The Daily for Thursday August 12, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, CruiseMGM said:

Great to see the glide in to Ketchikan, we should be there in 2 weeks (as long as the covid test gets done, ours was canceled yesterday and we had to scramble to rebook something).

Are you on the August 21st or 28th sailing?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Suddenly, there is smoke, the wind has changed and the air is turning a sort of greyish yellow.  We have been lucky all summer, but I guess it had to change sometime.  

And a neighbour just came by to let us know that mutual friends just lost their son and daughter-in-law in an awful traffic accident in the interior of BC.  

Not a good day.

I’m sorry to hear about your friends family. 

the smoke isn’t fun. We had it for nearly three weeks  but it has finally improved.    Hope these fires get under control 

• Like 11

Wow! What a beautiful day in Ketchikan. Low 70’s. Walked around then enjoyed more Red Crab legs for lunch. Now enjoying our balcony and watching the water traffic and float planes.

The salmon we’re running so that was a special event to witness.

Quite a few of little things are temporarily suspended of which none have impacted our cruise. It’s great to be back with the wonderful crew.

image.thumb.jpeg.48cdb6c64c0a48351fed6667f4c1e693.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4faa62eadd2d9c408e0c284888fe7adc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a1707f9a6b9b39a0d7a0c6ff31ce17e8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.44730a55ac6ae9d915b330fe317a354d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7445f9c9e31c9a72f83ada1b1885ae63.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.jpeg.a9f2eeb8f614fa1a57fda8459b911484.jpeg

@richwmn Dear Rich,

Have a wonderful birthday 🥳!!

Thank you for giving us such a wonderful 

place to share our thoughts our passion for cruising and made this a wonderful outlet to express ourselves!!

”HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 

@dfishDebbie, glad you are able to go!

Stay safe and enjoy your family.

@kazuJacqui, love your garden planter walk ways! The Lilies are beautiful!! A lot of love, dedication, and hard work and it is stunning!

🌺Mahalo (THANK YOU) for being in my extended family ❤️

Well we just finished putting our EBIKES 

together and riding into Lahaina.

Have a good day all! Kimo’s for us later.

🌺Aloha

Denise😊

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Suddenly, there is smoke, the wind has changed and the air is turning a sort of greyish yellow.  We have been lucky all summer, but I guess it had to change sometime.  

And a neighbour just came by to let us know that mutual friends just lost their son and daughter-in-law in an awful traffic accident in the interior of BC.  

Not a good day.

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Ann.

Prayers for all friends and family of the couple who tragically died in a traffic accident.

• Like 7

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and sorry about your internet. Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. @smitty34877 Such great news about Tana being released from the hospital. 

I’m late today. I slept in and then binged watched a guilty pleasure until 10:00. Thanks to @aliaschief I have been checking my email every few hours for an upsell. Low and behold I got one at 10:08, called right away and we are now in a Signature Suite, although the rep could have been friendlier.  She wanted everything done fast so it was good I had everything ready. I just wish it was a Neptune but it still is a good upgrade. I had forgotten that the Nieuw Amsterdam doesn’t have Vista Suites. 

Then I decided to tackle Costco. DM and I went last week between doctor appointments but the line was extremely long and we couldn’t wait. She had found vests that will be great for the winter and I decided to get one for Alaska. Of course that $12.99 purchased turned into a $199 purchase. 😉 Just can’t beat the 3 pack of Kim Crawford. 

I started reading the Daily on my PC but my like button didn’t work so switched to my phone. Sorry to everyone on pages 1 & 2. 

I think elephants are majestic. I don’t think we will be able to see the meteor due to rain and clouds. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Upsell not upswell! 🤣
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to  everyone. I  am  late  today as  we  are  scrambling  around to  welcome  our  Tana  to  DD's  side  of  the  house today. The  oxygen  making  machine  has  just  been  delivered  and I  was  making  a  bed  with  the  aid  of  DD's  4  cats. We  are  a  little  concerned about the  ability  to  climb  stairs  now so  we  have  arranged an  ambulance  for  discharge.  I  think  we  are  a  combination  of   very  happy  and  a  little  nervous. Tana's  son  and  their  doggie  will  stay  with  me  but  we  will  all  be  able  to  eat  together. There  were  times  when  we  all  wondered  if  this  day  would  ever  come but  the  good  wishes  and  prayers  of  many  folks  have prevailed. Thank you  all!

We  have  been  to  Stavenger  and  took  the  fjord cruise  as  well. I  am  sure  my  pictures  do  not  do  it  justice! Thanks  to  @StLouisCruisers  and  everyone  else  who  posted  such lovely  pictures.

@kazu, the  tremendous  work  you  put  into  your  garden  is  showing  now. Wow. It  is  just  beautiful.

@dfish, I  am  just  so  glad  that  you  will  be  able  to  see  your  family  in  Michigan. Enjoy!

@ger_77, the  picture  of  your  youngest  grandson  sleeping  brought  a  tear  to  my  eyes! It  sounds  like  a  good  time  was  had  by  all.

IMG_0783.JPG

This is wonderful news Smitty that Tana is coming home.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am so p*ssed at HAL right now I have no words.  Well, I do have words but they are all 4 letter. 😡 

Our request to transfer our cruise from the Eurodam to the (now) Oosterdam next year has been going on since JULY 2ND.

My TA was told NO today and demanded it be escalated higher.

She is now pulling in her liaison at her agency (they are a top agency with HAL) to see what he can do.  I’m already booked but I’d like my OBC that I had certainly a better rate on the cruise.

my sisters who I haven’t seen in 2 years were going to cruise with us.  We all coughed up the $750 US for the $250 OBC.  HAL has had the money for over a year.  And if they don’t transfer us, we get our money back and lose the OBC.  The prices they would pay now would be substantially higher and the perks are not the same at all.

We were on a Fall transatlantic and our replacement cruise was a spring??? HUH???  

I’m sorry but I had to vent.  I am beyond livid.  A simple request form one TA to another after we went through numerous ship and itinerary changes and were flexible and HAL is not?

I’m betting I will never get that OBC that Gerald gave me from the Mariners Society for the screw up on our Prinsendam cruise with Sel de Mer.

Sorry for the vent.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am so p*ssed at HAL right now I have no words.  Well, I do have words but they are all 4 letter. 😡 

Our request to transfer our cruise from the Eurodam to the (now) Oosterdam next year has been going on since JULY 2ND.

She is now pulling in her liaison at her agency (they are a top agency with HAL) to see what he can do.  I’m already booked but I’d like my OBC that I had certainly a better rate on the cruise.

my sisters who I haven’t seen in 2 years were going to cruise with us.  We all coughed up the $750 US for the $250 OBC.  HAL has had the money for over a year.  And if they don’t transfer us, we get our money back and lose the OBC.  The prices they would pay now would be substantially higher and the perks are not the same at all.

We were on a Fall transatlantic and our replacement cruise was a spring??? HUH???  

I’m sorry but I had to vent.  I am beyond livid.  A simple request form one TA to another after we went through numerous ship and itinerary changes and were flexible and HAL is not?

I’m betting I will never get that OBC that Gerald gave me from the Mariners Society for the screw up on our Prinsendam cruise with Sel de Mer.

Sorry for the vent.

I can’t like this post.  I’d be furious too!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry for the vent.

Hopefully your TA will sort this out for you.

Sometimes it helps to vent your frustration especially when everyone here is 100% behind you and want the best for you.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I did the same thing and seem to have lost the OBC. I have a TA working on it but I'm not optimistic

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry for the vent.

Jacqui: I "liked" your post simply to show support. What they are doing is BS.

Jim

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I can’t like this post.  I’d be furious too!

I'm gonna like Jacqui's post because I want her to know I agree with her completely.  

We don't have enough choices of reactions to click on!!

@kazuI sure hope this works out for you and your sisters.🙏

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@kazu I totally understand why you are upset.   HAL did not give much choice in transferring funds from a cancelled cruise to a replacement.   I wanted to book one in June 2022, but because our cancelled cruise was in September, we had to stick to September.  

@smitty34877 How wonderful that Tana is coming home.   

@Vict0riann I am so sorry for your friends' loss.  

@StLouisCruisers How is your son's power situation now?   My sister was told not until Sunday morning, but they have power now, so I cancelled my hotel.  If I had known it would be cleared up so quickly, I would have left today after all.   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I was just offered an upgrade (at a cost) to a Signature or Neptune Suite for my August 21 cruise to Alaska.  I considered for just a half second, and then I decided that I am content with the cabin that I now have.  It is just me, and as one person, I really don't need the extras.  I have never had a verandah before, so this is special for me.  Correct me, if I am wrong, someone?!?!

No I can understand why you didn’t want to upgrade especially if you like the location you are at right now and you are solo.  You will love your verandah! I wasn’t too trilled about the location we were in (even though we have had this same location before). I really wanted an Aft facing cabin and I’ve been checking the options available on the website like a madwoman for weeks so I jumped at the upsell offer.  Silly me, I had forgotten that the Nieuw Amsterdam doesn’t have Vista suites. Now we are midship and have a bigger cabin and balcony so I’m happy.  Our next two cruises are in Aft facing Vistas. 

• Like 16

45 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I did the same thing and seem to have lost the OBC. I have a TA working on it but I'm not optimistic

We need a crying emoji on CC for this.

So sorry to hear this 😔

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm gonna like Jacqui's post because I want her to know I agree with her completely.  

We don't have enough choices of reactions to click on!!

@kazuI sure hope this works out for you and your sisters.🙏

Thanks.  Sorry to have vented but I am a principled person.  I was flexible with HAL   Fair is fair IMO.

It’s a TA to a TA -what is the big deal?

Appreciate not being dumped on for venting 😉 ❤️ 

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

We need a crying emoji on CC for this.

So sorry to hear this 😔

Actually, we need a “I’m pissed as hell”! Emoji.  

I will think good thoughts Jacqui & Rich. May the OBC gods smile on you. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and sorry about your internet. Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. @smitty34877 Such great news about Tana being released from the hospital. 

I’m late today. I slept in and then binged watched a guilty pleasure until 10:00. Thanks to @aliaschief I have been checking my email every few hours for an upsell. Low and behold I got one at 10:08, called right away and we are now in a Signature Suite, although the rep could have been friendlier.  She wanted everything done fast so it was good I had everything ready. I just wish it was a Neptune but it still is a good upgrade. I had forgotten that the Nieuw Amsterdam doesn’t have Vista Suites. 

Then I decided to tackle Costco. DM and I went last week between doctor appointments but the line was extremely long and we couldn’t wait. She had found vests that will be great for the winter and I decided to get one for Alaska. Of course that $12.99 purchased turned into a $199 purchase. 😉 Just can’t beat the 3 pack of Kim Crawford. 

I started reading the Daily on my PC but my like button didn’t work so switched to my phone. Sorry to everyone on pages 1 & 2. 

I think elephants are majestic. I don’t think we will be able to see the meteor due to rain and clouds. 

Have a great day everyone!

Congratulations on upsell!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Actually, we need a “I’m pissed as hell”! Emoji.  

I will think good thoughts Jacqui & Rich. May the OBC gods smile on you. 

LOL I so agree 😉

• Like 11

Today is one of two hot days we are having this month; mid-90s.  So we just walk for 30 minutes between 6 and 7 AM and stay in the house the rest of the day.  Luckily, we have a heat pump and the refrigerator produces crushed ice.

I admire @lindalergetting out of the landlord business.  I have a similar situation, but it won't be that easy.  We have a log house on 4 acres that has been in the family for about 90 years.  I purchased it from my cousin about 30 years ago and have recently been renting it to Navy families.  I have been mostly successful mainly because military families seem to be more responsible than the average family and they always get paid every month.  However, my present tenant, a submariner, is being transferred to CT this month and I have decided to put it up for sale.  The big question is how much improvement I want to do before listing it for sale.

• Like 14

I’ll be brief, because cc isn’t let me post so this probably won’t either. At least I can finally react to posts, so maybe?🤞

Jacqui, I don’t blame you for being upset! One of our cruises that was cancelled by HAL and rebooked also was under the $250 OBC for an additional $750 payment. When the funds were transferred to the new cruise, the OBC was not. Our TA, who can be quite a tiger, fought it and lost. She doesn’t lose often. They would be so much better off keeping you on board and happy! @Vict0riann my condolences on your friends tragic loss. We are getting the smoke on Salt Spring now too, but lightly so far. Thank goodness we’re on the island and not in Chilliwack right now. The Air Quality Index is 9 out of 10 right now!

Happy Thursday! Let’s hope this posts. Dodgy internet reminds me of the one thing I DON’T miss about a BHB!

669DBD25-879A-4186-A598-2C0C55653A25.thumb.jpeg.6008e2d7d7757c0aa179b7824f6bbcf7.jpeg

• Like 17