PCR or Antigen test required

Wuzzle10

Just received an email from Seabourn this morning to say we now need a PCR test 3 days before boarding our ship even for fully vaccinated people! Does this mean now they won’t do tests to get on board ? Or will we have to do that as well? 

This is a very difficult requirement for passengers departing August 15, especially those arriving early to spend a few nights in Athens as the test will have to be done in Greece because of the 72-hour rule.  Why two tests are necessary is a mystery to me -- a test within 72 hours of cruise departure and another at the pier (administered and paid for by Seabourn).  Very confusing development.  The other problem, of course, is even you could meet the 72-hour requirement before departing from the U.S it is impossible to find a clinic that has appointment availability in the Washington D.C. area.  And I would assume this is true in most other areas as well.

• Thanks 1

Is it 72 hours or 3 days???? With the time difference, it's impossible for us to do the test here, since we are flying in only one day early.  When we went to US Virgin Islands in May, their requirement was 3 days and they gave you a chart with the days on it....anytime within the day.  The letter states three days.  

You can get the test at the Athens Airport. You can even make an appointment.  Supposedly, the results come back the next day by email.

https://payments.iatriko.gr/?gclid=CjwKCAjwx8iIBhBwEiwA2quaq2iUwzwodjM8SsJtwdPL5gTQje0NwHFd2KOsFmX_WC0YRRy7ON7OwBoCe0QQAvD_BwE

https://en.aegeanair.com/diagnostic-test-purchase/

Edited by marazul

I thought it said three days.   Hope so because we plan to get it at Athens airport around noon Wed and we do not board until 4 Saturday so be over by a few hours.  Be very upset if they denied boarding for few hours especially since this was a last minute requirement.   And I agree - why one three days ahead of time and then at pier.   

In the interest of headline accuracy I started a new thread.  A PCR or Antigen test is now required. They are very different tests.   Here is the Seabourn info:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
We look forward to welcoming you on board for your Seabourn Ovation cruise. In
an abundance of caution and in response to the increasing number of cases of
COVID-19 caused by the Delta variant, we are updating our protocols and
requirements. Effective with cruises departing on Saturday, August 14 through
October 31, 2021, all guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR
or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation at cruise check-in for
Seabourn Ovation.
All guests will need to show the proof of their negative COVID-19 test along
with their original proof of full vaccination (completed at least 14 days prior
to embarkation) upon arrival in the cruise terminal. Guests who do not provide
proof of COVID-19 vaccination and a negative test result will be denied
boarding, so it is essential that you complete these necessary items.
Please view our letter with full details at https://*****/3fNJrF7.

This is a very difficult requirement for passengers departing August 15, especially those arriving early to spend a few nights in Athens as the test will have to be done in Greece because of the 72-hour rule.  Why two tests are necessary is a mystery to me -- a test within 72 hours of cruise departure and another at the pier (administered and paid for by Seabourn).  Very confusing development.  The other problem, of course, is even you could meet the 72-hour requirement before departing from the U.S it is impossible to find a clinic that has appointment availability in the Washington D.C. area.  And I would assume this is true in most other areas as well.

Very confusing.  A person could fly into ATH the day of their cruise, get a rapid test at the airport, take a taxi to the ship, and perhaps get tested again?  Strange.  We heard a rumor today that 3 Americans tested positive at embarkation last Saturday.  I wonder if this has caused the policy change.  We are on the Ovation now and the cruise has been near perfect except for the heat wave.

Hank

• Like 1

One can self-test with the rapid antigen test. A pack of 7 or more tests, or an individual test kit can be purchased online in the UK and are relatively inexpensive. I expect the same goes for the States. Buy some kits and self-test before your flight or in your hotel, when you arrive, or both.

Edited by Flamin_June

Yes. Our letter states the test needs to be done within 3 days rather than 72 hours. We plan on testing at 7 am on a Wednesday locally and then catching our 11 a m flight at Phoenix airport to Chicago. We should have results before we board our international flight.  I also don’t understand the purpose. It makes more sense to ahave us test 3 days prior to boarding our flights

We are sailing out of Barcelona in October on the Ovation.  I just talked to a Seabourn rep, and she said the test has to be done within 72 hours (Barcelona time) - so I would assume it is the same with Athens - within 72 hours Athens time.  

• Like 1

Just received a revised notice (dated 10th August) making the new additional testing requirement more strict than what was stated in the original notice (dated 9th August):  only PCR test is acceptable, antigen test is no longer acceptable.

When you click through to the link, the added phrase about supporting the safety protocols developed by the Greek Health Authorities contributes to yet more confusion, since this new requirement supposedly applies to all sailings between August 21th and October 31st and not just the Greek voyages.

14 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

One can self-test with the rapid antigen test. A pack of 7 or more tests, or an individual test kit can be purchased online in the UK and are relatively inexpensive. I expect the same goes for the States. Buy some kits and self-test before your flight or in your hotel, when you arrive, or both.

Indeed. SB doesn't clarify who will have to perform the antigen test and the proof can be presentation of a antigen cartridge with negative result (one line). This self test costs 2-4 euros and is available in all pharmacies.

edit: post not valid as per last post of sfvoyage

Edited by mcondition
  • Thanks 1

This is so frustrating - they keep changing the goal post.  Yesterday, I had it all figured out - how to meet travel requirements, get the test, etc. etc.  Now, I need to figure in the 1-2 days needed for PCR instead of the 1-2 hours for the rapid antigen test.  GRRRRR.  

• Thanks 1

Well,  I have spent the morning researching options for a rapid PCR test near Phoenix Arizona for those of us in my neck of the woods.    I currently have an appt scheduled through worksitelabs.   They test near PHX at the Blue Sky airport parking.  They charge $90 for a rapid PCR test with results available within 24 hours. (They are a trusted partner for Hawaii and do lots of testing)  (You can also test through Xprescheck in the airport.  They charge $250 for a rapid PCR test with results in 60 minutes).  We are currently scheduled at both locations,  just in case our airline or Seabourne changes the requirements yet again, and will cancel one prior to the appt date.).    

Good luck one and all

• Thanks 1

there is no "Rapid-PCR"  its either PCR molecular test or rapid antigen test. The sample for the PCR goes to the biologist and between 12-24 hours needed for results. So if seabourn requires PCR, you have to be tested the day prior to embarkation.

29 minutes ago, mcondition said:

there is no "Rapid-PCR"  its either PCR molecular test or rapid antigen test. The sample for the PCR goes to the biologist and between 12-24 hours needed for results. So if seabourn requires PCR, you have to be tested the day prior to embarkation.

The Seabourn Greece Travel Requirement say that travelers passengers boarding from Aug 21 must get an "NAAT Test". They list 9 such test that they accept; among them is the RT-PCR (reverse transcription real time PCR), which I incorrectly referred to as "Rapid-PCR". I called it "rapid" because the results are given in an hour in our case. Thanks