NYC HOTEL

stunned

36 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend who died from Covid last year lived on 2nd.and 54 St.He loved Indian food .Amma,one of his favorites is still open .I have not been there for a few years but my friend and I went there often.

We won't be there long enough in October, but I've got to get it back on the list. Amma was just really nice. But forget portion control! You need a family of 8 to really enjoy the food! 😃

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

We won't be there long enough in October, but I've got to get it back on the list. Amma was just really nice. But forget portion control! You need a family of 8 to really enjoy the food! 😃

My friend and I had big appetites😀

• Haha 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

My friend and I had big appetites😀

We ate their 2-3 times while staying on Lex. I think we waddled out every time! Great family style food on individual plates, but there were two of us! And DW is just not that big...

I've become a big fan of South Indian food. Anju Sharma is influenced more by Northern India (Delhi), but the interpretation was always pretty amazing. Back on the list when we get a chance.

12 hours ago, markeb said:

We used to stay in Midtown East all the time. We gravitated to "Times Square South", otherwise known as the area around Penn Station, for ease from the train into Penn Station. You could literally drag bags without dealing with a cab.

When I look at the various hotel chain sites and Google maps, a lot of places I'm familiar with along Lexington are gone? Marriott Midtown East (which was a nice hotel), the W New York, the Waldorf Astoria (still in renovations?). I think the Doubletree is still there, and the Lexington, which was a kind of iffy Marriott property. I think there's a Hilton property at 48th or 59th along Lexington. But that's all pre-2020. We were always fans of Midtown East (other than trying to get a crosstown cab back to Penn Station...), but I don't know that I recognize it now. (Or a lot of Manhattan! We'll be up there in two weeks, and a lot of things are apparently just "gone"! The wife wanted to hit up the Talbots flagship store on Madison, and it's "Permanently Closed"!)

Lots of great properties still in Midtown East. The OP wanted to stay under $200. But if you want to bump it up, the Lotte Palace, and even better, the Lotte Palace Towers are wonderful for Christmas visits especially. Also on E 50, The Kimberly. 

Im not sure about the Waldorf ever coming back, I thought the entire thing was to become condos. 

13 hours ago, markeb said:

We ate their 2-3 times while staying on Lex. I think we waddled out every time! Great family style food on individual plates, but there were two of us! And DW is just not that big...

I've become a big fan of South Indian food. Anju Sharma is influenced more by Northern India (Delhi), but the interpretation was always pretty amazing. Back on the list when we get a chance.

I know that there are many good Indian restaurants in Northern Va.We have a friend in Arlington and friends in Fairfax.

In Manhattan I often went to Indian restaurants in an area referred to as “Little India”,Lexington Ave and the E.20’s.

This weekend I stayed at CitizenM hotel on 50th (between 7th and 8th) - clean,  quiet and nice restaurant/bar area of the lobby. They have another bar but we didn't go to it. All the staff we dealt with were very nice.

Rooms are small (think inside cabin!) but you have an ipad to control blinds, lights and AC, comfortable bed. Close to subway.

Doable walk to cruise terminal - actually walked down on Sunday to see the Breakaway! Would consider staying here if going on a cruise - this weekend was in NYC for a family event.

• Like 1

We are also cruising from Manhatten Terminal and will be staying the night before. I would suggest checking some of the booking apps. I have seen lots of prices that are less than $200/night including tax/fees. Some are national chains, some are sketchy sounding. We are flying into LaGuardia so will likely stay in the area around the airport (not on the airport). 

On 10/5/2021 at 8:52 AM, stunned said:

I booked the Millennium Premiere which I can cancel within 24 hrs of arrival or sooner if something better comes along. Location hopefully looked good for walking to a lot of attractions.

It’s on a nice block. And great that it is cancelable. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

It’s on a nice block. And great that it is cancelable. 

Thanks it’s a relief to know location is good.  I will keep an eye out for other deals, but can live with the rate I was able to get.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Anyone have suggestions for hotel with a lot of conveniences next door or very closeby, like a liquor or place to buy a couple bottles of  wine pre cruise.  Leaving from Brooklyn cruiseport (Red hook) in August.  Would like a safe area, clean hotel around $200 a night is okay. Brooklyn or Manhattan financial district is okay too.  Not do concerned about sightseeing, we don’t have much time.

Conveniences are most important.
TIA

you are rarely more than 1/3 mile from a liquor/wine store in NYC. I'd look for a hotel on Kayak or whatever your favorite search engine is that fits your price for your specific dates then plug the hotel into google maps and use their "nearby" feature to confirm closest locations for your beverages.

• Like 1