Sapphire princess 21 Dec 21 MEL - NZ - MEL

frodo1

I think that’s the question on everyone who has a cruise sailing from Australia’s mind. Our concern is not only whether the cruise will sail but also whether we will be allowed into Australia.

If I am honest, and from what I have read, I don’t think the international border will be open anytime soon and I am not sure cruiselines will sail ships to Australia for half of a season.   Total speculation though. 

Just wish a decision would be made so we could make alternative arrangements if we are unable to sail/

On 8/3/2021 at 3:26 PM, frodo1 said:

We're booked on this cruise but are aware that earlier cruises have been cancelled. Will it sail?

Will it sail to NZ - unlikely.

Will it sail as a domestic-only itinerary - possibly as that is what has happened to South Pacific itineraries out of Australia.

Keep your fingers crossed. It may very well depend on whether Princess decides if it's worth bringing Sapphire down here.

I've just booked an NZ Christmas / New Year cruise out of Sydney in December on Royal. I don't expect it will go to NZ but I'm hoping it will be a nice Australian itinerary. If it gets cancelled no big deal, I'll get my FCCs back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I think that’s the question on everyone who has a cruise sailing from Australia’s mind. Our concern is not only whether the cruise will sail but also whether we will be allowed into Australia.

If I am honest, and from what I have read, I don’t think the international border will be open anytime soon and I am not sure cruiselines will sail ships to Australia for half of a season.   Total speculation though. 

Just wish a decision would be made so we could make alternative arrangements if we are unable to sail/

I'm fairly certain the international border won't be open by then. However there have been a few positive signs in the last few days that indicate that some cruises will happen here from mid-December onwards. 

WILL WE SAIL!

My thinking is booking this cruise (other than we've done it previously and really enjoyed the itinerary and on-board entertainment!) was that:

*  there is huge political and economic pressure on both the Oz and NZ Federal Governments to reopen national borders and restore international travel; and

*  It's starting to look like Oz may be able to resolve the absolute debacle of under-ordering of sufficient vaccine stock.

I think we have a good chance of sailing, but it might be tight!

Although the Tasman Bubble (which allows travel between Oz & NZ without the mandatory 14 days self-funded hotel quarantine) has been suspended by NZ for eight weeks and is likely to be extended until the current NSW outbreak can be contained or squashed, there is a likelihood that Oz will achieve 80% vaccination by the beginning of December '21 and therefore 3 things should be possible:

*  The Tasman Bubble will be re-instituted;

*  Fully-vaccinated pax will be allowed to cruise; and

*  Fully-vaccinated pax will be allowed to use International air travel to enter and leave Oz and NZ.

The only question is whether Princess Cruises will hold off cancelling the cruise long enough for the Oz & NZ Governments to sort things out. Fingers crossed!

On 8/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, frodo1 said:

WILL WE SAIL!

My thinking is booking this cruise (other than we've done it previously and really enjoyed the itinerary and on-board entertainment!) was that:

*  there is huge political and economic pressure on both the Oz and NZ Federal Governments to reopen national borders and restore international travel; and

*  It's starting to look like Oz may be able to resolve the absolute debacle of under-ordering of sufficient vaccine stock.

I think we have a good chance of sailing, but it might be tight!

Although the Tasman Bubble (which allows travel between Oz & NZ without the mandatory 14 days self-funded hotel quarantine) has been suspended by NZ for eight weeks and is likely to be extended until the current NSW outbreak can be contained or squashed, there is a likelihood that Oz will achieve 80% vaccination by the beginning of December '21 and therefore 3 things should be possible:

*  The Tasman Bubble will be re-instituted;

*  Fully-vaccinated pax will be allowed to cruise; and

*  Fully-vaccinated pax will be allowed to use International air travel to enter and leave Oz and NZ.

The only question is whether Princess Cruises will hold off cancelling the cruise long enough for the Oz & NZ Governments to sort things out. Fingers crossed!

Final payment on those December Princess cruises isn't until early October and by then we'll have a clearer picture of what is happening with the current Delta outbreaks.

I doubt NZ will open to cruise ships this season. In that case Princess may change the itineraries to Australia-only ports, like they have already done with South Pacific itineraries. However if Delta is still running rampant around Australia by the end of September I expect all cruises will be cancelled.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...