Latest Seabourn change to vaccination requirements

cruiseej

I've been keeping close tabs on Seabourn's travel requirements pages ahead of our cruise at the end of September. I noticed that the document had been updated on August 4, and while it doesn't affect us, I'm sharing this information here as it may affect some of Canadian and European travelers booked on cruises from US ports later this year who received a mixed regimen of vaccines (e.g. different manufacturer first and second doses).

Previous language:

If I received doses of different vaccines, per my country’s allowable vaccine protocols, is this considered acceptable as fully vaccinated?

Vaccine Interchangeability (mixing) for two-dose authorized vaccines. To be considered fully vaccinated, national authorities have determined which vaccines, and combinations of vaccines, are acceptable. For Barbados, travelers who have mixed vaccine regimens of Ministry of Health and Wellness approved vaccines will be considered fully vaccinated. (E.g. first dose of one brand followed by 2nd dose of another which is not a one-dose regiment.)

Updated (Aug. 4) language:

If I received doses of different vaccines, per my country’s allowable vaccine protocols, is this considered acceptable as fully vaccinated?
To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of a US FDA or WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of authorized vaccines and have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day of embarkation.

For cruises departing the United States, the CDC require both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (each dose is from either Pfizer and Moderna.) No other combinations are considered fully vaccinated.

For cruises outside of the United States, you may be regarded as fully vaccinated if you have received your first dose of AstraZeneca followed by a single dose of mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to complete the 2-dose series.

So as I read this, if you received one dose of AstraZenica and one of Pfizer, and you are on one of the cruises departing from Miami, you will not be permitted to travel. Of course, this could change again tomorrow, but I wanted to share this heads up to travelers who are affected.

The only other change I spotted was that they finally -- belatedly -- updated the language about shore excursions. Until recently the Seabourn document said: 

Will shore excursions be limited or can I explore the destinations independently?
Shore excursions offered by Seabourn are strongly encouraged as local officials oversee health and safety standards for these guides. Independent tours or on-your- own exploration are currently permitted by local authorities. While on shore, guests are required to follow local health and safety direction and requirements as advised by tour operators which currently include masks, physical distancing and enhanced sanitation guidelines. Guests are advised that shore excursion operations are subject to change on short notice due to revisions in local health restrictions.

Well, this was their intent, but it was never the case starting with the first Barbados cruise, so this language has been out of date for several weeks. Now, it's updated to reflect what has turned out to be the current reality:

Will shore excursions be limited or can I explore the destinations independently?
You will be able to go ashore, but, during our initial return to sailing, this will only be through shore excursions sold by or through Seabourn using tour operators who comply with COVID-19 controls, or limited to port areas that have no public access. We will have pre-arranged transportation to and from the ship for you to use. Self- exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold by Seabourn will not be permitted.

• Thanks 2

Currently, UK, Ireland ,EU (Schengen) citizens are not permitted to enter the U.S irrespective of vaccine status. So until that changes Miami arriving and departing cruises are off the table for us anyway. 

However, longer term, when we are allowed back into the US, I believe that in the UK the only people who had mixed vaccine are those who are taking part in trials.

Talking to family in Canada, it seems some people there have     been receiving mixed vaccines.

Edited by Isklaar

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I've been keeping close tabs on Seabourn's travel requirements pages ahead of our cruise at the end of September. I noticed that the document had been updated on August 4, and while it doesn't affect us, I'm sharing this information here as it may affect some of Canadian and European travelers booked on cruises from US ports later this year who received a mixed regimen of vaccines (e.g. different manufacturer first and second doses).

Previous language:

Vaccine Interchangeability (mixing) for two-dose authorized vaccines. To be considered fully vaccinated, national authorities have determined which vaccines, and combinations of vaccines, are acceptable. For Barbados, travelers who have mixed vaccine regimens of Ministry of Health and Wellness approved vaccines will be considered fully vaccinated. (E.g. first dose of one brand followed by 2nd dose of another which is not a one-dose regiment.)

Updated (Aug. 4) language:

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of a US FDA or WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of authorized vaccines and have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day of embarkation.

For cruises departing the United States, the CDC require both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (each dose is from either Pfizer and Moderna.) No other combinations are considered fully vaccinated.

For cruises outside of the United States, you may be regarded as fully vaccinated if you have received your first dose of AstraZeneca followed by a single dose of mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to complete the 2-dose series.

So as I read this, if you received one dose of AstraZenica and one of Pfizer, and you are on one of the cruises departing from Miami, you will not be permitted to travel. Of course, this could change again tomorrow, but I wanted to share this heads up to travelers who are affected.

The only other change I spotted was that they finally -- belatedly -- updated the language about shore excursions. Until recently the Seabourn document said: 

Shore excursions offered by Seabourn are strongly encouraged as local officials oversee health and safety standards for these guides. Independent tours or on-your- own exploration are currently permitted by local authorities. While on shore, guests are required to follow local health and safety direction and requirements as advised by tour operators which currently include masks, physical distancing and enhanced sanitation guidelines. Guests are advised that shore excursion operations are subject to change on short notice due to revisions in local health restrictions.

Well, this was their intent, but it was never the case starting with the first Barbados cruise, so this language has been out of date for several weeks. Now, it's updated to reflect what has turned out to be the current reality:

You will be able to go ashore, but, during our initial return to sailing, this will only be through shore excursions sold by or through Seabourn using tour operators who comply with COVID-19 controls, or limited to port areas that have no public access. We will have pre-arranged transportation to and from the ship for you to use. Self- exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold by Seabourn will not be permitted.

Can anyone presently onboard verify if you have been allowed to explore independently? Or are they only allowing you to go ashore on tours as stated above? 

15 hours ago, greeneyedgirl58 said:

Can anyone presently onboard verify if you have been allowed to explore independently? Or are they only allowing you to go ashore on tours as stated above? 

@greeneyedgirl58 So far, the Caribbean cruises have no independent travel allowed -- only Seabourn excursions. This is apparently a condition imposed by Barbados, where the cruises are beginning and ending. As I noted above, this is stated in Seabourn's policy, and has been confirmed by multiple cruisers aboard the Odyssey during the first three weeks of sailings.

The only small exception was this week in Bequia, one of the islands of St. Vincent and the Grenadines which was substituted as a port call instead of Grenada, where passengers were allowed to use a beach adjoining the pier.

Whether Barbados will change their rules, or how this might be different for cruises not originating in Barbados this winter, is anyone's guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, Isklaar said:

Currently, UK, Ireland ,EU (Schengen) citizens are not permitted to enter the U.S irrespective of vaccine status. So until that changes Miami arriving and departing cruises are off the table for us anyway. 

However, longer term, when we are allowed back into the US, I believe that in the UK the only people who had mixed vaccine are those who are taking part in trials.

Talking to family in Canada, it seems some people there have     been receiving mixed vaccines.

Many Canadians had mixed doses.  Our prime minister, the premier of our province and the health minister, all got Astra dose one, not sure what their second dose was.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone heard if Seabourn will be doing Covid tests at the port (Miami) like Oceania is doing for their passengers? 

I know they haven’t started from Florida yet but it sure would make things easier. 

Edited by WNcruiser

who knows about new barabdos travel protocol before cruise starting in Bridgetown?

we need 2 days before for quarantine in special hotel?

how about b2b day in bridgetown= excursion possible?

how about end of cruise coming back to Barbados some days in beach hotel ? quarantine again`?

getting more and more confusing planning something !!

what are you doing pre and past crusie?