Hotel Recommendations for San Diego Departure

doone

3 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I noticed from your signature that you hail from Coronado.  Do you have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Coronado (other than the del Coronado due to bad reviews)?  Thank you!

If you want a pool, the Coronado Marriott at the Ferry Landing, overlooking the cruise terminal would be my first pick. You could use the ferry the next day to get to your ship. After that, the Glorietta Bay Inn and La Avenida Inn for a budget choice. Without a pool, 1906 Lodge and the Hotel Marisol Coronado.

Other than the Marriott, the hotels are all in "downtown" Coronado.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you want a pool, the Coronado Marriott at the Ferry Landing, overlooking the cruise terminal would be my first pick. You could use the ferry the next day to get to your ship. After that, the Glorietta Bay Inn and La Avenida Inn for a budget choice. Without a pool, 1906 Lodge and the Hotel Marisol Coronado.

Other than the Marriott, the hotels are all in "downtown" Coronado.

Thank you!  What do you think of the El Cordova?

On 10/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, Pushkin said:

I noticed from your signature that you hail from Coronado.  Do you have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Coronado (other than the del Coronado due to bad reviews)?  Thank you!

The El Cordova just across the street from the Del has a lot of history and is in a great location.  We did a huge family reunion there a few years ago and we pretty much took over the hotel.  The hotel was the living quarters for the construction workers for the Del.  There is a huge suite above the office that was for the superintendent.  It has a living room dining room that would seat 12 along with three bedrooms.  The rooms go down from there.  We have stayed at the Best Western Suites and the Marriott Resort, but very nice.    

On 10/6/2021 at 7:57 AM, Pushkin said:

Thank you!  What do you think of the El Cordova?

Just be careful about the room you book.  Some can be really small.  We had a nice sized room with a living room and kitchen, but it backed to the alley and we heard the garbage trucks early.    

The El Cordova just across the street from the Del has a lot of history and is in a great location.  We did a huge family reunion there a few years ago and we pretty much took over the hotel.  The hotel was the living quarters for the construction workers for the Del.  There is a huge suite above the office that was for the superintendent.  It has a living room dining room that would seat 12 along with three bedrooms.  The rooms go down from there.  We have stayed at the Best Western Suites and the Marriott Resort, but very nice.    

On 10/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Thanks for your comments on El Cordova.  It seems charming from the outside, but the rooms do seem dark and ordinary.  I have taken it off the list.  Thanks!

I'm sailing the Koningsdam in February and just received an email from Southwest Airlines that my return home flight has been changed from 12:45 pm to 9:45 am.  Even though the cruise terminal and airport are very close to each other, I do not want to risk getting off the ship and checking my luggage in time for that early a flight.

Telling my son about my having to change my airline for flight back home, he suggested I stay in San Diego and leave the following morning on my now revised Southwest flight. He offered hotel points for me stay and enjoy the day in San Diego.  

Quickly glancing at hotel options, he suggested the Double Tree Downtown San Diego (1646 Front St.) or the Hampton Inn (1532 Pacific Highway) as being close to the terminal. 

For the night before the cruise I am staying at the Best Western on Ash St. I've stayed there before and enjoy walking over to Little Italy. Would like to try another hotel in close proximity to the cruise terminal/airport.

I am a widow, travel solo. I've read the comments here about the train noise and that would not bother me, but I do want a location that has restaurants, shops, perhaps waterfront area to stroll along, and is safe to walk around at night. 

Thank you for any help you can give me.

5 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

Telling my son about my having to change my airline for flight back home, he suggested I stay in San Diego and leave the following morning on my now revised Southwest flight. He offered hotel points for me stay and enjoy the day in San Diego.  Quickly glancing at hotel options, he suggested the Double Tree Downtown San Diego (1646 Front St.) or the Hampton Inn (1532 Pacific Highway) as being close to the terminal.

If he has Hilton points, look at the following hotels in this order; Carte Hotel San Diego Downtown, Homewood Suites Bayside and Hilton Garden Inn Bayside. All three are in Little Italy.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, vinonme2 said:

I am a widow, travel solo. I've read the comments here about the train noise and that would not bother me, but I do want a location that has restaurants, shops, perhaps waterfront area to stroll along, and is safe to walk around at night.

We are big fans of the Hilton Gaslamp hotel.  It's close to what you are looking for.  Our second choice is the Embassy Suites which is a little better for what you want, but can be more expensive.  Downtown SD is fairly compact and getting to the airport is pretty straight forward.  Staying a few blocks further out from the airport to get a nice place in a nice location wouldn't change my mind.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holland America has us staying one night at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina and the rate is $308 which inc.uses transportation.  Considering the short distance I’m wondering if this is reasonably priced or on the high-side.  The room rate through the hotel is $246.  Thank you for your input. 

2 hours ago, Doglovertoo said:

Holland America has us staying one night at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina and the rate is $308 which inc.uses transportation.  Considering the short distance I’m wondering if this is reasonably priced or on the high-side.  The room rate through the hotel is $246.  Thank you for your input. 

Cruise line hotel rates are almost always far more expensive that you can do on your own. I am going to bet the hotel has a free shuttle from the airport, and a taxi hotel to port won't be $20. So you can compare.

I still think the Hotel del Coronado is great.

That said, the Coronado Marriott is great and it is directly across the bay from the cruise port and Downtown San Diego; just marvelous views.

Hotel Marisol and 1906 Lodge are great in nice locations in downtown Coronado, but no pool, if that matters.

After that, the Glorietta Bay Inn, La Avenida and maybe the Crown City Inn.