Marella Cruise Test requirements on board ship

We are in similar situation regarding our ICELANDIC ADVENTURE cruise from Newcastle on 10 Sept.

The info from TUI / Marella has been very very confusing - simply advising to check FCDO guidance on requirements to secure entry to Iceland and then requirements for return to UK.

As far as we have been able to understand, Iceland will require evidence (certificate) of neg test done 72hrs prior to boarding the ship and completion of an online form & possibly another free test at the port on arrival.

And for return to UK, evidence (certificate) of neg test 48hrs prior to arrival in UK, as well as completion of an online and then PCR test on Day 2.  The online form has a section that will require the reference number of the PCR test that is to be done on return.

All of the above means that the free NHS tests are insufficient to meet the requirements when travelling abroad to any country.

We are still waiting on some clarity from TUI / Marella (been waiting since emailing & calling our local store on 13/8/21 where we booked), especially since all the above does not take into account the particular requirements in Scotland (and Wales) to use a company called CTM.

We appreciate that all travel agents have been struggling with extremely demanding and changing international needs related to travel abroad, but a dedicated department able to provide clear information on each of the forthcoming cruises where there is a visit to a foreign country should be pretty simple to set up rather than the confused messaging which comes from TUI !!! 

Our TA has just rang and said we do need these tests, I explained France is not listed in Chronomics drop down box to order the tests, she said she would find out and call me back, true to her word she did, the person who deals with the tests is aware and is trying to put together a package for the tests needed and in time for our cruise, she assured me ( not sure if I can name her here , but we have been very impressed with her helpfulness) not to worry it will be sorted so we can travel and will keep me updated . She said TUI are sending out emails to their customers regarding requirements.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:34 PM, GOQ said:

Do you know if they received a future cruise credit from Marella or they were just left to fend for themselves with their travel insurance  company ?

In a posting on the P&O forum there is a case of someone (P&O cruise obviously)  who failed the lateral flow test then were then given the more accurate PCR test.

I understand you have three days to rebook or it's an insurance claim

On 8/14/2021 at 7:57 PM, davecttr said:

Bad for Marella, on P&O and your lateral flow test is positive they immediately do a PCR test and you get the result in an hour or so.

That seems a fairer system Dave. Seems quite a few have been denied boarding on Marella but I do understand they have to be very cautious to protect not only other  passengers but also crew who have not been vaccinated yet.

3 hours ago, LLOM said:

Our TA has just rang and said we do need these tests, I explained France is not listed in Chronomics drop down box to order the tests, she said she would find out and call me back, true to her word she did, the person who deals with the tests is aware and is trying to put together a package for the tests needed and in time for our cruise, she assured me ( not sure if I can name her here , but we have been very impressed with her helpfulness) not to worry it will be sorted so we can travel and will keep me updated . She said TUI are sending out emails to their customers regarding requirements.

The mud is not clearing very quickly , think one of the problems is most of the info they give out and the links they give to do this and that are geared up for when flying is involved , its always been a problem from back to the thomson times ,never a totally dedicated cruise system. I presume france does not show on the chronomics list because tui are not flying there at the moment ,if they simply add france on to that list i bet it still wont recognise your booking unless they specifically recode it to accept newcastle port instead of an airport for your return

Just makes you wonder what % tui get out of the testing packages from their "prefferred" partner ,potentially they are going to cost their passengers around £100,000 for the sake of a few hours in france, even on a 10% kickback a good little earner for them ???????

4 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

I understand you have three days to rebook or it's an insurance claim

We hopefully board the Explorer on Saturday at Southampton (selected for wife's 70th, as we didn't fancy flying on a full plane). If we fail the test, not sure what I would book as an alternative that didn't involve flying. Also, if you have had the 3 day option to re-book, not sure insurance would be interested as you have been given an alternative from Tui.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we passed the lateral flow test, and the cruise was great, even the weather favoured us! One chap was taken aside while waiting for the test results, but we saw him on-board later, so perhaps his test was repeated due to an issue with the first one.

Covid restrictions on board made us feel safe, and passengers were very compliant. Each day we did the required temperature checks, and arriving back from excursions, passengers were temperature checked again.

You could also disembark to do your own thing on shore, if you wanted.

Edited by howmuch!

16 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Wonder what they expect to detect doing  temperature checks.

I would think if you have a raised temperature you would be confined to your cabin and a further test carried out to determine if the cause of the high temperature is Covid related.