Downgrading Reservation

ScottC4746

Due to personal financial situations that have arisen, we need to downgrade our reservation.  We are currently on Solstice from Seattle round trip in Sept to Alaska in a Retreat suite.  This is our first time to Alaska as the last one got canceled thanks to a world wide event.  It is also our first Celebrity changing from HAL.  What is the difference between Sky Suite where we are booked and a Concierge Class or an Verandah.  We would lose the private dining and club and the OBC would be reduced I am sure.

Oh this might not be easy to do if it is even possible.  You are clearly past Final Payment day, meaning no refunds.  Do you have a travel agent? Or did you book directly with Celebrity.  I hate to be too negative but I don’t think you can do what you want to do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Oh this might not be easy to do if it is even possible.  You are clearly past Final Payment day, meaning no refunds.  Do you have a travel agent? Or did you book directly with Celebrity.  I hate to be too negative but I don’t think you can do what you want to do.

Oops sorry, Sept 2022.

Yes, You would lose Luminae, Retreat access and you OBC might be reduced.

I do enjoy sky suites and Luminae.

Concierge Class or an Verandah are both nice. With Concierge you will have lunch in the main dining room after boarding. You will dine in the main dining room in the evenings. Celebrity has set or Select Dining (My time dining). Or you could use some of the money saved on specialty dining. Celebrity has AquaClass, but only 2 guest per cabin and you will dine in Blu. A private restaurant for AquaClass. 

Just saw the update

My favorite Concierge Class C2 are 2105, 2106, 2107, 2108. Right out to the pool and up one level to the buffet. Also these cabins are on a angle and are are larger and more covered. Might be good for Alaska.

32 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Due to personal financial situations that have arisen, we need to downgrade our reservation.  We are currently on Solstice from Seattle round trip in Sept to Alaska in a Retreat suite.  This is our first time to Alaska as the last one got canceled thanks to a world wide event.  It is also our first Celebrity changing from HAL.  What is the difference between Sky Suite where we are booked and a Concierge Class or an Verandah.  We would lose the private dining and club and the OBC would be reduced I am sure.

Yes you would lose the private dining assigned for suites and the OBC would most likely be based on the current pricing for the new category booked. 

I do not recommend spending extra money for Concierge class. All you really get is a bottle of cheap bubbly and a dining room lunch with very limited menu on embarkation day,  You can book any veranda cabin that is on an angled area of the ship and it will also have a larger balcony just like the above mentioned concierge class cabins.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

I do not recommend spending extra money for Concierge class. All you really get is a bottle of cheap bubbly and a dining room lunch with very limited menu on embarkation day,  You can book any veranda cabin that is on an angled area of the ship and it will also have a larger balcony just like the above mentioned concierge class cabins.

Good to know.  Only one of us drinks so bubbly is useless on us and I hate sparkling cider with a pasion.

6 minutes ago, 39august said:

I agree fully. Unless you are trying to build your Captain's Club points, the cost of a Concierge Class cabin is seldom worth it. They will on occasion come close to the cost of a veranda, in which case I might book one, but generally I'd not bother.

If I were in your spot I’d call my TA, or celebrity if you booked direct, and book a 1A cabin, then use the savings to book a 3 or 4 day specialty dining package. Murano is my favorite restaurant at sea. You may need to be rebooked to downgrade but it will still save you lots of $. The Solstice is a very nice ship. 

First look at the cost of the lower categories.  The current cost is what you would pay.  It is no different than if you were doing a new booking.  

You may be surprised to see that there is currently not much difference in the price you paid and the cost of a lower category considering  the perks and amenities that you are getting.  

Another option is to do another booking and keep both until final payment.   We have done this even though we were told it is frowned on or not allowed.   Your financial situation may improve.   If you can’t book the same cruise with another lower cabin at the same time do one the week before or the week after.  We have also done that and ended up doing B2B. One in a suite and one in a lower class.   

Alaska cruises are fantastic.   We did a B2B and what we didn’t do on the first cruise we did on the 2nd.    It was strange  waking up at 3 in the morning and it wasn’t dark.   There was about 2 hours of darkness and it didn’t get very dark. 

From reviews that I have read being  in a suite in Alaska will get you more special viewing opportunities and other special perks.    

We were in a suite but on a different cruise line and they didn’t offer anything in a suite except for the larger cabin but we loved it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hi depending which sailing 

sept 02 has a 1A available 8252 which is the first cabin on the hump

extra large balcony

Sept 09 has an aft Aqua1 cabin available it is showing as an accessible cabin 

but is open for booking

hope this helps both are offering good savings.

6 hours ago, 39august said:

Second this. Concierge Class is a complete waste of money. Either book a Suite or a nice Veranda room.

• Like 1

Lucky you!!!! Stayed in this cabin and it was perfect! Large balcony and great view!. Since I cannot afford suites, this is my number 1 choice. As much as I loved Aqua class Blu restaurant , I would much rather have this balcony and use the savings to use in specialty  restaurants. 

23 minutes ago, Grandma7 said:

Lucky you!!!! Stayed in this cabin and it was perfect! Large balcony and great view!. Since I cannot afford suites, this is my number 1 choice. As much as I loved Aqua class Blu restaurant , I would much rather have this balcony and use the savings to use in specialty  restaurants. 

I've never had an angled balcony before nor a room with an angled exterior wall.  That will take some getting used to.  Plus side is no connecting.

Personally, I don't think the extra money is worth it for the suite and Retreat in Alaska.  You won't be spending much time on a balcony or in the Retreat outdoor areas on this cruise, especially in September.

The main dining room and specialty restaurants are very good and if you are trying to save some money, I'd go with a regular veranda as you've just done. The larger angled verandas are awesome and I'm in one on Equinox (I hope) later this Fall. Solstice is a great ship!  ENJOY!

My two cents....

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Personally, I don't think the extra money is worth it for the suite and Retreat in Alaska.  You won't be spending much time on a balcony or in the Retreat outdoor areas on this cruise, especially in September.

The main dining room and specialty restaurants are very good and if you are trying to save some money, I'd go with a regular veranda as you've just done. The larger angled verandas are awesome and I'm in one on Equinox (I hope) later this Fall. Solstice is a great ship!  ENJOY!

My two cents....

And now I will add mine. If you can't be in the suite, then a Veranda will be fine. We never liked Blu and Concierge is not worth it. I would book both rooms and see what happens. Watch prices closely. Have either of you had prior military service? With a DD214 you can get the miltary rate which is $100. off the regular price. You just have to have served, not retired. As long as you have a balcony, you should be fine.

23 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Easy peasy got an A1 8252.  Anyone familiar with that one?

Hi Guys, you have a fantastic cabin you will love it 

these are probably the best location on the ship and the 

balcony is huge enjoy 👍🏻