Coach passengers testing positive at terminal

molecrochip

I am going to be controversial. We have just taken the test in the terminal. Are we REALLY worried about getting a false negative result or do we just want to get on the b****y ship. If we get a positive result at least P&O give you a second chance with the rapid PCR test, other cruise lines may not.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I am going to be controversial. We have just taken the test in the terminal. Are we REALLY worried about getting a false negative result or do we just want to get on the b****y ship. If we get a positive result at least P&O give you a second chance with the rapid PCR test, other cruise lines may not.

Get on the ship. If, as claimed earlier the false negative rate is getting on for 100%, you are all doomed anyway. On Saturday I will insist that they stick the swab up one nostril and down the other.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I said under normal circumstances ,so no it does not include dipping them in any other substance .

Which would be a fake result  not the 99.99 % accurate that you would get if used correctly.

I believe the cats buttock method gives a spurious result. Neither false positive, or false negative. If the cat sat on the mat and the mat was infected with the virus I am positive the result would be.........🤔.

I am sure the predictive thinks I don't really want to say cat sat, but meant to say car seat.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I believe the cats buttock method gives a spurious result. Neither false positive, or false negative. If the cat sat on the mat and the mat was infected with the virus I am positive the result would be.........🤔.

I am sure the predictive thinks I don't really want to say cat sat, but meant to say car seat.

691c0ce32d038795e96062d95329921d5e9205ee.jpg.5a260b7e321931271c5a40cb7ff152fc.jpg

There are so many variables that could foul up the test as well as the cat method.

Never try this method with a dog as the result would show you as feeling Ruff  :classic_wacko:

I did consider letting the grandkids pet squirrel have a chew at it but I think that 

would be pure nuts ! :classic_unsure: I did try the method shown above but I just knew in my heart

that I would never get past P&O security anyway .:classic_mellow: Has anyone tried dipping the test 

into a goldfish bowl ??  So many things that can go wrong . Who said cruising can be 

relaxing :classic_unsure: If I was doing the LFT test ,knowing my luck I would do something stupid like ..

Just follow the instructions :classic_wacko::classic_smile:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, picsa said:

What is a lateral flow Covid test and how accurate is it? | Coronavirus | The Guardian

When it comes to LFTs, the accuracy appears to depend on the make of the test used, whether people have symptoms, and who is conducting the test.

For example, one study by researchers at the University of Oxford and Public Health England’s Porton Down lab found the LFTs were more accurate in the hands of skilled scientists, picking up 79% of Covid cases, than self-trained members of the public, who detected 58% of Covid cases.

Estimates for these rates vary. However, according to the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), and comparing results against those obtained by PCR testing, the false positive rate for LFTs is fewer than one in 1,000, while the false negative rate could be as high as 50%.

I couldn't find any spelling mistakes in that Gruniad article, so maybe all the errors are in the data.😉😇

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Is that something that has been made up? Are people seriously doing that? 🤢🤮

You need to realise that many of us here have a very ironic sense of humour !

Everyone knows that using a cat's buttock gives a purrfect result. 

• Haha 7

Just found this on the nhs website. What happens if you’ve had COVID 2 months before your cruise and fully recovered? According to this statement you can still provide a positive LFT at the terminal.

’People who have had Covid within the last 90 days do not need to use lateral flow tests until 90 days after having the virus, as it could return a positive result. People  should however restart the testing process once the 90-day period has elapsed.’

31 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This begs the question how do you prove to P&O that you have had COVID within the 90 days period and and are now recovered so your lateral flow test should be ignored?

Nhs test and trace have it recorded. You should have taken a PCR which proved positive and isolated for 10 days. Test and trace contact you every day to check on your wellbeing. After 10 days providing you have no symptoms other than a cough, you can resume normal life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Nhs test and trace have it recorded. You should have taken a PCR which proved positive and isolated for 10 days. Test and trace contact you every day to check on your wellbeing. After 10 days providing you have no symptoms other than a cough, you can resume normal life.

It appears you need insurance in place plus do regular lateral flow tests from 90 days before the cruise date. NHS say you can get a positive result so should not do lateral flow tests for 90 days after infection. Apparently PCR tests cannot distinguish between live virus and residual fragments etc without cell culture testing and other tests. However the longer from the infection date the less chance of a live virus. Figures of about 20 days are mentioned beyond which it is unlikely that there is any live virus.

If you are one of the unlucky few you will still miss your cruise but should get FCC

P&O could help by shortening the IMO 90 day final payment requirement.

27 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It appears you need insurance in place plus do regular lateral flow tests from 90 days before the cruise date. NHS say you can get a positive result so should not do lateral flow tests for 90 days after infection. Apparently PCR tests cannot distinguish between live virus and residual fragments etc without cell culture testing and other tests. However the longer from the infection date the less chance of a live virus. Figures of about 20 days are mentioned beyond which it is unlikely that there is any live virus.

If you are one of the unlucky few you will still miss your cruise but should get FCC

P&O could help by shortening the IMO 90 day final payment requirement.

It would be interesting to hear what P&O have to say about it. The website makes all the right noises about updating procedures etc, but doesn’t  appear to be keeping pace with the science.