New to Fred - couple of questions please

Tony1878

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any replies.

We have cruised a number of times with other lines, but never with Fred Olsen, I have spotted a cruise that interests me as it sails from Liverpool which is local to me, no queues at the airport or sitting close to 300 other passengers certainly appeals at this time.

• I'm interested in the Discovering Spain and Balearics cruise sailing on 11/09/21 - is this likely to sail, or have Fred been cancelling a lot of Itineraries?
  • Are they ok with giving refunds if it cancels?  
  • They are saying that you will only be able to disembark at the ports as part of a larger group - does anyone have any idea what type of excursions they are likely to offer? We are both a bit slow walking due to dodgy knees etc.
  • Not that we are unsociable, but we like to have dinner as a 2 and catch up with each other as we don't get the opportunity the rest of the year, we have also shared some uncomfortable tables on previous cruises that i would like to avoid.
  • In light of the current situation, are there sufficient sunbeds available to relax outside? are they still set up next to each other, or are they spaced out.

I sound like I don't want to talk to anyone don't I? hope you understand why we ask these questions and thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Tony1878 said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any replies.

We have cruised a number of times with other lines, but never with Fred Olsen, I have spotted a cruise that interests me as it sails from Liverpool which is local to me, no queues at the airport or sitting close to 300 other passengers certainly appeals at this time.

• I'm interested in the Discovering Spain and Balearics cruise sailing on 11/09/21 - is this likely to sail, or have Fred been cancelling a lot of Itineraries?
  • Are they ok with giving refunds if it cancels?  
  • They are saying that you will only be able to disembark at the ports as part of a larger group - does anyone have any idea what type of excursions they are likely to offer? We are both a bit slow walking due to dodgy knees etc.
  • Not that we are unsociable, but we like to have dinner as a 2 and catch up with each other as we don't get the opportunity the rest of the year, we have also shared some uncomfortable tables on previous cruises that i would like to avoid.
  • In light of the current situation, are there sufficient sunbeds available to relax outside? are they still set up next to each other, or are they spaced out.

I sound like I don't want to talk to anyone don't I? hope you understand why we ask these questions and thanks for your help.

No one can really answer most of those questions, even Fred I suspect, though I would suggest it is worth ringing the office to ask, though if told the cruise will be going ahead, it of course just means that it is not cancelled or changed as yet.  Really a case of wait and see, though if you leave booking until nearer the time, things may be clearer.  Regards a table for two, that can never be confirmed, though you could probably request one.  As late sitting (8.30pm) is less popular than first sitting (6.15pm), you may have more chance of a table for two if you choose that, though as I say no guarantee at all.  Booking a saver fare would not let you even request a table size, though with an extra payment you would be able to request a sitting time, if your choice is available of course.  There is a self service restaurant open every night as an alternative.  

Excursions are not published until three or four weeks before the cruise, so as no Med cruises are planned in the very near future, again there is no indication of possible excursions, though I would expect there to be a mix of those for active people along with some for the less mobile.  Whether you would be allowed ashore independently remains to be seen, but must admit I would not be hopeful at this stage, given UK cruises are still needing excursions.

Cancellation details are best discussed with Fred, though if there are just a couple of port changes, you would not be likely to get a refund on any cruise, though of course if cancelled altogether you should get a refund and they have been relatively quick with those compared to many other cruise lines.  In between that, Fred along with other cruise lines, seems to prefer to let you change a cruise, rather than have a refund, so you may have to be fairly assertive to get the option of a refund.

Sunbeds have been set up in twos with a small space and table in between the twos for the cruises which have sailed so far.  If there are no sunbeds to the rear of deck eight, or around the pool in the centre of deck eight (quite possible on a good day unless you are up early), then there is a large space above the observation lounge (deck 10) where you would likely find beds, but that area is only accessible via outside stairs - there is no lift access.

Would be great to be able to answer all your questions, but sadly it is something everyone is wondering about at present. 

Edited by tring

20 hours ago, tring said:

No one can really answer most of those questions, even Fred I suspect, though I would suggest it is worth ringing the office to ask, though if told the cruise will be going ahead, it of course just means that it is not cancelled or changed as yet.  Really a case of wait and see, though if you leave booking until nearer the time, things may be clearer.  Regards a table for two, that can never be confirmed, though you could probably request one.  As late sitting (8.30pm) is less popular than first sitting (6.15pm), you may have more chance of a table for two if you choose that, though as I say no guarantee at all.  Booking a saver fare would not let you even request a table size, though with an extra payment you would be able to request a sitting time, if your choice is available of course.  There is a self service restaurant open every night as an alternative.  

Excursions are not published until three or four weeks before the cruise, so as no Med cruises are planned in the very near future, again there is no indication of possible excursions, though I would expect there to be a mix of those for active people along with some for the less mobile.  Whether you would be allowed ashore independently remains to be seen, but must admit I would not be hopeful at this stage, given UK cruises are still needing excursions.

Cancellation details are best discussed with Fred, though if there are just a couple of port changes, you would not be likely to get a refund on any cruise, though of course if cancelled altogether you should get a refund and they have been relatively quick with those compared to many other cruise lines.  In between that, Fred along with other cruise lines, seems to prefer to let you change a cruise, rather than have a refund, so you may have to be fairly assertive to get the option of a refund.

Sunbeds have been set up in twos with a small space and table in between the twos for the cruises which have sailed so far.  If there are no sunbeds to the rear of deck eight, or around the pool in the centre of deck eight (quite possible on a good day unless you are up early), then there is a large space above the observation lounge (deck 10) where you would likely find beds, but that area is only accessible via outside stairs - there is no lift access.

Would be great to be able to answer all your questions, but sadly it is something everyone is wondering about at present. 

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - i think i may leave cruising for 12 months and let things settle down hopefully, it's too expensive a hobby to have so many restrictions, i fully understand the reasons however. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony1878 said:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - i think i may leave cruising for 12 months and let things settle down hopefully, it's too expensive a hobby to have so many restrictions, i fully understand the reasons however. 

We are booked on a Princess cruise leaving 22nd October to the Med and Princess have announced this morning that for their Seacations, as well as international cruises leaving before the ships go over to the US in early November, people who are fully vaccinated will be able to go ashore independently, though will have to adhere to restrictions in place in the ports/countries visited which could be the crunch for international cruises.  Hence we need to wait and find out what is allowed in the ports to be visited.  A good step forward though of course, but we have all been used to so many twists and turns with travel abroad over the last year that it is difficult to get too excited about the change from the UK perspective.  Celebrity are also allowing people ashore independently on the summer UK cruises, from what I have read.

Things will get better, but when remains to be seen.