NCL Studio Lounge access worth extra costs?

Tijmen

Hi,

I'm new here and considering booking a solo cruise with NCL Epic (sept 26 from Barcelona). I've heard that the Studios are worth booking due to the Studio Lounge access which makes it easy to meet people. However, on this particular cruise, the studio cabins are a few hundred euros more expensive than inside cabins. Is the studio lounge access worth the extra money? Are there other "ways" (i.e. events/meetups) to meet other solo cruisers?

Thanks!

I imagine you will hear different opinions. I always sail in the inside or balcony. There are still the solo groups you can attend AND I also meet lots of people who aren’t in solo rooms. 
I like the bigger room and the less money 🙂

• Like 2

The lounge is usually only accessible if you are in a solo cabin, except at designated times each evening..for meet ups for dinner, etc.  I was on the Epic in a solo cabin about 8 or 9 years ago.  It was a nice place to hang...I also worked on jigsaw puzzles, sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning.  Their was a small cooler, with yogart and drinks, coffee/espresso machine, that was available 24/7.  A bartender was working during the evening gatherings.

Also, the solo room is quite unique.

Always do the math!

The cheapest inside cabin price is likely to be for a Sail Away with no cabin selection and no Free At Sea package. Studio pricing always includes the current Free At Sea package. When you’re comparing prices, keep in mind what’s included in the price. 

Epic is kind of odd. This was the debut of the Studio cabin & Lounge, but the cabins are in a long line down the middle of the ship. The Lounge is by the forward elevators but there are Studio cabins all the way aft. On all other ships with this cabin type, the Studios are clustered together.

If you’re not picky about location and drink little or no alcohol, a Sail Away interior is often the cheapest option. You’ll still be able to attend solo gatherings but cannot otherwise access the Studio area (card access required). If you do want the booze package, then compare the regular inside pricing (categories IA through IF) to the Studio price.

Normally I would prefer a Studio because I really like having access to the lounge. It’s convenient to go there to refill my water bottle or grab a snack. It also offers free espresso drinks (self-serve push button espresso machine). However, unless I can book a cabin close to the lounge, I probably would not book a Studio on Epic. Heck, Epic pricing tends to be the lowest in the fleet, so I’d probably book a balcony!

FYI, if having a mini fridge in your cabin is important, go for an inside. Studio cabins don’t have them.

Yes, as paddy Anne said you're going to get lots of different opinions. I did a studio once---on the Bliss---partly because I wanted to see what the experience was like and partly because on that sailing the studios were less expensive than a single-occupancy regular interior. it was OK, but for me once was enough. The cabins are ingeniously designed but they're still small! The only benefit I got from the lounge was the espresso machine (I'm an espresso fanatic and have my own machine at home). But I didn't use the lounge as many people do, i.e., to meet other solo cruisers. I generally met people in the Observation Lounge, the gym, or elsewhere on the ship. If I sail solo on NCL again, i expect I'll get a regular inside cabin, enjoy the extra space, and pay for my espresso at Starbuck's.

• Like 1

I did my first solo cruise on the Epic in the studios.  I enjoyed the lounge but since I don't drink coffee or alcohol, I got less use of it than others.  Since I tend to wake at weird hours, it was nice to have a cup of tea and a cookie while I read my Kindle.

My next cruise after that I got a balcony cheaper than the studio.  The only time I could access the lounge for sure was in the early evening when they were organizing the evening meals and group trips to shows and events.  I didn't really didn't miss it that much.

If it is your first solo cruise then the lounge would let you have a place where you will meet fellow solos.  After that you will be better able to judge if it is worth the premium.

• Like 2

When the studio cabin is close to the same price as the inside I take the studio cabin.  The only time I would not take the studio is if the balcony was the same price.  But make sure you are not looking at the sail away price.  I would never book NCL Sail Away price because NCL over prices drinks and excursions where their give away look better.  

Now with the Studio; I really like the studio lounge.  It gives me the impression that I am sailing with the other people in the Studio cabins.  In the mornings I don't have to get dressed and I can go down to the lounge and get coffee and a Danish while I am waking up.  During the day their is messages and information in the lounge about things going on.  In the evening I can set and visit with other Solo travelers while we wait for dinner time.  Before going to bed I stop by the lounge and get a drink and snack to take to my room.  If I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep I can just mosey over to the lounge and do some computer work.  I still have friends that I communicate with that I have met in the Studio Lounge.

I have experienced that guarantee balcony is way cheaper then studios. So I always take guarantee balcony.  You can always join the meetups in the studio daily. So for me there is absolutely no point paying more for a tiny cabin.  

Sure I wont be able to take advantage of free latte and cookies but I am more then ok with that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed NCL 6 times. I have always traveled alone booking a studio but did get upgraded twice. Myself, I have never gotten very much out of the studio lounge and almost never used it. However other guests have. Guests sometimes meet and mingle in the lounge. There are get togethers for meals, clubs and excursions that are posted. 

I am a senior citizen and it seems that the lounge works better for younger persons, not necessarily young but younger than me.

As someone else said - do the math, but be sure you're comparing like-for-like as far as perks (if they matter to you).  I sailed the Studio on Bliss in April 2019 and quite liked it.  Yes, the cabins are small but there are PLENTY of other places one can go on the ship, including to the Studio lounge.  For my second trip I had my TA quote both the Studio and a balcony, including figuring airfare in (self-booked for the Studio, free/reduced airfare through NCL's perk at the time) and it cost me VERY little extra to sail in the balcony when all costs were considered.

Hmm. Okay, I’ve returned from my lovely Encore cruise in a Studio. This also means I have become reacquainted with:

• The espresso machine in the Studio Lounge
  • The coffee served in the Garden Cafe

Yeah, maybe I should stick with Studios… Or at least add ground coffee and an Aeropress to my packing list. 

Oh, I recall that there was some debate in another thread about the bed size. On Encore, the mattress in the Studio cabin was about 76” x 47”. However, there are slightly padded rectangular sections mounted on the wall at the head and one long side of the bed, both of which stick out 4” from the wall. Consequently, the effective mattress size was 72” x 43”. According to Google, the actual mattress size appears to be a European “small double.”

• 1 month later...

Good topic. I'm booked solo on the Epic TA cruise for April 2, 2022. The Studio cabin was priced at about $2850 and included the perks. The inside guaranty cabin was $2008, only perk is $50 off each excursion. But I don't drink so the drink package is pretty much worthless and actually would have cost an additional $300 for the gratuity charge for the 15 nights. I also like the additional room in the regular cabin, especially being just one in the room. So I booked the inside for the pretty large distance in price and I'll add a specialty dining package. They already assigned my cabin and booked me right outside the studios on deck 11 so it's possible they're assigning solo travelers the cabins alongside the studios. I'll definitely go to the open solo meets in the studio lounge. 

Edited by nferr

16 hours ago, Eenjinusa said:

Hi Tijmen, wow that is disappointing.  Can you share if other get togethers are happening? Maybe post a picture of the freestyle daily? Thanks 

There are no official meetups as far as I know, but I’m not staying in a solo cabin so don’t know if they still organize stuff which is not on the schedule. Will post a daily later. 

On the April 2 TA Epic cruise they just dropped the studio cabins down by 30%. So I transferred my inside sail away to a studio. With the free drinks, the dining package, internet etc. it works out cheaper. Especially since I now get 50% off return airfare from Barcelona. Have to keep checking the pricing.

• Like 1