Norwegian Encore – The Great Cruise Comeback Live

BirdTravels

Thank You BirdTravels!  I am new to Cruise Critic, New to NCL, and new to Alaska Cruises. My cruise is at the end of August and your information is extremely helpful for a first timer.  R U a travel agent, or someone who loves cruising and is being kind to share your experience and insight?  Again, thank you.  Thank you everyone on this Board for their helpful information as well.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mm253 said:

Is NCL leaving the dailies in the cabins nightly? TIA

No. These are actually screen grabs from the NCL app. For those of us who grew up with paper, you can pick up a “real” daily at Guest Services.  They are available later in the evening. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BirdTravels said:

No. These are actually screen grabs from the NCL app. For those of us who grew up with paper, you can pick up a “real” daily at Guest Services.  They are available later in the evening. 

I like the app. More convenient. Thanks! Have a great week! 

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There will be more videos. Today is Valentine’s Day, Christmas, New Years Day, Independence Day, and all of the Birthdays not celebrated on NCL ships due to the pandemic. 

3CFBB153-7168-41E5-8CF3-F601E55F2022.thumb.jpeg.1d43d1b2c99a8ae79258226fa3074dd4.jpeg

08945819-BBBF-421B-B52D-35A9588C9A8C.thumb.jpeg.c15ab8f3d45943fccd48d47e5bc15ecd.jpeg

I love this! What a good idea.

24 minutes ago, ecco41 said:

Thank You BirdTravels!  I am new to Cruise Critic, New to NCL, and new to Alaska Cruises. My cruise is at the end of August and your information is extremely helpful for a first timer.  R U a travel agent, or someone who loves cruising and is being kind to share your experience and insight?  Again, thank you.  Thank you everyone on this Board for their helpful information as well.  

The Bird is just someone who loves to cruise. Like cruising, me. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Wink87 said:

Another poster asked about a handicapped/mobility issue regarding standing in a long covid test line. Do you know if they made accommodations? Hubby is on oxygen and that line would not be manageable for him.

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

Hi Bird, did Haven passengers queue with everyone else or did they have a different line?

There was no apparent accommodation for handicap guest with the exception of an elevator vs stairs to get down one floor to the test center. Check with the people managing the line when you get there 

There was no Haven line for testing. And the people at the Marriott were from Eurofin and not the cruise line or local agent, so they would not know what a Haven is. There was a Haven checkin once you pass your test and get into the terminal. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

Just now, BirdTravels said:

There was no apparent accommodation for handicap guest with the exception of an elevator vs stairs to get down one floor to the test center. 

There was no Haven line for testing. And the people at the Marriott were from Eurofin and not the cruise line or local agent, so they would not know what a Haven is. There was a Haven checkin once you pass your test and get into the terminal. 

Thanks Bird, enjoy 😉 

• Like 1

A comment on the testing debacle. We were on the first Royal cruise out of Nassau (Royal’s first North American cruise). Royal tested 100% of the passengers at check-in. Royal’s vendor had double the number of test stations for 1/3 the number of passengers. 

I talked with the Eurofins manager and he said that they were expecting 2700 passengers. He set up 14 testing stations, not placed well to maximize flow. (Royal had over 35 stations on a dedicated ballroom). May be it was NCL who tried to save the cost of another ballroom. Don’t really know.

There was clearly a capacity issue with the test vendor. That was only complicated by the fact that their servers kept crashing with everyone constantly refreshing to check for their test results (a separate system to managing testing vs outward facing queries would have been a better architecture). 

NCL had Testing and waiting for results crammed into one ballroom at the Marriott. (Royal had three separate rooms to minimize congestion.). 

While ultimately it was an NCL failure, the testing vendor, Eurofins, really screwed it up and promised more than they could deliver. That what you get when you accept a low bid offer. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ecco41 said:

"At the end of August" - does that mean you're on the August 28th sailing?  If so, welcome to our cruise!  You can find a roll call for this sailing at

Be sure to register there for our Meet & Greet party.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Sign up with disabilities. Anyone on Oxygen goes under this umbrella. They would be able to assist you with all of this so you don’t have to worry about it. 

Ty so much!

6 minutes ago, njkingston said:

If we are staying at the Marriott Waterfront, can we leave out luggage in our room and just go up and get it after our COVID test?  Or do we have to head straight to the ship (Do not pas ‘Go’, do not collect $200)

I believe Bird mentioned that the Marriott's COVID testing begins at 8:30, so the suggestion was to head down prior to checking out of your hotel room to get your test completed, then check out and head to the pier. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, njkingston said:

If we are staying at the Marriott Waterfront, can we leave out luggage in our room and just go up and get it after our COVID test?  Or do we have to head straight to the ship (Do not pas ‘Go’, do not collect $200)

We are staying at the M before our Sept 18 cruise. I called the hotel and they said they would hold your luggage at the desk when you go for testing then you can pick up on your way to the ship. Mary

• Like 3