More Cancellations...Fred Losing the Plot???

Britboys

Had an email from Fred this morning to say that they have changed the itineraries of a small number of cruises, one of which is mine. When our (me and a cruise buddy) had a Bolette cruise for May last year cancelled, we decided to use the money for another cruise in April next year. Our 'new' cruise was to visit Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, with a transit of the Kiel Canal. We chose this having lost a Kiel Canal transit that we had booked on Boudicca for 2020!

Fred's email this morning said that "we have taken the difficult decision to change the itinerary for your cruise". The changes mean that Balmoral will no longer visit Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark or the Kiel Canal. Instead, they will be very happy to transfer us to the new itinerary, which visits Portland, Belfast, Kirkwall, Lerwick and Invergordon!!!!!!!!!!

I am very angry with Fred on two particular counts. One, that they have decided to cancel a cruise which is still 8½ months away with no explanation why, and two, that they very disingenuously try to suggest they have simply changed the itinerary. No Fred, you have cancelled one cruise and replaced it with something totally different!!!

Fred has had almost the full balance for this cruise for 18 months now and have twice changed our cruise significantly for reasons not directly related to the Covid Pandemic. Is it any wonder that I am fuming...?

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Had an email from Fred this morning to say that they have changed the itineraries of a small number of cruises, one of which is mine. When our (me and a cruise buddy) had a Bolette cruise for May last year cancelled, we decided to use the money for another cruise in April next year. Our 'new' cruise was to visit Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, with a transit of the Kiel Canal. We chose this having lost a Kiel Canal transit that we had booked on Boudicca for 2020!

Fred's email this morning said that "we have taken the difficult decision to change the itinerary for your cruise". The changes mean that Balmoral will no longer visit Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark or the Kiel Canal. Instead, they will be very happy to transfer us to the new itinerary, which visits Portland, Belfast, Kirkwall, Lerwick and Invergordon!!!!!!!!!!

I am very angry with Fred on two particular counts. One, that they have decided to cancel a cruise which is still 8½ months away with no explanation why, and two, that they very disingenuously try to suggest they have simply changed the itinerary. No Fred, you have cancelled one cruise and replaced it with something totally different!!!

Fred has had almost the full balance for this cruise for 18 months now and have twice changed our cruise significantly for reasons not directly related to the Covid Pandemic. Is it any wonder that I am fuming...?

In answer to your question - no.

I also suggest your title would be better with the word lost rather than loosing.  As you say it sounds totally lacking in any sort of reason.

I  very sorry to hear this has been done with your cruise, particularly as I know you were so disappointed at loosing the Keil cruise previously and how loyal you were being to Fred generally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finalising some bits before heading off for a hotel stay tonight but looked at my rather quick reply last night.  As is obvious, Fred has not got a leg to stand on regards saying it is an itinerary change, but he does know how to wind people up I must say.  The only thing I can think is that he may have decided that getting into Amsterdam and Kiel Canal make it too expensive a cruise to run.  He certainly cannot have it both ways though - we all know he has become very expensive, but if he is not even supplying good itineraries (and supplying them), IMO we may just as well be on a bigger ship in a balcony cabin, which can easily be booked for the same price as a Fred Inside.  Sitting in the public rooms and on deck on Borealis was not a particularly worthwhile thing to do as we could not sit there and look out to sea like we could on the  previous ships, so could be landlocked anywhere.  It is not a small ship IMO.

I got notification my review had been approved a day or so ago, but it is still not showing automatically with the other two reviews, but I have been given a link which works:-  Borealis Review by tring    I will not have internet from tomorrow midday until a week the following Saturday, so will have limited availability to answer any questions - not that I think you will have any interest in continuing to book future cruises with Fred.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tring said:

I got notification my review had been approved a day or so ago, but it is still not showing automatically with the other two reviews, but I have been given a link which works:-  Borealis Review by tring    I will not have internet from tomorrow midday until a week the following Saturday, so will have limited availability to answer any questions - not that I think you will have any interest in continuing to book future cruises with Fred.

Thanks for the review of your cruise.  I am saddened to hear about the canned music in so many places.  I am a great lover of quiet.  And I do hope that outdoor seating on the prom deck increases once Covid restrictions east more.  That would be a great loss to those of us who cannot afford balcony cabins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tring said:

Just finalising some bits before heading off for a hotel stay tonight but looked at my rather quick reply last night.  As is obvious, Fred has not got a leg to stand on regards saying it is an itinerary change, but he does know how to wind people up I must say.  The only thing I can think is that he may have decided that getting into Amsterdam and Kiel Canal make it too expensive a cruise to run.  He certainly cannot have it both ways though - we all know he has become very expensive, but if he is not even supplying good itineraries (and supplying them), IMO we may just as well be on a bigger ship in a balcony cabin, which can easily be booked for the same price as a Fred Inside.  Sitting in the public rooms and on deck on Borealis was not a particularly worthwhile thing to do as we could not sit there and look out to sea like we could on the  previous ships, so could be landlocked anywhere.  It is not a small ship IMO.

Great, balanced review Barbara. Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it isn't just Fred that is cancelling cruises so far in advance. I had an email from Celebrity cancelling our South America and Antarctic B2B in February 2022. This comes after Celebrity had already changed the ship from Silhouette to Infinity for the Covid cancelled 2020 cruise so we were unable to get our much anticipated aft balcony. we have also lost our Hurtigtuten S. America cruise for the 3rd time!

It is all very disappointing but I have great sympathy for the cruise lines as I don't think they make these changes on a whim.

My concern is that my DH and I  are rapidly getting older and I really want to see these destinations before I can no longer travel but I also realise that there are people in the world who are having a desperate time so I'm trying to count my blessings. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, Izzywiz said:

Unfortunately, it isn't just Fred that is cancelling cruises so far in advance. I had an email from Celebrity cancelling our South America and Antarctic B2B in February 2022. This comes after Celebrity had already changed the ship from Silhouette to Infinity for the Covid cancelled 2020 cruise so we were unable to get our much anticipated aft balcony. we have also lost our Hurtigtuten S. America cruise for the 3rd time!

It is all very disappointing but I have great sympathy for the cruise lines as I don't think they make these changes on a whim.

My concern is that my DH and I  are rapidly getting older and I really want to see these destinations before I can no longer travel but I also realise that there are people in the world who are having a desperate time so I'm trying to count my blessings. 

I can understand any cruise line having major doubts about South America early next year but my cruise was to Northern Europe. They are still selling similar itineraries both before and after mine that has been cancelled.

• Like 1