The vaccination olympics

27 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Amazing, I think that must be the best vaccination rate of a city in the world for first doses.

Yes it is,Ā 

In other good news, the TGA have gone through the first stage in approval processĀ of the PfizerĀ vaccine for 5-12 year olds and it is looking good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sewgood said:

Amazing, I think that must be the best vaccination rate of a city in the world for first doses.

ACT people are intelligent as manyĀ work for the Federal Government, unlike some of those ferals up in Northern New South Wales, only 48% jabbed, plenty of anti vaxxers/alternate lifestyle people up there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope we can soon get to the stage of booking an appointment with our GP to get all vaccines, especially the 3rd dose as protection from COVID19.Ā 

If we had known it was going to take so long for borders to open we might have waited, since we were taking all other precautions and will likely continue to do so.

Once the borders open it will be more risky.

The double vaxxed effect might have diminished after several months, leaving many vulnerable.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have read that the lasting effectivenessĀ  is better with AZ than the others, but either way a booster is likely in the future. The big questionĀ  is whether it will be just the one booster like Hep A, or a booster like Tetanus every 5 years, or yearly like the flu shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have read that the lasting effectivenessĀ  is better with AZ than the others, but either way a booster is likely in the future. The big questionĀ  is whether it will be just the one booster like Hep A, or a booster like Tetanus every 5 years, or yearly like the flu shot.

I'm also hearing that AZ is outlasting Pfizer.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The Brits are lining up for their 3rd jab or booster. I have a half sister who works in Southend Hospital, she just got her third one. I suppose the booster policy will flow on to here.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Ā 

That doesn't accord with the research I've seen. The overall percentage of protection is lower with AZ after six months.

I've also seen the opposite. Pfizer efficacy dropping after six months to equal AZ. There was an article on the ABC website a few days ago.

9 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'll try to find the article I was reading the other day which researched this. That'll be a job for tomorrow though!

Much easier to find articles about Pfizer efficacy dropping than it is with AZ efficacy dropping, 2 min GoogleĀ search bought this (Iā€™m partial to Australian data) - Pfizer dropped 22% faster than AZ - Ā but saying this both drop off.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/covid-19-vaccines-work-but-their-efficacy-fades-st

But so far only seeing advice for Front Line and immuno compromised needing boosters as yet.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That was one of the reports I had seen.

Ā 

I haven't been able to find the article I was reading which had lots of interesting graphs and included data up to six months after second dose but I have found similar information for a three month period in a couple of places and I"ll put the link below.

Ā 

Basically, Pfizer falls by a greater percentage over three months but still has a higher rate of efficacy than AZ - so whilst I was very grateful to have the AZ and would take it any day, I'd rather have the higher protection of Pfizer - fingers crossed the booster shot for the over 60's will be announced soon, as age also factors into how well the vaccines work, especially over time.

Ā 

Pfizer went from 90-78% over three months after second dose and AZ went from 67-61% against infections.

Ā 

This article has slightly different figures; none of these figures are set in stone, of course.

Ā 

https://canberraweekly.com.au/oxford-study-finds-covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-wanes/

Ā 

Ā 

5DFF3027-6B27-4048-ABFA-A7CA64BB597A_1_105_c.jpeg

So, we oldies who got the AZ double dose would get Pfizer or Moderna (mRNA) boosters Ā - while those who waited patiently for Pfizer double dose would get AZ boosters - thatā€™s here in Aus of course?Ā 
Interesting šŸ¤”Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Porky55

19 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

So, we oldies who got the AZ double dose would get Pfizer or Moderna (mRNA) boosters Ā - while those who waited patiently for Pfizer double dose would get AZ boosters - thatā€™s here in Aus of course?Ā 
Interesting šŸ¤”Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yes, those who got AZ would get oneĀ of the mRNA vaccines as a booster but I think I saw those who got Pfizer could get Moderna or AZ.

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Interesting šŸ¤”

Ā 

Depends. According to the studies in the article there was a dramatic increase in immune response from Pfizer booster after a course of AZ but the opposite wasn't as effective. In America a small study mixing mRNA vaccines didn't achieve a dramatic increase in immune response however those who had a J&J shot then a mRNA shot saw a huge increase in antibody activity but mRNA then J&J didn't do much. It seems we need way more research in terms of getting the most effective mix. But one thing the studies seem to suggest is mixing vaccine is so far pretty safe however we are talking pretty small studies.The research is really useful for developing countries to be able to mix vaccines, it would help with their supply issue though no one seems to have studied much about mixing the Russian and Chinese vaccines. So much still to learnšŸ¤“.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

It seems we need way more research in terms of getting the most effective mix.

The other thing that also needs way more research is - what sectors of the population actually need boosters, will yearly boosters be required - and on it goes ā€¦ā€¦ but as Novavaxā€™s jab is a ā€œspike proteinā€ could be used as a booster for both the mRNA vaxes and AZā€™s.

Source: ABC News

Novavax uses a traditional vaccine approach of using purified pieces of the coronavirus to spur an immune response in the body.

The body can then make antibodies to the spike proteins that cover the coronavirus.

Ā 

Source:Ā https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/how-will-novavax-fit-into-australia-s-covid-19-vac

Booster or primary dose?
The DoH says it is still considering whether the vaccine would be used as a primary dose or a booster.
Ā 
While the clinical trial ā€“ which used two doses of the vaccine ā€“ took place before the dominant Delta variant had fully emerged, the company reported trials in August suggesting it would also be an effective booster.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2