Italian ports now require shp tours ONLY again!

lambs2

Too many people are just not getting the point.  Why I'm irritated at NCL is the fact that it appears that Italy has required these organized shore excursions since at least March if not earlier.  NCL failed to disclose that fact to passengers and, in fact, advertised that because the ship would be 100% vaccinated, we would be allowed to "explore" on our own. If NCL didn't know this, they certainly should have.  If they did know passengers would not be able to explore ports on our own and failed or refused to disclose it until Monday, after final payment was due for the first few cruises, then they were flat-out dishonest.  

I am not upset with the Italian Government's mandate.  I understand that they have to do what they have to do to keep their citizens safe, if this is what it takes.  It's the underhandedness in the way NCL has and is handling this.  We still can't get an answer as to whether NCL will or even can honor the tours like "Florence on your Own" type tours I purchased.  No one will give us an answer, the shore excursion folks were never briefed on it, and I've not heard from a single soul that they got this email NCL claims they sent out.  Why should I believe them? They buried this "disclaimer" on a single page on a website.  I read this same page at least 20 times over the last 3 months I should know to read it 21 times?  90% of passengers don't read Cruise Critic and they will not know this requirement exists.  NCL is just asking for trouble.   

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, JennJ99738 said:

Too many people are just not getting the point.  Why I'm irritated at NCL is the fact that it appears that Italy has required these organized shore excursions since at least March if not earlier.  NCL failed to disclose that fact to passengers and, in fact, advertised that because the ship would be 100% vaccinated, we would be allowed to "explore" on our own. If NCL didn't know this, they certainly should have.  If they did know passengers would not be able to explore ports on our own and failed or refused to disclose it until Monday, after final payment was due for the first few cruises, then they were flat-out dishonest.  

I am not upset with the Italian Government's mandate.  I understand that they have to do what they have to do to keep their citizens safe, if this is what it takes.  It's the underhandedness in the way NCL has and is handling this.  We still can't get an answer as to whether NCL will or even can honor the tours like "Florence on your Own" type tours I purchased.  No one will give us an answer, the shore excursion folks were never briefed on it, and I've not heard from a single soul that they got this email NCL claims they sent out.  Why should I believe them? They buried this "disclaimer" on a single page on a website.  I read this same page at least 20 times over the last 3 months I should know to read it 21 times?  90% of passengers don't read Cruise Critic and they will not know this requirement exists.  NCL is just asking for trouble.   

EXACTLY!!  Well said!!  It is the disclosure of the information BY the cruise line To the client that is the problem...  We feel they are not being forthcoming with vital information they have, and are not making public to the clients.  

They are worried about more cancels!  

Has ANYONE, ANYONE been informed by NCL about the Green Card/LIST to get into Italy without the five day Quarantine?!?!? That it must be done online BEFORE you get to ITALY?!?!  

I found out about it from someone on CRUISE CRITIC! THAT IS ESSENTIAL VITAL INFORMATION!! NCL never said a word to me about it!!

It is NCL Responsibilities to inform the client WHEN THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT CHANGE!!  This should be in a new section for international cruisers on NCL website, that is updated DAILY!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dowsk said:

Trimone and DCguy You are not getting the point. Just let people complain if they want to. NCL is out right lying on the website.  Its not the fact that they are doing this it is how they did it in such a deceitful way. You keep saying the other cruise lines are doing it as well, however, they are not advertising 100% percent vaccinated cruises which allows private shore excursions and then adding small print 3 weeks prior to sailing that they were wrong. NCL is still hiding the fact they are doing this as they have not advised any passengers except with fine print and an asterisk buried in the website.  NCL knows when the majority of passengers find out, they may cancel. 

I myself will not cancel but let people vent if they want

I never said people cannot complain, let ‘em. My point is only that others have a right to disagree, do they not? As far as I’m aware, Cruise Critic allows BOTH those who complain and those who disagree with the reason for complaining. NCL has had on its site for a while the statement that its protocols could change depending on local authorities. This was ALWAYS a possibility. I absolutely do share the sense of disappointment many have voiced, but it strikes me as “sour grapes” to blame the cruise line for doing something it acknowledged it had the right to do all along. Of course, if people want to have a meltdown here which will change nothing, have at it. 

Edited by DCGuy64

1 hour ago, roxette said:

But MSC are not promoting 100% vaccinated, No mask, and such...

Doesn’t matter, NCL has to obey local rules. 
Also, and for the last time, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. Some people seem to believe it’s the cruise line’s responsibility to tell them everything and if they fail to know certain things, the cruise line is to blame. We’re all adults here, it pays to research things on your own, be your own advocate and find out what the rules are in the country you’re visiting. Don’t expect NCL to do it all for you. 

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Do you work for NCL?  You still do not get the point that NCL used deception with its paying customers. But you are right, every one gets to have their own opinion so you can defend them all you want. And you are right the complaining will not help but it may make some people feel better. 

1 hour ago, Gen X Life said:

Has ANYONE, ANYONE been informed by NCL about the Green Card/LIST to get into Italy without the five day Quarantine?!?!? That it must be done online BEFORE you get to ITALY?!?!  

I found out about it from someone on CRUISE CRITIC! THAT IS ESSENTIAL VITAL INFORMATION!! NCL never said a word to me about it!!

Literally every week I read up on the changing rules and protocols regarding entry rules for Italy and Europe in general, oftentimes 4-5 times a week. I’ve known about the Green Pass for weeks now. At a minimum, always check the US State Department’s website, it’s updated all the time. 

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I know. But why mention No masks and be able to go ashore as you wish in the marketing? 

I am not upset. I was only planning to go ashore in Palma on the Epic anyway. But I feel for people who travel from America to see Europe.

5 minutes ago, dowsk said:

Do you work for NCL?  You still do not get the point that NCL used deception with its paying customers. But you are right, every one gets to have their own opinion so you can defend them all you want. And you are right the complaining will not help but it may make some people feel better. 

No, I don’t work for NCL. And I do GET the point, I just disagree with it. There’s a difference between understanding a point and agreeing with it. I’m done, I’m at a music

rehearsal and I can’t text anymore. Bye. 

5 minutes ago, roxette said:

I know. But why mention No masks and be able to go ashore as you wish in the marketing? 

I am not upset. I was only planning to go ashore in Palma on the Epic anyway. But I feel for people who travel from America to see Europe.

We are traveling from the US to Europe next week (unless borders close, etc.) We know we can only do excursions sponsored by the cruise line, we’ve known it for months. 

1 minute ago, roxette said:

Because at the moment it only affects some cruises and these are new policies, with most coming into play on or about 8/1 - and possibly expiring 8/31, in accordance with local policy.

No different than a store that advertises 20% off everything in the store except for the following items/brands..

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Literally every week I read up on the changing rules and protocols regarding entry rules for Italy and Europe in general, oftentimes 4-5 times a week. I’ve known about the Green Pass for weeks now. At a minimum, always check the US State Department’s website, it’s updated all the time. 

Yes and wouldn't it behoove NCL to inform it's paying CUSTOMERS on THEIR WEBSITE of this PROTOCOL/REGULATION?!?!

No one I have spoken to knew anything about it and were planning to go to Italy before their cruise... WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM???

CUSTOMERS; who booked directly through the Cruiseline, it is incumbent upon NCL to inform them when the terms of agreement from the time of purchase change. NCL is acting as the travel agent; if they took the booking, they are responsible.

What is going to happen when (HOW MANY people  X% do not know about this) get to Italy and this blows up in NCL face... it will be all over the internet and then you will see mass cancelations. People will panic, especially older people.

Why be so underhanded and disingenuous?  Put a new Section up on the website and update daily.. Problem solved...  Why hide it???

Edited by Gen X Life
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, roxette said:

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.  An 11 hr flight is a long way to go to possibly be denied boarding or stuck on the ship the entire cruise. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

7 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

Yes and wouldn't it behoove NCL to inform it's paying CUSTOMERS on THEIR WEBSITE of this PROTOCOL/REGULATION?!?!

No one I have spoken to knew anything about it and were planning to go to Italy before their cruise... WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM???

CUSTOMERS; who booked directly through the Cruiseline, it is incumbent upon NCL to inform them when the terms of agreement from the time of purchase change. NCL is acting as the travel agent; if they took the booking, they are responsible.

What is going to happen when (HOW MANY people  X% do not know about this) get to Italy and this blows up in NCL face... it will be all over the internet and then you will see mass cancelations. People will panic, especially older people.

Why be so underhanded and disingenuous?  Put a new Section up on the website and update daily.. Problem solved...  Why hide it???

I don’t know the reason for the anger (hint: multiple question marks and boldened type are a giveaway). NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers, and for that most Americans will need to show their CDC card which is the functional equivalent of the Italian Green Pass. I guess there’s no convincing you otherwise. It’s all NCL’s fault and you won’t listen to anything else. 

• Like 1

I am booked on the epic 9/19. I planned on doing my own thing. As I was looking thru the tours today, many of them also give you time on your own to explore, shop, eat etc. I called NCL excursions department and was told that some of the excursions might be changing and possibly be gone, like the hop on hop off tours.

I don't want to postpone again, i want them to be upfront, change excursions that have to change and let us make a decision whether to cancel or not.

• Like 3

Well now that I have read peoples upset concerns, you all piqued my interest about how NCL is screwing people out of their money and forcing them to take only NCL tour. Oh and I am still looking into Italy’s protocols for cruise ships.

NCL is not the only Cruise line to be doing the “bubble” excursions. And people are getting booted for breaking protocol. At least you are all now warned? Not that that makes any of it better, but I am pretty sure right now, this will clear up the fact that it isn’t just NCL.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5678/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Where did you get that idea? 100 people

on a bus? Is that the NCL excursion you’re talking about? I was under the impression their excursions would limit people, plus don’t you have to be fully vaccinated, anyway? That wouldn’t be true on an excursion you booked independently, unless the tour operator guaranteed it. 

The independent excursions I have booked in Italy are limited to six people per van and they are all people I am traveling with so yes, they are all vaccinated.  I have no issue with using NCL excursions, as I also have a few of them booked on this cruise. But when I can do and see what I want, while skipping the areas that don't interest me, and do it for a third of the price, then I am going to that.  My issue is that NCL is saying this is an Italian government mandate but have failed to provide proof of that nor has anyone in my group received the email they have supposedly sent to us.  And the last NCL excursion I took on my Panama Canal cruise was in a bus with 60 people.

• Like 1

The NCL excursions are far more expensive than independent ones, so for some of us, it is absolutely a budgetary concern. We will probably cancel, not worth flying all the way from San Francisco to just be stuck on a ship or stuck on the very limited and expensive excursions offered by the cruise line. Last time I cruised in Europe I got off the ship in Naples and caught the city bus for 2 euros to go see Pompeii. I am accustomed to saving money and being free; neither of which seems like an option for now.

Also, this type of information should be shared more clearly when we are booking. This is new information for many of us.

Edited by oskibella
typo
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

The independent excursions I have booked in Italy are limited to six people per van and they are all people I am traveling with so yes, they are all vaccinated.  I have no issue with using NCL excursions, as I also have a few of them booked on this cruise. But when I can do and see what I want, while skipping the areas that don't interest me, and do it for a third of the price, then I am going to that.  My issue is that NCL is saying this is an Italian government mandate but have failed to provide proof of that nor has anyone in my group received the email they have supposedly sent to us.  And the last NCL excursion I took on my Panama Canal cruise was in a bus with 60 people.

I have paid way more for private tours than with Cruise excursions BUT they were exactly what I WANTED!!!  And I loved every minute of them... because when I didn't.. MOVING ON!!

Or; when you do go on a Ship excursion and it says " This Tour is a Death March" people with handicaps DO NOT PURCHASE.; And inevitably you get these people who insist they are fit and can handle it with their wheel chair and canes... I mean really... No disrespect intended ; but know your limitations and respect other people paid for the tour also. >>. Do not ruin it for everyone>> Do not make them wait for you! Take a private excursion!

I do not want to be bothered,, and by the time you pay for 4-6 people you have the equivalent cost of a great private tour.

I am not sitting on a bus with 60 people for 1-2 hours with the windows up, have you lost your mind!!  Covid, Delta -- No.

This is turning into; sooo not a vacation.

2 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

PLEASE do not spread incorrect information.  I know folks are upset, but don't share incorrect or partial information.  

US Citizens who are vaccinated DO NOT need a Green Pass.

United States of America, Department of State

U.S. Embassy & Consulates
in Italy

• Effective August 6, 2021, the “Digital Green Certificate/Green Pass” is necessary to access some locations and participate in certain social activities such as: indoor seated dining at restaurants and bars, museums, exhibitions, cultural sites, sporting events, swimming pools, gyms, concerts, fairs, conferences, amusement parks and other venues. The Italian Ministry of Health issued an ordinance on July 29, 2021 stating that an Anti-COVID-19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized vaccine from competent U.S. health authorities (CDC “white cards”) will be considered the equivalent of the Italian Green Pass where this requirement exists. Alternatively, you can provide a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result taken within 48 hours before entering a restaurant/museum etc. or a medical certificate issued by competent US authorities confirming recovery from COVID within the previous 6 months. Certificates are accepted in Italian, English, Spanish or French and can be both digital or in paper copy.
  • The Italian government extended the Covid-19 state of emergency until December 31, 2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Krazy Kat said:

PLEASE do not spread incorrect information.  I know folks are upset, but don't share incorrect or partial information.  

US Citizens who are vaccinated DO NOT need a Green Pass.

United States of America, Department of State

U.S. Embassy & Consulates
in Italy

• Effective August 6, 2021, the “Digital Green Certificate/Green Pass” is necessary to access some locations and participate in certain social activities such as: indoor seated dining at restaurants and bars, museums, exhibitions, cultural sites, sporting events, swimming pools, gyms, concerts, fairs, conferences, amusement parks and other venues. The Italian Ministry of Health issued an ordinance on July 29, 2021 stating that an Anti-COVID-19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized vaccine from competent U.S. health authorities (CDC “white cards”) will be considered the equivalent of the Italian Green Pass where this requirement exists. Alternatively, you can provide a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result taken within 48 hours before entering a restaurant/museum etc. or a medical certificate issued by competent US authorities confirming recovery from COVID within the previous 6 months. Certificates are accepted in Italian, English, Spanish or French and can be both digital or in paper copy.
  • The Italian government extended the Covid-19 state of emergency until December 31, 2021

Sites HAVE BEEN denying access if you don't have green and  only have white card.. It was just on the news about Americans not being allowed into some sites.. Police at the gates (maybe they didn't read the new memo) said no green pass no entry, But that was a week ago. 

You go right ahead and argue with the Italian policeman..  They just love Americans.

I will look into it more but just like these tour guides telling people it is ok to take private excursions...  No it's not for Cruise Passengers. > Land Tourists Fine. 

And I was also referring to the locator online 

Well Ncl has solved it because all Excursions are NCL ONLY so it does not matter they will handle it , but if you go a few days early HAVE FUN getting into the sites!

Edited by Gen X Life

1 hour ago, oskibella said:

Also, this type of information should be shared more clearly when we are booking. This is new information for many of us.

If I understand correctly, these changes are relatively new - as in many became effective 8/1.  So not even on anyone's radar when I booked a few months back.

4 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

Totally agree with you. I was told they sent out an email and never got it.

I have rebooked with NCL for the 3 excursions I had made and canceled with outside companies which more then doubled the price and cut into our spending money:(

I truly had no choice, this is our first trip to Europe and I couldn’t imagine just watching our dreams from the balcony of our room. My daughter and I are so excited I just hope we aren’t disappointed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nikki maestas said:

Totally agree with you. I was told they sent out an email and never got it.

I have rebooked with NCL for the 3 excursions I had made and canceled with outside companies which more then doubled the price and cut into our spending money:(

I truly had no choice, this is our first trip to Europe and I couldn’t imagine just watching our dreams from the balcony of our room. My daughter and I are so excited I just hope we aren’t disappointed.

If this is your first trip to Europe, you will not be disappointed!!

Pick one thing in 2 or 3 cities, study up on it and make that your mission to enjoy.  Don't try to do it all in one trip, once you go to Europe you will want to go again! We always recommend a food from the country or a national drink, while there to experience - Italy: Gelato, Cannoli, Aperol Spritz, Limoncello 

If you only have one day in Rome: Don't do the Coliseum, unless it is the drive by, long lines and there are just way too many other (better) things to see. St Peters Basilica is breathtaking, (Bring back plenty of Rosaries for Christmas presents and Christening Gifts if you are Catholic, buy them from vendors outside Vatican for 1/2 the price out of St Peter's square, well they were b4 covid) Trevi fountain is beautiful. 

Have a wonderful trip and a fabulous Cruise!! 

• Like 1