Solo cruisers!

Cruise Related

Alright, so I’ve been on about 15 cruises, always with someone. Just recently off the Horizon in July, have Mardi Gras booked in September. Yet I want more!! The wife only has so much PTO, so obviously she can only do so much cruising. I on the other hand am self employed and can pretty much do my bidness from anywhere. If you fine folks don’t mind answering a few questions about solo cruising I’d totally appreciate it! 

1. What draws you to it? 
2. What are the benefits for you personally?

3. Do you ever feel lonely and wish you had someone ya knew with you?

4. Do you still do excursions or mainly stick to the ship? 
5. Is there a solo cruiser club or something so you can meet up on ship and have a drink or whatever? 

I know! Lots of questions. Would definitely appreciate some feedback if possible. Thank you! 

I've brought a lot of friends, none were hooked on cruising, or one said she liked it but wanted to do alaska with her husband. Show him.

I find I do the same excursions over with friends. By myself I choose one I really want without having to worry if my friend wants to spend the money., like going to ruins. Usually over $100 and takes all day.

In the past I usually found some guys mostly who were farmers or had early jobs who were up early to have coffee with and talk and same other mornings. Same crowd. 

I think carnival has a solo bar drinking event I never went to. 

It's a chance to sit up front at the theater or do that dance class. Things someone else might not want to do. I prefer JiJis to steakhouse, so will eat my fill at JiJis I hope. Steakhouse maybe once. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Awesome! Thanks for the tip and tricks and experiences Firefly! Truly hope you have some amazing JiJi’s. Fantastic food every time I’ve had it. 

Rcl likes solos even more. They have some ships with solo cabins, some so secret booking agents dont know they exist lol. No solo supplement on solo cabins, but if I book a regular cabin, as a solo I get 2 pts per day since the cabin is double occupancy. Also at 340 pts solos get 50% off the 2nd pax supplement, or 150% of cruisefare. That's why I'm pushing to get there by dec 2022, just for future cruisefares. All are discounted. 

I like both lines equally but leaning to rcl because of solo cost. I think there are more rcl solo cruisers than on carnival. Its known for families and how many can be stuffed into one cabin. It's a niche market lol. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl likes solos even more. They have some ships with solo cabins, some so secret booking agents dont know they exist lol. No solo supplement on solo cabins, but if I book a regular cabin, as a solo I get 2 pts per day since the cabin is double occupancy. Also at 340 pts solos get 50% off the 2nd pax supplement, or 150% of cruisefare. That's why I'm pushing to get there by dec 2022, just for future cruisefares. All are discounted. 

I like both lines equally but leaning to rcl because of solo cost. I think there are more rcl solo cruisers than on carnival. Its known for families and how many can be stuffed into one cabin. It's a niche market lol. 

Ah ok. Maybe I should hit up the RCL boards then. Good advice! Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

1. What draws you to it? 

5. Is there a solo cruiser club or something so you can meet up on ship and have a drink or whatever? 

Many solo cruises under my belt.  I’ve cruised mainly with NCL (which sort of is the gold standard when it comes to solo cruises with dedicated solo cabins, a solo lounge, a solo coordinator, etc) but cruising solo can be fun on any cruise line.  The draw for myself personally is I love cruising and although my husband does as well, he also loves his work…many of my friends also don’t have the time or the funds necessary so rather than stay home, I cruise solo and love it!  I can do what I want, when I want.  Want to sleep in all day or get up in the middle of the night but don’t want disturb those you are with?  Not a problem when you are alone in a cabin.  No sharing the bathroom…do all those cruise things you love but your companions hate, you get the idea, it’s wonderful.  I have, on occasion felt a little lonely and sometimes feel odd drinking at a bar by myself for example, but I find people on cruise ships are generally friendly, but it helps i don’t mind my own company.  As far as excursions, it depends.  I have done both ship sponsored and independent excursions. I also often will just stay in the ship and enjoy the less crowded atmosphere.  Also, by joining a roll call you might have a chance to meet others on your sailing ahead of time.  If you are just looking for more info, there is a solo cruise board here on CC and frankly, my advice is just try it, I bet you will love it as much as many of us do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Many solo cruises under my belt.  I’ve cruised mainly with NCL (which sort of is the gold standard when it comes to solo cruises with dedicated solo cabins, a solo lounge, a solo coordinator, etc) but cruising solo can be fun on any cruise line.  The draw for myself personally is I love cruising and although my husband does as well, he also loves his work…many of my friends also don’t have the time or the funds necessary so rather than stay home, I cruise solo and love it!  I can do what I want, when I want.  Want to sleep in all day or get up in the middle of the night but don’t want disturb those you are with?  Not a problem when you are alone in a cabin.  No sharing the bathroom…do all those cruise things you love but your companions hate, you get the idea, it’s wonderful.  I have, on occasion felt a little lonely and sometimes feel odd drinking at a bar by myself for example, but I find people on cruise ships are generally friendly, but it helps i don’t mind my own company.  As far as excursions, it depends.  I have done both ship sponsored and independent excursions. I also often will just stay in the ship and enjoy the less crowded atmosphere.  Also, by joining a roll call you might have a chance to meet others on your sailing ahead of time.  If you are just looking for more info, there is a solo cruise board here on CC and frankly, my advice is just try it, I bet you will love it as much as many of us do.

Once you proclaim ncl is the gold standard, turned me off to anything else. That's putting down every other line and I have done a lot including ncl., no better or worse.

Little inside 100 sf cabins makes it the gold standard, ok ... if you believe it. Rcl older ships like jewel and adventure have a few small solo cabins like that. Most dont even know about them. But now rcl does solo virtual balconys and now ships like quantum have solo balconys. Bigger and with a view thise tiny ncl cabins. I've seen plenty who post on rcl with the 340 pts for solo perk. Nice they can even book suites or any cabin they want at a discount.,

Carnival even lately has some awesome solo deals to attract the vaccinated.  8 days on dream was $474 last I looked plus taxes sept 25. 1a for 289 for 5 days. Carnival all the sudden i have lots of solos on my roll calls at those solo rates. 

32 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Whoa! Thanks! I’ve been wanting to try NCL for a while now, admittedly for the all you can eat wings at their Irish pub,(odd reason I know, but I love wings) so this is a great endorsement! I’ll definitely check out the solo forum. Wasn’t aware there was one! Appreciate the info! Thank you. 

• Like 1

I also enjoy solo cruising and have been solo on Carnival, NCL and RCL.  My husband has tried cruising, but really doesn’t enjoy it at all, so solo cruising works for me.  Oftentimes I have friends cruising at the same time, but I have my own cabin and so do most of them.  It’s so luxurious to have the cabin to myself and be on my own schedule.  In my opinion, NCL has the best program for solos, including daily pre-dinner meetings followed by dinner together for those who wish.  I have sailed in the 100 sq ft solo cabins they have, and they’re very basic and I prefer to be in a regular cabin.  However, only people in the solo (studio) cabins have access to the solo lounge, except for the pre-dinner get-together.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Once you proclaim ncl is the gold standard, turned me off to anything else. That's putting down every other line and I have done a lot including ncl., no better or worse.

Little inside 100 sf cabins makes it the gold standard, ok ... if you believe it. Rcl older ships like jewel and adventure have a few small solo cabins like that. Most dont even know about them. But now rcl does solo virtual balconys and now ships like quantum have solo balconys. Bigger and with a view thise tiny ncl cabins. I've seen plenty who post on rcl with the 340 pts for solo perk. Nice they can even book suites or any cabin they want at a discount.,

Carnival even lately has some awesome solo deals to attract the vaccinated.  8 days on dream was $474 last I looked plus taxes sept 25. 1a for 289 for 5 days. Carnival all the sudden i have lots of solos on my roll calls at those solo rates. 

Ummm, did you not see where I said “solo cruising on ANY cruise line is fun”?  I have cruised on Carnival solo (have one scheduled for next week as a matter of fact) and I have a RCL solo trip planned next year… if the OP was looking for options I was just giving my opinion…sorry you were “turned off” and perhaps didn’t bother to read my whole response.  Hopefully the OP is more open minded than you.

• Like 7

The thing that makes NCL the "gold standard" for many solo travelers is the dedicated solo coordinator who does the daily meetup.  Other lines are finally starting to have similar programs, but NCL does it best, in my experience.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, trivimp said:

The thing that makes NCL the "gold standard" for many solo travelers is the dedicated solo coordinator who does the daily meetup.  Other lines are finally starting to have similar programs, but NCL does it best, in my experience.  YMMV.

Definitely considering NCL. As a first time soloer it sounds like my best bet. I just hope folks are as friendly on NCL as they are on Carnival, I’m all about making connections when I cruise. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Definitely considering NCL. As a first time soloer it sounds like my best bet. I just hope folks are as friendly on NCL as they are on Carnival, I’m all about making connections when I cruise. 

Again, look into all your options.  I think (unlike what it might seem at times here on cruise critic) people on cruise ships (and on every cruise line) are generally a friendly bunch.  Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Again, look into all your options.  I think (unlike what it might seem at times here on cruise critic) people on cruise ships (and on every cruise line) are generally a friendly bunch.  Have a great time!

Most definitely will look at my options, but there’s nothing like getting first hand accounts of others experiences. Honestly it’s a little nerve racking to consider lol. Will I be bored? Will I get into trouble? Will I make friends? Will I have a good time? I totally appreciate your help! I’m a bit of a “chef” myself, except they call me a Pitmaster. 

To be honest, I was a bit nervous my first time as well.  I did check out the roll call for my sailing and met a few folks at the bar that first day and we hung out most of the cruise.  On subsequent cruises I have met a core group of folks and we have cruised together ( as solos) on a number of cruises and they are fantastic.  I have also gone completely alone, only talking to bartenders and waiters, housekeeping, etc my entire cruise…I am never bored or lonely.  Your mileage may vary, as they say 😎.  You won’t know till you try.  And if food is your thing, well, there is always plenty of that on a cruise.  Read through this board, there is a lot of info and a lot of opinions.   Cheers 🥂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cruise Related said:

Alright, so I’ve been on about 15 cruises, always with someone. Just recently off the Horizon in July, have Mardi Gras booked in September. Yet I want more!! The wife only has so much PTO, so obviously she can only do so much cruising. I on the other hand am self employed and can pretty much do my bidness from anywhere. If you fine folks don’t mind answering a few questions about solo cruising I’d totally appreciate it! 

1. What draws you to it?  The fact that I can do what I want to do when I want to do it and not have to coordinate with anyone or have to do something I really don't care to do.
2. What are the benefits for you personally?  Same as above

3. Do you ever feel lonely and wish you had someone ya knew with you?  NO!  I am the Queen of Social Distancing.  I load up my Kindle, sit on the Muster Deck, watch the islands and creatures go by, eat alone (you wouldn't believe how many people try to "rescue" me from dining alone [I decline their invitation, thank them politely, and then enjoy my meal]).

4. Do you still do excursions or mainly stick to the ship?  Ship sponsored excursions when I'm traveling alone, but explore independently when I cruise with my husband.
5. Is there a solo cruiser club or something so you can meet up on ship and have a drink or whatever?  Never bothered to find out.  I don't need other people around.

Hope this helps!

On 8/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cruise Related said:

I know! Lots of questions. Would definitely appreciate some feedback if possible. Thank you! 

Edited by NuisanceLuke
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have been cruising solo since 2003 and it is the only way I sail. I love it😃

To answer some of your questions

Quote:

1. What draws you to it? 

I love unpacking once and seeing places I would not normally fly to on my own for 10 days.........unpack and they take of everything else......food is fabulous,  meet nice people (usually), seeing new places and going back to places I love.

The benefits for me? see my above answer.

Do I ever feel lonely?........nope, not really. I have lived on my own for the majority of my life and when I found cruising? I loved it from the start.

Yes, I do excursions and I also stay on board. That truly depends on the port we are visiting.  When in Europe, I always do a tour. I cannot imagine flying across the pond and not visiting such historical places.

A solo cruisers club? Some lines offer solo get togethers. I am quite outgoing and it doesn't matter to me whether I meet other solo guests or not.   I prefer meeting friendly people and I don't really concern myself what their marital status happens to be.  

I know from reading many of these solo threads many solo cruisers do like NCL and what they offer. 

Other folks prefer other lines. 

For about 16  years I sailed with Celebrity with a bit of HAL and Royal thrown in.......I have also done 2 River Cruises (love them as well.)

For the past 4.5 years I have been sailing with Silversea.

I went to Greece last month and it was wonderful......we only had 225 guests on board.  And next week I am sailing to Alaska😃

So there are lines out for all of us and we all have our own preferences and choices to make.

Hope you find the one that is best for you.🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been on 11 cruises, different lines, always with DH who passed several years ago and then with girlfriends. I am going on NCL in January and staying in a solo cabin, first time cruising solo. Although I am a little nervous about it, I am also looking forward to the freedom solo cruising will offer me. I have been to the Caribbean several times so only plan one shore excursion — a Mayan ruin and spice farm. I love the spa on the ships so will buy a week’s pass and spend a good part of my time in the fitness center and thermal spa. What draws me to cruising is that it allows me to unpack once, enjoy all of the entertainment and food onboard all the while traveling to different places. Some of my cruises have been port intensive and I have gone on excursions then — Hawaii, Japan, Australia, etc. Other cruises have had lots of sea days (transatlantic) so I have enjoyed the ship’s offerings. There always seems to be something to entertain you.

• Like 4

I am just starting out solo cruising. I did my first solo cruise July17-24th on Adventure of the Seas RT out of Nassau, Bahamas. Had a great time! I made friends with a nice couple who "adopted" me for dinner every night. Never had dinner alone (not that there is anything wrong with that; see above).

As far as cruise lines, I have done a lot of "homework" wrt solo cruising on the different lines. I'll withhold my final judgement until I have actually cruised solo on them but from the cost and "solo-friendliness" aspect, I would rate RCI & Celebrity #1 with NCL not far behind. RCI is #1 in my book for solos because, they continually run that 60% off the 2nd guest promo, which essentially lowers my solo supplement down to 40% and allows me to book any RCI ship and any stateroom. In addition, as a previous poster pointed out, RCI also has those studio balcony staterooms on their Quantum-class ships (12 on each). Another option with RCI. Similarly, Celebrity has those Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) staterooms on their Edge-class ships. Edge has 16 SIVs, Apex has 24 and the new Beyond will have 32 SIVs. This tells me Celebrity (owned by RCG) is increasing their marketing to solo cruisers.

Anyway, I'm retired so cruising is my RAOC (Retirement Activity of Choice). I have cruises booked on RCI, Celebrity, CCL & NCL into 2023. I am sampling (from the solo cruiser perspective) all the mainstream cruise lines (although Celebrity is a bit more "upscale").

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to try NCL, but the cost of a studio seems prohibitive, in many cases it seems to cost more than a regular cabin. In the one cruise i’ve been on i found it enough to eat at a table of 6 every night, that was enough socializing for me. I enjoyed the time myself otherwise. I’m not really sure i see the advantage of only eating with other solos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, christinand said:

I would like to try NCL, but the cost of a studio seems prohibitive, in many cases it seems to cost more than a regular cabin. In the one cruise i’ve been on i found it enough to eat at a table of 6 every night, that was enough socializing for me. I enjoyed the time myself otherwise. I’m not really sure i see the advantage of only eating with other solos.

I guess that can happen, where the cruise fare for an inside is less than a studio but I don't think it happens very often. Remember, in an inside stateroom, you're paying a 100% solo supplement (usually), so us solos get to pay double (yay!).

But you're right, you do have to compare fares for the different staterooms, in case NCL has priced a regular inside lower than the studio for a particular cruise.

I’d have to do a balcony, so I guess I’m screwed on cost. Not a big deal, it is what it is. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and insight! I’ve learned quite a lot. Now to put what I’ve learned to practice! Still a little nervous, but Halloween cruise here I come! Maybe…..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, christinand said:

Although most solos hate the dreaded “solo supplement” I always caution cruisers to look at all the categories, because you are right, sometimes an inside or even higher category is less expensive than a solo cabin on NCL (it’s just supply and demand).  FYI, You have access to the “evening meet up” as a solo regardless of what cabin category you are in.  Also, the solo coordinator does more than just make dinner reservations for those wanting to eat together..they facilitate ongoing activities, and they make show reservations for folks like a concierge might. (Solos generally have their own reserved section of the theater for shows, which can be a nice perk). 

Again, I’m not loyal to any one cruise line…they are have pluses and minuses…frankly, I want to cruise on them all!

• Like 3

Solo cruiser since 2014 and every time I look to cruise with NCL, the solo cabins cost more than booking a regular inside.  Want to try one of the single balconies on RCL.  Never sailed celebrity yet.   I love sailing solo.  I can do want I want when I want.  Cruising is fun whether you have someone with you or not.  Happy sailing!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1