Binax Self Test Kit

jjs217

I have not tried it myself. It certainly would make things more convenient. 

The CDC issued this statement 7/6:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

The relevant section is:

"Does a self-test meet the conditions of the Order?

International air passengers traveling to the United States can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested."

The associated telehealth requirement (so you can be observed doing the test on yourself properly) increases the complexity. At this early stage  I would also not dare trust that all the different people who will look at your result (in the EU country on departing with the airline, and possibly US immigration ) will be aware of this memo, even with telehealth requirements properly completed.

Edited by Catlover54
Clarity

I just found that CDC statement too.  Since they make you jump through hoops to use the self test (I guess to prevent people from cheating), it would be easier to just find a clinic and get a test there.  Lordy, nothing is easy anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I just found that CDC statement too.  Since they make you jump through hoops to use the self test (I guess to prevent people from cheating), it would be easier to just find a clinic and get a test there.  Lordy, nothing is easy anymore.

Amen to your Lordy 😞

20 hours ago, braidmacd said:

If you are doing the Greek Islands and flying out right after the cruise you will have the test done on the Ovation before you leave (According to Seabourn when I contacted them)

But that only works if you are leaving Greece within a day or two.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, braidmacd said:

If you are doing the Greek Islands and flying out right after the cruise you will have the test done on the Ovation before you leave (According to Seabourn when I contacted them)

True.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, jjs217 said:

But that only works if you are leaving Greece within a day or two.

We just returned (yesterday) from Greece and faced the test issue since we had island hopped for a week after our cruise.  There are testing facilities on nearly every island (the Government publishes a list and the hotels can certainly give advice).  In our case we had originally planned to get tested the night before our return flight since we were staying in the Sofitel right next to the airport.  ATH does offer testing.  But after chatting with our hotel concierge we decided to get our test on Paros at the local medical center.  It took us about 10 minutes from when we walked in the door until we exited with our hard copy test results and the cost was 20 Euros (the same cost if you get tested at ATH).   There was no need for an appointment.  Bottom line is that getting tested in Greece is relatively easy and inexpensive.

Hank

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It took us about 10 minutes from when we walked in the door until we exited with our hard copy test results

Pretty impressive since the rapid test kits generally take 15 minutes to process! 😉

Edited by cruiseej

7 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Pretty impressive since the rapid test kits generally take 15 minutes to process! 😉

We were surprised and had expected to be e-mailed our results.  But when we walked in the clinic the receptionist/nurse just asked for our Passports and immediately took us in a room where she did the nose swab.  She then told us to sit in the reception area and wait for our results.  In a few minutes we had the documents.  I have no clue which antigen test they used.   When we got our initial test (3 weeks earlier) at the Seabourn embarkation tent it did take about 15 minutes to get results.  The additional testing done on our ship provided results within 30 minutes.  For us the nasal swabs have become so routine that it is hardly worth a thought.

Hank