Embarkation Ports

Wouldn't it be lovely if Marella had made provision for embarking on the UK cruises from Liverpool and Greenock as well as Southampton just like MSC, especially as the option to book the coach to the ports in Newcastle and Southampton are not available at this time.

Sometimes I get the impression that Marella just can't be bothered. Very inflexible with some things. Eg. adding an extra weeks cruise to a two week cruise or adding a week in a hotel to a two week cruise. Their IT systems can't deal with it.  

8 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Wouldn't it be lovely if Marella had made provision for embarking on the UK cruises from Liverpool and Greenock as well as Southampton just like MSC, especially as the option to book the coach to the ports in Newcastle and Southampton are not available at this time.

Sometimes I get the impression that Marella just can't be bothered. Very inflexible with some things. Eg. adding an extra weeks cruise to a two week cruise or adding a week in a hotel to a two week cruise. Their IT systems can't deal with it.  

Their trading model is basically that of a Package Holiday, rather than a cruise. They are used to providing a flight and either a one or two centre hotel...

I don't think Marella are alone in not planning more regional departures.

Nicola's ban on cruise ships calling into, or even embarking or disembarking passengers in any Scottish port until quite recently certainly did not help any line with forward planning.  FRED had to cancel the few Rosyth sailings thay had already planned for their ships which had been laid up in Rosyth.

And Azamara had three ships laid up in Glasgow until this last week but didn't take on any passengers when two of the three sailed away.  It would have been an opportunity for those closer to Glasgow than Southampton to have an easy start to a trip.  Perhaps they are undergoing restart trials.

Maybe by this time next year, the "new normal" will have more regional departures for several lines and this could include more regional flights over winter instead of "the same old".  Fingers crossed.

If it wasn't for the pandemic there would be no UK departures for Marella cruises as they had decided to drop the UK sailings. They may revert to this business decision if things ever get to near normal but who knows.

edit - they dropped UK sailing several years ago as well. It is a business decision, apparently they were not making any money out of it.

Edited by davecttr

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I don't think Marella are alone in not planning more regional departures.

Nicola's ban on cruise ships calling into, or even embarking or disembarking passengers in any Scottish port until quite recently certainly did not help any line with forward planning.  FRED had to cancel the few Rosyth sailings thay had already planned for their ships which had been laid up in Rosyth.

And Azamara had three ships laid up in Glasgow until this last week but didn't take on any passengers when two of the three sailed away.  It would have been an opportunity for those closer to Glasgow than Southampton to have an easy start to a trip.  Perhaps they are undergoing restart trials.

Maybe by this time next year, the "new normal" will have more regional departures for several lines and this could include more regional flights over winter instead of "the same old".  Fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

53 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

The 3 Azamara ships that were in Glasgow (the last one sails this evening) sailed directly to dry dock in Cadiz, the company had a change of ownership back in February so there has been a lot of work started on the ships while they were in Glasgow which will be completed in Cadiz. They all needed re certifying before being able to carry passengers again, this has been a problem for a number of cruise companies as many of the dry docks closed during the pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you expect to be able to get on except at the start and end of a cruise?

It is NOT a bus service.

For instance,  you want to get on and off at Greenock? What if it doesn't go to Greenock on next cruise.

The extreme follow-up scenario would be every cruise has to allow anyone to start/finish at any port.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

1 hour ago, idh2019 said:

Why would you expect to be able to get on except at the start and end of a cruise?

It is NOT a bus service.

For instance,  you want to get on and off at Greenock? What if it doesn't go to Greenock on next cruise.

The extreme follow-up scenario would be every cruise has to allow anyone to start/finish at any port.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

Why are you so rude ?  Did I say I just wanted to get on the ship at Greenock.  I said it would be good to be able embark the ship at Greenock or Liverpool and not just at Southampton for UK cruises.

Since cruises have resumed at the start of the summer MSC have given passengers the option of embarking / disembarking at three different ports. This saves passengers from travelling long distances by train or coach to the ports during the pandemic. 

All I said was it would have been nice if Marella did the same.

I have embarked/ disembarked a few times at Port of Tyne for Baltic and repositioning cruises to the Med with Thomson and Marella.  In normal times there would be a payable coach service available to book from several areas around the UK to the port. Unfortunately this service is not available at present.  I would have been happy to travel to Newcastle if this was the case but having some health issues I didn't relish the journey to the Tyne with my luggage on public transport. 

Some of the recent Marella cruises have had less than 500 passengers on board. Had they followed MSC's example perhaps more people would have booked. Hence the reason I booked MSC.

I boarded this beautiful ship at Greenock, sailed to Belfast , Liverpool, Portland, Southampton and back to Greenock. Premium AI, beautiful balcony cabin, good choice of food, friendly service and cheaper than Marella.

PS. I have been on over 50 cruises with Thomson / Marella over the past 20 years.

Hello nancyneptune

A few weeks ago I read that Greenock are in the process of extending their berths to accommodate more cruise ships.  Also, on BBC Scotland last week,  I watched a report about Aberdeen port extending to accommodate cruise ships and this looks as if it is well underway.  Here's hoping in the next couple of years there will be no more long trips to congested airports and overnight stays at the start and end of cruises.

When we first started cruising in the dark ages (1989) with Thomson, and did not have their own ships then, they had several cabins allocated on cruise ships and a rep travelled with us and there was usually one stop where they took on/off passengers during the cruise. 

Have been happy with (Thomson/Tui) now Marella all these years and hope they take advantage of the Scottish ports opening up.

11 hours ago, skioncruises said:

Hello nancyneptune

A few weeks ago I read that Greenock are in the process of extending their berths to accommodate more cruise ships.  Also, on BBC Scotland last week,  I watched a report about Aberdeen port extending to accommodate cruise ships and this looks as if it is well underway.  Here's hoping in the next couple of years there will be no more long trips to congested airports and overnight stays at the start and end of cruises.

When we first started cruising in the dark ages (1989) with Thomson, and did not have their own ships then, they had several cabins allocated on cruise ships and a rep travelled with us and there was usually one stop where they took on/off passengers during the cruise. 

Have been happy with (Thomson/Tui) now Marella all these years and hope they take advantage of the Scottish ports opening up.

Hi skioncruises,

Yes there is a 19 million pound development at Greenock. It can already accommodate huge cruise ships and several cruise lines call into Greenock regularly including FO, Azamara, Cunard, Silversea, R C as well as smaller luxury ships cruising to the Western Isles, Ireland, Iceland and the Baltic.

I have embarked at Greenock with FO on cruises calling at Irish ports and Liverpool. The sail away from Greenock is beautiful. Lets hope that more of the big names that have been calling into Greenock on the UK cruises decide to offer more cruises where we can embark and disembark at the port like MSC have done this summer.

Much as I love my Marella cruises I am becoming more disillusioned with some of the decisions being made by TUI regarding cruises, flights and package holidays from Scottish airports even before the pandemic. Sometimes I wonder if the decision makers even know where Scotland is. So much for them saying we fly from your doorstep. Manchester, Birmingham and Gatwick are not on my doorstep. 

The effects of the pandemic will be with us for a long time and many people are still wary of foreign travel.  Would it be too much to ask Marella to have one ship based in the UK next year with options to embark from at least one Scottish port ?  I'm sure many would jump at the chance to book and some cruise lines may also be looking at this. Marella are always too slow to act and could be missing a good opportunity.

16 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Why are you so rude ?  Did I say I just wanted to get on the ship at Greenock.  I said it would be good to be able embark the ship at Greenock or Liverpool and not just at Southampton for UK cruises.

Since cruises have resumed at the start of the summer MSC have given passengers the option of embarking / disembarking at three different ports. This saves passengers from travelling long distances by train or coach to the ports during the pandemic. 

All I said was it would have been nice if Marella did the same.

I have embarked/ disembarked a few times at Port of Tyne for Baltic and repositioning cruises to the Med with Thomson and Marella.  In normal times there would be a payable coach service available to book from several areas around the UK to the port. Unfortunately this service is not available at present.  I would have been happy to travel to Newcastle if this was the case but having some health issues I didn't relish the journey to the Tyne with my luggage on public transport. 

Some of the recent Marella cruises have had less than 500 passengers on board. Had they followed MSC's example perhaps more people would have booked. Hence the reason I booked MSC.

I boarded this beautiful ship at Greenock, sailed to Belfast , Liverpool, Portland, Southampton and back to Greenock. Premium AI, beautiful balcony cabin, good choice of food, friendly service and cheaper than Marella.

PS. I have been on over 50 cruises with Thomson / Marella over the past 20 years. Destiny, Dream, Majesty, Celebration, Discovery, Spirit, Cruise on Explorer cancelled last year due to Covid. 

3 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hi skioncruises,

Yes there is a 19 million pound development at Greenock. It can already accommodate huge cruise ships and several cruise lines call into Greenock regularly including FO, Azamara, Cunard, Silversea, R C as well as smaller luxury ships cruising to the Western Isles, Ireland, Iceland and the Baltic.

I have embarked at Greenock with FO on cruises calling at Irish ports and Liverpool. The sail away from Greenock is beautiful. Lets hope that more of the big names that have been calling into Greenock on the UK cruises decide to offer more cruises where we can embark and disembark at the port like MSC have done this summer.

Much as I love my Marella cruises I am becoming more disillusioned with some of the decisions being made by TUI regarding cruises, flights and package holidays from Scottish airports even before the pandemic. Sometimes I wonder if the decision makers even know where Scotland is. So much for them saying we fly from your doorstep. Manchester, Birmingham and Gatwick are not on my doorstep. 

The effects of the pandemic will be with us for a long time and many people are still wary of foreign travel.  Would it be too much to ask Marella to have one ship based in the UK next year with options to embark from at least one Scottish port ?  I'm sure many would jump at the chance to book and some cruise lines may also be looking at this. Marella are always too slow to act and could be missing a good opportunity.

Hello nancyneptune

Didn't realise so many ships went from Greenock.  I usually look at Fred Olsen from Rosyth but haven't tried them yet.  Aberdeen, after last weeks tv programme, definitely whetted my appetite. Here's hoping.  Must admit that we stick to Marella even if it does have good and bad points.  My biggest grumble is with all inclusive drinks package as I drink nothing other than soft drinks and water and have to pay extra for a can as don't like draught and having seen what gets decanted from coke bottle to coke bottle - no thank you!

I also grumble about the "on your doorstep" which means leaving home the day before plus overnight stay and depending what time of day, and sometimes year re weather conditions, another overnight stay.

As you say, they are missing an opportunity as there is a lot to see on both east and west coasts of Scotland plus the gateway to Norway/Iceland/Faroe Islands is available as well.

We are definitely not even thinking about cruising until all is clear for travelling without having to jump through hoops for tests, proof of vaccination, and insurance.  Insurance should be purchased and declared at time of booking (which we have had to do with other companies in the past).  We were with friends in 2019 when one took ill in Croatia and had to be hospitalised.  It was not a pleasant experience for them due to language barriers, poor hospital conditions, lack of support, to give some of the problems.  Fortunately they had good insurance and they took over everything including repatriation back to Scotland.  The ship, who did not have to help after they were disembarked, kept in touch and gave advice and reassurance when necessary.

5 hours ago, skioncruises said:

Hello nancyneptune

Didn't realise so many ships went from Greenock.  I usually look at Fred Olsen from Rosyth but haven't tried them yet.  Aberdeen, after last weeks tv programme, definitely whetted my appetite. Here's hoping.  Must admit that we stick to Marella even if it does have good and bad points.  My biggest grumble is with all inclusive drinks package as I drink nothing other than soft drinks and water and have to pay extra for a can as don't like draught and having seen what gets decanted from coke bottle to coke bottle - no thank you!

I also grumble about the "on your doorstep" which means leaving home the day before plus overnight stay and depending what time of day, and sometimes year re weather conditions, another overnight stay.

As you say, they are missing an opportunity as there is a lot to see on both east and west coasts of Scotland plus the gateway to Norway/Iceland/Faroe Islands is available as well.

We are definitely not even thinking about cruising until all is clear for travelling without having to jump through hoops for tests, proof of vaccination, and insurance.  Insurance should be purchased and declared at time of booking (which we have had to do with other companies in the past).  We were with friends in 2019 when one took ill in Croatia and had to be hospitalised.  It was not a pleasant experience for them due to language barriers, poor hospital conditions, lack of support, to give some of the problems.  Fortunately they had good insurance and they took over everything including repatriation back to Scotland.  The ship, who did not have to help after they were disembarked, kept in touch and gave advice and reassurance when necessary.

Hi skioncruises,

I feel exactly like you with regards to the drinks packages. Much preferred it when we had the choice to purchase the AI drinks or not. Feel we are subsidising the big drinkers as the prices of the cruises went up quite a bit when they introduced the AI and lets face it there are more things to pay extra for now since they went AI. Also feel the quality and quantity of the food in the MDR has suffered. Used to be five courses all served quickly and efficiently with the waiters having time to chat. Three courses now can take up to two hours at times and poor waiters run off their feet since Marella have done away with the wine waiters.

So sorry to hear about your friends illness. That must have been a big worry. We always take out insurance as soon as we book our holiday for peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

😁. I know, but it’s fun to wind up our mates north of the border 😂👍🏼

It's ok Manchester is blue we can take it 😃 because we know we have a beautiful country with friendly, welcoming  people  🤣🤣🤣

47 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

It's ok Manchester is blue we can take it 😃 because we know we have a beautiful country with friendly, welcoming  people  🤣🤣🤣

Ha ha,.. I absolutely agree nanctneptune.   My old mum and that side of my family are Glaswegian…. I’ve grown up teasing them, but I love Scotland and Bonnie Scotland !

On 8/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, Manchester is blue said:

Ha ha,.. I absolutely agree nanctneptune.   My old mum and that side of my family are Glaswegian…. I’ve grown up teasing them, but I love Scotland and Bonnie Scotland !

Great genes then Manchester is Blue 😀

• Like 1