WHO can compare MSC YC with Celebrity „The Retreat“?

paddy1112

1 hour ago, Gatordad1967 said:

Did they let you off the ship in Nassau to walk around on your own?  That's why we cancelled our Edge back in Sept.  Now we have a big credit coming, lol

Just in case your itinerary is changed to Roatan or Cozumel. Roatan, there is only one gentleman at the entry to the port with a big bottle of hand sanitizer.No displaying of passports or vaccination cards, just the requirement that all passengers wear masks indoors and outdoors, and have a squirt of hand sanitizer coming and going.

Cozumel, tours on your own are permitted. Unless you have an unvaccinated under 12 years old, then you must take excursion provided by Celebrity. Local authorities REQUIRE all guests wear masks indoors. Outdoors masks are RECOMMENDED.

I have never sailed in the Retreat Area on borad X- I love X- ships though- obviously - since I cruised with them on over 20 cruises.

Just 5 days ago I debarked the MSC Seaside. I was booked in a YC Suite. The YC experience is really really great- I loved every minute of it! Yes- it is a bubble- yes leaving YC is a little like a Culture Shock.

I loved the YC so much- that I will book again- in YC- NOTHING ELSE  with MSC.

The service was top notch- the suite very spacious and nice! My best suite so far!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just in case your itinerary is changed to Roatan or Cozumel. Roatan, there is only one gentleman at the entry to the port with a big bottle of hand sanitizer.No displaying of passports or vaccination cards, just the requirement that all passengers wear masks indoors and outdoors, and have a squirt of hand sanitizer coming and going.

Cozumel, tours on your own are permitted. Unless you have an unvaccinated under 12 years old, then you must take excursion provided by Celebrity. Local authorities REQUIRE all guests wear masks indoors. Outdoors masks are RECOMMENDED.

We were just in Cozumel..  Didn't wear a mask, and they sorta looked the other way.

Would love to check out Roatan

We were booked on the Edge in Sept...The Retreat being scattered is one thing we didn't think we'd like, I like the Ship Within a Ship concept.  Food on Celebrity looks fancier than MSC.  I guess the real answer is what do you want out of your suite experience?  That helps in making recommendations.  I don't think you will go wrong either way......

• Like 1

Here is an interesting moment on the MSC Seaside that was 'telling' of the "ship within a ship" concept.  We had a request of the deck personnel which they needed permission to comply.  We did not know that every request had to go through the YC Director. So we thought we should pop down to guest services. What a mistake !  A long line. By the time it was our turn, the frazzled purser asked to see our cabin card and immediately called over her supervisor. The supervisor took our card and motioned us over to the side away from guest services and got on her cell phone. The person on the other end of of the phone said they were already aware of our request and to send us back to the Yacht Club. We went up the elevator and the YC Director was waiting for us at the YC entrance. His greeting to us was "Anything you want, Mr. Morpheus." 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is an interesting moment on the MSC Seaside that was 'telling' of the "ship within a ship" concept.  We had a request of the deck personnel which they needed permission to comply.  We did not know that every request had to go through the YC Director. So we thought we should pop down to guest services. What a mistake !  A long line. By the time it was our turn, the frazzled purser asked to see our cabin card and immediately called over her supervisor. The supervisor took our card and motioned us over to the side away from guest services and got on her cell phone. The person on the other end of of the phone said they were already aware of our request and to send us back to the Yacht Club. We went up the elevator and the YC Director was waiting for us at the YC entrance. His greeting to us was "Anything you want, Mr. Morpheus." 

Yeah, the Concierge in YC is awesome.  We asked to eat in main dining room one night because I liked an entree.  They called down and made a ressie. When we got there, the hostess said we have been expecting you (how they knew it was us is beyond me).  When we went to YC to eat next, Luis, the Maitre'd (know I spelled that wrong), said if you want anything from MDR, let us know, we will get it for you here.  And they did, and it was awesome.  French Onion soup 5 nights in a row, lol.. more Burrata than is at the Italian Market in your town.....

• Like 2

The YC has evolved and is evolving. Things vary by ship.  Not all rooms are in the YC.  Divinia has YC rooms on 12.  Mera has duplex on two floors.

Divina has restaurant at back.  Seaside take stairs up from lounge.  Mera go back a few steps then up'

13 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I have cruised Celebrity for 20+ years and with MSC for only 2 years.  Who can you trust when things go awry ?  MSC are bad news, now we avoid at all costs, its just not worth the hassle.

What does this have to do with the YC or the Retreat?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

In one word 'TRUST'

You are comparing your views on the lines themselves. This does *nothing* to help the OP decide between YC and Retreat.

This is especially true since sailing in the YC on MSC is a *completely* different experience than sailing non-YC.

There are plenty of threads here talking about how "bad" MSC is...you should consider posting there.

Or, post a helpful comparison of YC vs. Retreat. As it stands, saying "trust" doesn't tell anyone anything. Especially since you can go to the X board and hear lots of complaints there about how Celebrity "screwed" them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

You are comparing your views on the lines themselves. This does *nothing* to help the OP decide between YC and Retreat.

This is especially true since sailing in the YC on MSC is a *completely* different experience than sailing non-YC.

There are plenty of threads here talking about how "bad" MSC is...you should consider posting there.

Or, post a helpful comparison of YC vs. Retreat. As it stands, saying "trust" doesn't tell anyone anything. Especially since you can go to the X board and hear lots of complaints there about how Celebrity "screwed" them.

Maybe MSC is not for him.

• Like 2

Can you TRUST them to provide what you booked ?  We booked YC aboard MSC Spendida, only for them to transfer booking to another MSC ship without a Yacht Club and then refuse to give a refund.  Best advise to anyone is to AVOID MSC and stick with Celebrity. 

On 10/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

This photo was taken this morning of the MSC Meraviglia sailing in besides us on the Celebrity Edge. We do not bother anymore with itinerary. We appreciate more the safer, mask free, sailing of Celebrity. Presently in the Royal Suite on Edge, but appreciate much more the spaciousness of the Royal Suite on Seaside (as well as price). Your priority presently is itinerary, ours is maskless cruising. We are booked on the Seashore in both (but not the same time)  the OS and RS, one week at a time, for 7 sailings and will change back to Celebrity should the mask wearing continue for those sailings in 2022. The rest of this year is Celebrity.

IMG_1322.jpg

OMG.  I was on the YC pool deck when you took this....haha.  I zoomed in but can't tell if the shadow at the rail (center of the YC pool deck) is me or not, but I know I was there when we pulled into Nassau.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Can you TRUST them to provide what you booked ?  We booked YC aboard MSC Spendida, only for them to transfer booking to another MSC ship without a Yacht Club and then refuse to give a refund.  Best advise to anyone is to AVOID MSC and stick with Celebrity. 

Again, does ZERO to help the OP who is trying to compare YC to Retreat.

It's obvious you have an axe to grind - and maybe you are justified in doing it. I'm just saying post on topic or start a new post.

If you can't see how saying "MSC is bad" isn't on topic for comparing YC to Retreat then I guess there is nothing else I can say to you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

.......and will continue to do so, people need to be aware of MSC practices.....untrustworthy

LOL, glad you are championing them 🙂

Now people will stop sailing, and I'll have the YC all to myself!

Please also do this for X as I want to sail the Retreat but their prices are too high.

See how I kept this on topic? YC prices are lower than Retreat prices 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

.......and will continue to do so, people need to be aware of MSC practices.....untrustworthy

Mickey, you really need to get over it - or, with all due respect, seek help.

We’ve come to a crossroads as far as MSC is concerned (tomorrow’s cruise will be our 24th with the company) and have booked a suite on Celebrity for next year.  I would appreciate it if you didn’t de-rail this thread any further as I am more interested in the comparisons than in your experiences with MSC. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Thanks for sharing your opnion.

I have found just the opposite with my MSC experience in doing a recent YC B2B (sept 25-Oct 9, 2021).  Having done enough market research on the brand and offerings I was very comfortable spending what I did and still think they offer a great value for how I enjoy sailing. My current sailing experience is limited to RCCL, NCL, Silversea (pre RCCL takeover), Celebrity, and MSC.

In January I am doing a YC B2B on Meraviglia (10 Days) then switching to the Retreat on Edge (7days) and can provide more insight, but as said previously and I agree that they are two different, but similar products offered at different price points.

• Like 2

Here is my comparison from 2018-9

Comparison of Celebrity Sky Suite and MSC Yacht Club Experience

We sailed on the Celebrity Summit in December 2018 in Sky Suites (B2B with two different cabins) and MSC YC Divina in January 2019.  Basically the same Caribbean itineraries so won’t go into that except to say that we had over $1,400 in OBC on Celebrity so did take a Celebrity excursion in many cases.  Will also say that we are Elite (soon to be Elite+) so there are attendant benefits like free laundry that do come into play.  Obviously things like food and service are entirely subjective.  We enjoy good food and wine but don’t need lots of care and attention.

Where basically the same

Welcome bottle of sparkling wine (MSC was a nice bottle of Asti Spumanti) and daily fruit

Butler (more on this later)

Exclusive restaurant

Exclusive Club/Lounge offering comfortable seating, quietatmosphere to converse or read

Pillow menu

Afternoon Tea in exclusive lounge

24/7 room service available

Priority embarkation and debarkation (walked off the ship and given priority)

Tub with shower

Premium drink package (useable throughout ship)

TV choices very limited and expensive

Where Celebrity Shines

·         Quality of meat and ingredients in Lumanae

·         Embarkation was smooth—entered, registered, and directed onto the ship—the CD took us to Michael’s Club and introduced us to Pavel, the MC Concierge.

·         Medium rare request is honored in Lumanae

·         Efficient service in Lumanea—no long waits or surprising intervals and hot food was hot and cold food was cold; our waiter, Gide, was outstanding and attentive

·         Sommelier in Lumanae (though seemed to be also working in MDR)

·         Free unlimited internet for suites; can use ilounge for computers and printer

·         Sheets

·         Toiletries (Bulgari)

·         Prompt service in Michael’s Club for drinks

·         Muster is organized (don’t underestimate this!)

·         Comfortable sun loungers (even though not exclusive)

·         Full size beach towels

·         Communication from captain and crew

·         Balcony was larger (though no footstools on Summit)

·         When debarkation was delayed due to a port strike, there was LOTS of communication by way of notices and announcements.  Captain and CD are to be commended for how it was handled.

Where MSC Yacht Club Shines

·         Access to YC with seapass; seapass also operates two elevators for expedited service

·         YC tent at embarkation:  met by a butler, luggage tagged and you are walked through security to the YC terminal lounge where there is champagne, fruit juices and cookies/pastries

·         Top Sail Lounge is at the bow with lots of windows—the views are spectacular!

·         Top Sail Lounge has snack buffet all day—changed out by the time of day and full bar service

·         One Pool area with reserved pool, hot tubs and sundeck for YC only so plenty of loungers

·         One Grill and Bar on YC pool deck with “to your sun loungerservice”; umbrella covered tables also available.  Lifeguard on duty at pool.

·         Le Muse open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day whether in port or not

·         Mini-bar is included—sodas, bottled fruit juices, vodka, gin, scotch plus salty nibbles like nuts and refreshed twice daily

·         Daily full newspaper delivered to your door each morning (choice of WP, WSJ, NYP plus one more that I can’t remember).  These are real newspapers as opposed to a daily one page summary

·         Two large bottles each of Pellegrino and still water in room daily; can request more

·         Cabin (16034) had plenty of storage—couldn’t even use it all

·         Towels are to die for—thick and thirsty

·         Butler walks you off for excursions (MSC or your own) and debarkation—to the head of the line

·         Free access to the thermal spa

·         Pre-purchase of laundry:  $20 for 10 items washed, dried and ironed

·         Status match with other cruise companies, hotels, etc.  Be sure to do this before you make a reservation as this can give you a nice discount on your cruise

·         Includes free gelato (and it is excellent) at the two different gelato shops

·         Pastas made on board and risottos!  Outstanding, really!  Pizza in Eater-ly is also outstanding.

·         Breads and desserts are great

·         The music on the ship is at a reasonable level---including at the pool

Where Celebrity didn’t match up

·         Butler was visible but there was no offer of walking off the ship to avoid the crowds; in addition, our butler the first week was barely visible.  Other than making a reservation and making sure that we had bottled water in our cabin, not much else was done.

·         If internet and/or laundry is not a benefit, Celebrity is VERY expensive compared to MSC

·         The Lumanae sommelier was either very new or not good because he couldn’t recommend wines beyond the menu recommendations.  Nor was he creative about possibilities.  Typically, we got one pour of wine and then he disappeared.  Once the bottle was left on our table so we could refresh.  Rarely saw him toward the end of the meal to order an after dinner drink.

·         This is not a biggie but was a real surprise:  the only metal surface for magnets was the cabin door.  I like to post my calendar and excursion documents.  This may change after refurbishing but it was a surprise.

·         Tub/shower is difficult to step into and out of because floor levels are not equal.  There is a full shower curtain and you can hold onto the counter but I was waiting to slip on a wet marble floor.

·         The nibbles in Michael’s Club are really pretty pathetic.  At least on our cruise, they switched from leaving them in the cabin to serving them in MC.  Either step it up or forget it!

·         Music levels are WAY too loud!  You can’t carry on a conversation without shouting.

·         Way understaffed!  One bartender in Martini Bar???  Seemed like the crew were overwhelmed and not enough people to do the work.

Where MSC didn’t match up

·         Communication is a challenge.  Butlers were supposed to walk us from the YC Terminal Lounge up to the Top Sail Lounge on the ship.  This did not happen.  USA rules won’t allow ship butlers to go beyond the sea pass kiosk.  Embarkation was delayed by over two hours (with no communication why) so by the time embarkation started, there were 75 YC passengers ready to board.  One butler led us all through the terminal and up to the ship kiosk and left.  There was a group of ship butlers standing to the side and talking amongst themselves but no one seemed to be aware that this large group was YC.  A group of ten or so of us walked onto the ship only to be faced with crew who had no idea where YC was or how to get there!  Finally, a woman in a blue uniform came by and showed us to the forward elevator bank for YC.  Once we got to the YC Concierge, she was busy on the phone and not available for questions.  It was late (2pm+) and we had no idea how to get to Le Muse (at the aft) for lunch—we looked at the ship map and found our way.  Not exactly the welcome we anticipated!  In addition, the ship left port three hours late.  So much for sail away!  There was also a delay at debarkation—again, no communication or reasons.

·         Quality of meat, fish and ingredients was OK but not great.  Stopped ordering fish because it was fishy and often overcooked.  Meat was “choice” grade and often on the tough side.  Vegetables were overcooked and sometimes almost cool/cold.

·         An order of medium rare came repeatedly as medium to medium well.  Portion sizes were huge.

·         Ossobucco and Prime Rib were served with heavy gravy on top despite the menu saying a jus, for examples of disconnects.

·         Food often came out warm rather than hot.  We began to suspect that side dishes came from the buffet (deck below) as when we walked through the buffet after dinner, exactly the same thing on the lines!

·         No dedicated sommelier.  She was in Le Muse only two nights out of ten.  Le Muse felt very disorganized—you had no idea who was who.  Wine came from almost anyone.  Tried all the red wines offered—if you like your reds less than full bodied, you will be a happy camper.  Thankfully a Cruise Critic member suggested Obernon Cabernet—we requested it and there was a bottle for us each evening after we spoke with multiple managers.

·         The eggs at the grill were consistently overcooked.  It was also difficult to coordinate hot eggs and hot toast as the buffet doesn’t lend itself well to that.  The waffles are the frozen kind.

·         The snack selections at the Top Sail were changed out a number of times a day:  continental breakfast, light snacks, tea, and nibbles for evening but were exactly the same every day.  They were excellent but after ten days, you get a little tired of the same thing.

·         Internet (we received 3MB as a perk) is by MB rather than unlimited and limited to two devices—so no signing on and off to use another device.  I was offered a $27 upgrade to 7MB when I signed on for the first time which allowed 4 devices.  Took it!

·         Minimal sea day activities.  Given the young demographic of the ship—many young adults, children and 40’s—plus the international part, it would be challenging.  Lots of dancing and fitness activities though.

Overall impressions:

We like Celebrity but their pricing and stale itineraries are beginning to get beyond the value for us.  Where they excel against MSC is in food and drink service.  Food on Celebrity is far superior to MSC—especially comparing the two exclusive restaurants.  MSC is price competitive though if food is not a big thing for you.  MSC YC is the only way to go on their larger ships.  Kids sail free on MSC so the ship beyond YC is busy and chaotic.  We enjoyed the ship on several port days when we were able to walk around without the crowds.  We booked two more cruises on MSC and are getting ready to book another.

Much more I could say but this is already long!  If you have questions, please ask.  I know that others have posted reviews of this MSC cruise and there are videos.  Same is true of the Summit cruises.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, PRH said:

Here is my comparison from 2018-9

Comparison of Celebrity Sky Suite and MSC Yacht Club Experience

We sailed on the Celebrity Summit in December 2018 in Sky Suites (B2B with two different cabins) and MSC YC Divina in January 2019.  Basically the same Caribbean itineraries so won’t go into that except to say that we had over $1,400 in OBC on Celebrity so did take a Celebrity excursion in many cases.  Will also say that we are Elite (soon to be Elite+) so there are attendant benefits like free laundry that do come into play.  Obviously things like food and service are entirely subjective.  We enjoy good food and wine but don’t need lots of care and attention.

Where basically the same

Welcome bottle of sparkling wine (MSC was a nice bottle of Asti Spumanti) and daily fruit

Butler (more on this later)

Exclusive restaurant

Exclusive Club/Lounge offering comfortable seating, quietatmosphere to converse or read

Pillow menu

Afternoon Tea in exclusive lounge

24/7 room service available

Priority embarkation and debarkation (walked off the ship and given priority)

Tub with shower

Premium drink package (useable throughout ship)

TV choices very limited and expensive

Where Celebrity Shines

·         Quality of meat and ingredients in Lumanae

·         Embarkation was smooth—entered, registered, and directed onto the ship—the CD took us to Michael’s Club and introduced us to Pavel, the MC Concierge.

·         Medium rare request is honored in Lumanae

·         Efficient service in Lumanea—no long waits or surprising intervals and hot food was hot and cold food was cold; our waiter, Gide, was outstanding and attentive

·         Sommelier in Lumanae (though seemed to be also working in MDR)

·         Free unlimited internet for suites; can use ilounge for computers and printer

·         Sheets

·         Toiletries (Bulgari)

·         Prompt service in Michael’s Club for drinks

·         Muster is organized (don’t underestimate this!)

·         Comfortable sun loungers (even though not exclusive)

·         Full size beach towels

·         Communication from captain and crew

·         Balcony was larger (though no footstools on Summit)

·         When debarkation was delayed due to a port strike, there was LOTS of communication by way of notices and announcements.  Captain and CD are to be commended for how it was handled.

Where MSC Yacht Club Shines

·         Access to YC with seapass; seapass also operates two elevators for expedited service

·         YC tent at embarkation:  met by a butler, luggage tagged and you are walked through security to the YC terminal lounge where there is champagne, fruit juices and cookies/pastries

·         Top Sail Lounge is at the bow with lots of windows—the views are spectacular!

·         Top Sail Lounge has snack buffet all day—changed out by the time of day and full bar service

·         One Pool area with reserved pool, hot tubs and sundeck for YC only so plenty of loungers

·         One Grill and Bar on YC pool deck with “to your sun loungerservice”; umbrella covered tables also available.  Lifeguard on duty at pool.

·         Le Muse open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day whether in port or not

·         Mini-bar is included—sodas, bottled fruit juices, vodka, gin, scotch plus salty nibbles like nuts and refreshed twice daily

·         Daily full newspaper delivered to your door each morning (choice of WP, WSJ, NYP plus one more that I can’t remember).  These are real newspapers as opposed to a daily one page summary

·         Two large bottles each of Pellegrino and still water in room daily; can request more

·         Cabin (16034) had plenty of storage—couldn’t even use it all

·         Towels are to die for—thick and thirsty

·         Butler walks you off for excursions (MSC or your own) and debarkation—to the head of the line

·         Free access to the thermal spa

·         Pre-purchase of laundry:  $20 for 10 items washed, dried and ironed

·         Status match with other cruise companies, hotels, etc.  Be sure to do this before you make a reservation as this can give you a nice discount on your cruise

·         Includes free gelato (and it is excellent) at the two different gelato shops

·         Pastas made on board and risottos!  Outstanding, really!  Pizza in Eater-ly is also outstanding.

·         Breads and desserts are great

·         The music on the ship is at a reasonable level---including at the pool

Where Celebrity didn’t match up

·         Butler was visible but there was no offer of walking off the ship to avoid the crowds; in addition, our butler the first week was barely visible.  Other than making a reservation and making sure that we had bottled water in our cabin, not much else was done.

·         If internet and/or laundry is not a benefit, Celebrity is VERY expensive compared to MSC

·         The Lumanae sommelier was either very new or not good because he couldn’t recommend wines beyond the menu recommendations.  Nor was he creative about possibilities.  Typically, we got one pour of wine and then he disappeared.  Once the bottle was left on our table so we could refresh.  Rarely saw him toward the end of the meal to order an after dinner drink.

·         This is not a biggie but was a real surprise:  the only metal surface for magnets was the cabin door.  I like to post my calendar and excursion documents.  This may change after refurbishing but it was a surprise.

·         Tub/shower is difficult to step into and out of because floor levels are not equal.  There is a full shower curtain and you can hold onto the counter but I was waiting to slip on a wet marble floor.

·         The nibbles in Michael’s Club are really pretty pathetic.  At least on our cruise, they switched from leaving them in the cabin to serving them in MC.  Either step it up or forget it!

·         Music levels are WAY too loud!  You can’t carry on a conversation without shouting.

·         Way understaffed!  One bartender in Martini Bar???  Seemed like the crew were overwhelmed and not enough people to do the work.

Where MSC didn’t match up

·         Communication is a challenge.  Butlers were supposed to walk us from the YC Terminal Lounge up to the Top Sail Lounge on the ship.  This did not happen.  USA rules won’t allow ship butlers to go beyond the sea pass kiosk.  Embarkation was delayed by over two hours (with no communication why) so by the time embarkation started, there were 75 YC passengers ready to board.  One butler led us all through the terminal and up to the ship kiosk and left.  There was a group of ship butlers standing to the side and talking amongst themselves but no one seemed to be aware that this large group was YC.  A group of ten or so of us walked onto the ship only to be faced with crew who had no idea where YC was or how to get there!  Finally, a woman in a blue uniform came by and showed us to the forward elevator bank for YC.  Once we got to the YC Concierge, she was busy on the phone and not available for questions.  It was late (2pm+) and we had no idea how to get to Le Muse (at the aft) for lunch—we looked at the ship map and found our way.  Not exactly the welcome we anticipated!  In addition, the ship left port three hours late.  So much for sail away!  There was also a delay at debarkation—again, no communication or reasons.

·         Quality of meat, fish and ingredients was OK but not great.  Stopped ordering fish because it was fishy and often overcooked.  Meat was “choice” grade and often on the tough side.  Vegetables were overcooked and sometimes almost cool/cold.

·         An order of medium rare came repeatedly as medium to medium well.  Portion sizes were huge.

·         Ossobucco and Prime Rib were served with heavy gravy on top despite the menu saying a jus, for examples of disconnects.

·         Food often came out warm rather than hot.  We began to suspect that side dishes came from the buffet (deck below) as when we walked through the buffet after dinner, exactly the same thing on the lines!

·         No dedicated sommelier.  She was in Le Muse only two nights out of ten.  Le Muse felt very disorganized—you had no idea who was who.  Wine came from almost anyone.  Tried all the red wines offered—if you like your reds less than full bodied, you will be a happy camper.  Thankfully a Cruise Critic member suggested Obernon Cabernet—we requested it and there was a bottle for us each evening after we spoke with multiple managers.

·         The eggs at the grill were consistently overcooked.  It was also difficult to coordinate hot eggs and hot toast as the buffet doesn’t lend itself well to that.  The waffles are the frozen kind.

·         The snack selections at the Top Sail were changed out a number of times a day:  continental breakfast, light snacks, tea, and nibbles for evening but were exactly the same every day.  They were excellent but after ten days, you get a little tired of the same thing.

·         Internet (we received 3MB as a perk) is by MB rather than unlimited and limited to two devices—so no signing on and off to use another device.  I was offered a $27 upgrade to 7MB when I signed on for the first time which allowed 4 devices.  Took it!

·         Minimal sea day activities.  Given the young demographic of the ship—many young adults, children and 40’s—plus the international part, it would be challenging.  Lots of dancing and fitness activities though.

Overall impressions:

We like Celebrity but their pricing and stale itineraries are beginning to get beyond the value for us.  Where they excel against MSC is in food and drink service.  Food on Celebrity is far superior to MSC—especially comparing the two exclusive restaurants.  MSC is price competitive though if food is not a big thing for you.  MSC YC is the only way to go on their larger ships.  Kids sail free on MSC so the ship beyond YC is busy and chaotic.  We enjoyed the ship on several port days when we were able to walk around without the crowds.  We booked two more cruises on MSC and are getting ready to book another.

Much more I could say but this is already long!  If you have questions, please ask.  I know that others have posted reviews of this MSC cruise and there are videos.  Same is true of the Summit cruises.

AMAZING comparison. I would like to add/point out just a few things as it seems you sailed on Divina.

1) Seaside/Seashore and Meraviglia have showers (very large) instead of tubs. The balconies on Seaside/Seashore are also huge.

2) The YC restaurant in in the YC area on these ships also (instead of at the opposite end like on Divina)

3) Unlimited internet is now included in YC

4) Crepes as well as gelato are included. However, on Meraviglia neither is included 😞 

5) The thermal spa on Meraviglia and Seaside/Seashore is VASTLY superior to that on Divina.

But this is the best comparison I've seen to date. I, too, have wanted to sail Retreat but the price point is just too high for me. Your post has been very helpful.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, alyssamma said:

AMAZING comparison. I would like to add/point out just a few things as it seems you sailed on Divina.

1) Seaside/Seashore and Meraviglia have showers (very large) instead of tubs. The balconies on Seaside/Seashore are also huge.

2) The YC restaurant in in the YC area on these ships also (instead of at the opposite end like on Divina)

3) Unlimited internet is now included in YC

4) Crepes as well as gelato are included. However, on Meraviglia neither is included 😞 

5) The thermal spa on Meraviglia and Seaside/Seashore is VASTLY superior to that on Divina.

But this is the best comparison I've seen to date. I, too, have wanted to sail Retreat but the price point is just too high for me. Your post has been very helpful.

I can't recall if you sailed Divinia recently, but if you did, did you see Gelato anywhere?  I checked where I remember it being and they were all closed unless I missed a spot.