First time cruising Carnival Embarkation day with Small Kids

codeyell0

Sailing 11\27 Mardi Gras
This will be our second cruise but our first will be in Oct. So for now I know very little.
I know everything is new right now. Especially with Mardi Gras things change. That said..
I wanted some tips for embarkation day with kids. Also what do we need to do day 1?
What is not available or what is?  Baby sitting day 1?  Water Park? what entertainment?

I keep hearing do specialty dining day 1, but we have kids they won't eat anything there. Spa specials 
Is there a good checklist for first day to do for families or with kids. 

52 minutes ago, Jayfo said:

Pack swim gear in your backpack/carry on and hit the waterpark and slides with little to no crowds 😉

Only if kiddos are potty trained - no swim diapers allowed (don't know how "small" the cruisers are).

6 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

No camp ocean on the recent carnival cruises? 

from https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

youth-programs-icon2.png

YOUTH PROGRAMS

Camp Ocean™: Supervised children’s programs for children under the age of 12 in Camp Ocean will not be offered at this time.

Circle “C”® & CLUB O2®: Unvaccinated youth and teenagers will not be permitted to participate in supervised Circle “C” and CLUB O2 youth programs.

28 minutes ago, chadci said:

Even if the camps were open, the first day was always just check in. I think they had some evening activities, but didn’t have camp until day 2. 

That I know. That's why I was curious what was open. I know things get closed to clean and maintain.

1 hour ago, codeyell0 said:

That's a game changer.

This has been published for a while now.  I am HOPING you have done your research and know we are not cruising as normal.  There are a lot of new requirements.  It would be wise to read the health requirements and updates on the Carnival home page (look in the top left corner of page).

Also, you do know if unvaccinated due to under 12 you have to get an approved exemption before you cruise with "little ones" right.  Many are being denied and it is not guaranteed.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

Swimsuits!!! We would all wear bathing suits under our clothes (boys wore their trunks as shorts). Sunscreen and any other pool needs (goggles, whatever).

Also bring a change of clothes for dinner if you plan to eat in main dining room - just in case your luggage doesn't get to your room quickly.

There's not too much going on other than food and sailaway... buffet will be open as soon as you board. Grab some food and a seat, check out the schedule, walk around and explore. 

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

This has been published for a while now.  I am HOPING you have done your research and know we are not cruising as normal.  There are a lot of new requirements.  It would be wise to read the health requirements and updates on the Carnival home page (look in the top left corner of page).

Also, you do know if unvaccinated due to under 12 you have to get an approved exemption before you cruise with "little ones" right.  Many are being denied and it is not guaranteed.

I have spoken to carnival a few times about my kids and no one ever mentioned anything. I called today and they said because your cruise is in December.

1 minute ago, codeyell0 said:

I have spoken to carnival a few times about my kids and no one ever mentioned anything. I called today and they said because your cruise is in December.

FINAL protocol for December has not been set.  They have only made the determinations through the end of October.  However, I would be prepared that this mandate will carry though to the end of the year.  If I was a betting person I would say you are going to find out that you have to follow all the same protocols as everyone cruising now including the required exemption.

Things like ports of call changing, camp carnival being closed, required check in times for everyone.. all these things will go with that.

• Like 2

PS:  Most people that want to avoid everything going on now are booking out into mid/late 2022 and 2023 because speculation across the board is this will be happening even after the end of this year.  The new rush of Covid cases is backing up our theory - they are not likely to veer from this course as long as things are the same or getting worse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fyree39 said:

How old are your kids? Yeah, there may not be much for them to do this early in the cruising game. It's anyone's guess as to what Nov/Dec cruises will be like. Carnival seems to be addressing cruising in 2-month groups. So far, they've only addressed through October.

My kids are 4 and 8 
There will be very little for them to do.   

I'm guessing (and it's only a guess based on current virus and other information) that the protocols in Nov/Dec will be similar to what they are now.  I don't see them easing a whole lot unless the new covid case numbers drop quite a bit again in the next couple of months.

• Like 2

Back when my 3 boys were around that age, two of them did not want to do the organized children activities.  The one that did go, opted out after the first day.  I understand the programs are excellent, but they just weren't interested (and they are very social).

We enjoyed the mini-golf, water slides, swimming, ping pong, eating, touring the ship, and excursions.  They really liked the MDR, the staff couldn't have been more entertaining and responsive.  There was crying our last night as we said good-bye to the waiters.

I will say, they did spend maybe an hour or two a day watching cartoons in their cabin, but then were begging to get back to the pool.

One memory they still talk about is getting on the top deck and trying to walk against the wind.  They would even jump and let the currents push them around.  Never heard them laugh harder.

My wife is very creative and came up with lots of search and find games around the ship.  And yet, she and I did find many opportunities to enjoy things just as a couple.

I hope that everything works out well for your cruise.  It was a blast as a family!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

My kids are 4 and 8 
There will be very little for them to do.   

My 8 year old has a good card. She’s had a few cruises where she mostly hung out with us and a few in camp. I think the biggest issue will be for us not being able to attend adults only events (Love and Marriage game as an example). We’re just looking forward to going - assuming she gets her exemption.  

I spoke with my cruise planner just now.  She said she was very optimistic. Right now my cruise has camp ocean scheduled. She said the emails she gets she thinks it will be fine. She had young kids too.
She said basically if she didn't feel comfortable she would start looking for plan b.  They have plans to start opening things like camp ocean.

My other cruise this year has kids camp open. 
My 8yr old wants to play with other kids. He's always jumping into other family gatherings at the pool or beach to play with the kids.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

IMy other cruise this year has kids camp open. 
My 8yr old wants to play with other kids. He's always jumping into other family gatherings at the pool or beach to play with the kids.  

What line is your other cruise on? October you said?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

MSC meraviglia October 9th

MSC requires masks indoors/public areas so that may be how they are able to open more things on the cruise ship.

Carnival only requires non-vaccinated guests to wear masks indoors.

1 hour ago, codeyell0 said:

I spoke with my cruise planner just now.  She said she was very optimistic. Right now my cruise has camp ocean scheduled. She said the emails she gets she thinks it will be fine. She had young kids too.
She said basically if she didn't feel comfortable she would start looking for plan b.  They have plans to start opening things like camp ocean.

My other cruise this year has kids camp open. 

I would start working on that plan B for sure.  I just don't see them changing protocol - except to maybe make things stricter not lighter under the circumstances happening right now.  Too many getting sick again and they can't afford to shut down.  You can see on other posts if you go read, that even people vaccinated are getting it and having to be taken off the ship and quarantined (a woman and her son tested positive, he wasn't vaccinated and she was - now her whole family is stuck in TX for 10-14 days).... 

I just don't see them allowing all these kids to start getting together and risk it... not this year anyhow.

• Like 1

My feeling is the landscape has changed with the Delta variant. Listening to the President speak today, it seems the long dark winter is starting now. My company is following the political demands and will require everyone on property to wear a mask indoors. I just pray this nonsense will blow over before my end of October cruise. 

• Like 1