CDC cruise ship color status

mraven

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

No Seabourn ships on the list yet since they are not in US waters, but that will change in a few months. The chart shows each ship's status with regards to infections and the CDC's investigation status.

Green is the best status,followed by orange, then yellow, red, and grey. Thankfully, no reds on the list at this point. Site is updated 2-3 times a week.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mraven said:

Ovation status changed to yellow which means there are cases on board and the CDC is investigating.

Or a case. A single passenger on a ship this size, or one crew member, is all it takes. Or someone who disembarked the previous cruise subsequently tested positive. 

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Or a case. A single passenger on a ship this size, or one crew member, is all it takes. Or someone who disembarked the previous cruise subsequently tested positive. 

On the Seabourn sailors group on Facebook, a passenger said that she and her husband tested positive and were offloaded Ovation yesterday in Miami and had their onward Holiday Cruise canceled. She was very helpful in answering other people's questions over there.

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

On the Seabourn sailors group on Facebook, a passenger said that she and her husband tested positive and were offloaded Ovation yesterday in Miami and had their onward Holiday Cruise canceled. She was very helpful in answering other people's questions over there.

I was concerned when this person said she had no knowledge of whether others on the ship had tested positive because SB was not telling passengers that there were positive cases onboard.  She also said that the the hotel where they were taken was "shocking".  Such a shame that she was going to miss the next leg of her cruise--and right here at Christmastime.  Of course the important thing is health--and I hope the two of them remain with either no symptoms or mild symptoms.  

23 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I was concerned when this person said she had no knowledge of whether others on the ship had tested positive because SB was not telling passengers that there were positive cases onboard. 

They never do.  I just got off that voyage yesterday in Miami.  Friends who are continuing on did see the hazmat operation yesterday and figured something was up but didn't know any details.

We were on board in Oct and Nov and couples were offloaded at two ports two weeks apart, and again not a word from Seabourn.  People find out either if they witness the hazmat suit operation or if the offloaded guests post about their experience online.

13 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

They never do.  I just got off that voyage yesterday in Miami.  Friends who are continuing on did see the hazmat operation yesterday and figured something was up but didn't know any details.

We were on board in Oct and Nov and couples were offloaded at two ports two weeks apart, and again not a word from Seabourn.  People find out either if they witness the hazmat suit operation or if the offloaded guests post about their experience online.

I was just reading an article in the Miami Herald about covid cases aboard cruise ships.  That author stated that cruise line transparency about cases is important.  What do you think?  Should SB tell passengers on board exactly how many cases have been discovered?  I do understand protecting privacy, but SB could be transparent without divulging names.  In other words, do passengers have a right to know about cases of covid onboard?

25 minutes ago, SLSD said:

In other words, do passengers have a right to know about cases of covid onboard?

Absolutely, when it comes to public health in the midst of a pandemic!

According to her online posts, the lady said SB asked them about their close contacts and tested all of them.  But that could hardly be sufficient, could it?

More than 95% of guests in the Grand Salon or the Club (during trivia) - enclosed areas with low ceilings and no fresh air ventilation - do NOT wear their mask.  And at TK Grill, for instance, we are often seated in the circular "sofa bench" section with 3 tables that are inches apart from one another.

I read that some cruise lines do automatic contact tracing via an electronic medallion worn by everyone, so that they have perfect information about who is in contact with anybody else anywhere and anytime on the ship.  SB does not have that.

Edited by sfvoyage

5 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

More than 95% of guests in the Grand Salon or the Club (during trivia) - enclosed areas with low ceilings and no fresh air ventilation - do NOT wear their mask.  And at TK Grill, for instance, we are often seated in the circular "sofa bench" section with 3 tables that are inches apart from one another.

and if you followed a thread a couple of days earlier you would have read one person saying how ridiculous and unnecessary wearing a mask is.....AND that particular person boarded Ovation yesterday.....a few like that onboard and the problem will explode....

• Like 2

I do not do Facebook.  I had friends that just disembarked Ovation yesterday.  They said they met lots of people staying on for the next cruise.  Did the woman who was disembarked say where she was from?  I have other friends who embarked yesterday I will reach out to them to see what they know.  My friends who just got off 12/21 were told the future cruise consultant was sick on Monday 12/20.  I hope that has nothing to do with covid.

42 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Seems the people concerned in this latest Covid problem, are now happier....Seabourn are taking care of them, and they have been contacted by President Josh.....so that is good news!

It is wonderful news indeed.  But, did it take social media posts to get these guests great treatment?  Just think what better PR it would have been to give them superb treatment from the beginning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

And it's now been reported that a crew member aboard Ovation died overnight, but the captain stressed that it was not Covid-related. It's put a damper on what would have otherwise been festive Christmas celebrations aboard today. 

OMG, that is so sad.  I wonder if it was a crew member that guests would know or one from behind the scenes.  So sad no matter who it was.  Their poor family, apart from them now.

We are “that couple.” We are on Ovation Dec 21, 2021 to Jan 11, 2022, Panama Canal, Miami to LA. My husband tested positive at the antigen testing on day three and I am negative. They moved him to a separate suite on the fifth deck for 10 days.  Only four passengers tested pos, so ok.  Seabourn could not be more wonderful. We get calls throughout the day from guest services and room service and the maître d’ of the hotel etc. etc. I asked for weights to be brought to my room so that I can work out and sure enough,  I now have weights. Seabourn is going above and beyond and everyone at guest services under the tutelage of Jo, the manager, has been absolutely incredible. Hardest part is being separated from my husband.  Unless you are at home in quarantine, this is the best place to be.  We cannot stop living during these uncertain times, and knowing that SB has our backs should assure any of you on the fence to bite the bullet and book your next cruise.  Life is for those of us risk-takers and never know if there will be another chance, so do it while you can. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Hobar said:

My husband tested positive at the antigen testing on day three and I am negative. They moved him to a separate suite on the fifth deck for 10 days.

After the positive result from the initial rapid antigen test, Seabourn must have used the PCR test to confirm the positive result from the initial screening, is that right?  (The rapid antigen is only a screening and not a diagnostic test and has a high false negative and false positive rates.)

Also, will your husband be "released" after testing negative on the 10th day?  On previous cruises, I read that passengers quarantined on board are offloaded at the next possible port for quarantine at a hotel.

Only four passengers tested pos, so ok.

Hobar are you saying their are 3 other guests plus your husband  that are positive Covid cases on board?

I send my best wish for your husbands speedy recovery and wish you the best.Your a brave and determined women God bless.

14 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

After the positive result from the initial rapid antigen test, Seabourn must have used the PCR test to confirm the positive result from the initial screening, is that right?  (The rapid antigen is only a screening and not a diagnostic test and has a high false negative and false positive rates.)

Also, will your husband be "released" after testing negative on the 10th day?  On previous cruises, I read that passengers quarantined on board are offloaded at the next possible port for quarantine at a hotel.

Mea culpa.  Our antigen screens were pos.  We then submitted to Reverse Transcriptase (RT)-PCR testing.

Depends on the country.  We - and SB - are hoping to remain on.  Now in Curaçao and haven’t been told to pack.  Mostly sea days coming up with only two stops in Costa Rica so fingers crossed.  Very fluid situation.  SB has the four positive cases all in a special quarantine area removed from all passengers and crew with lots of precautions taken to avoid any contact.  Room service delivers to them, rings bell and runs away.  Everything disposable to avoid cross-contamination.  Goes without saying that we feel safe and cared for on the ship, and I suspect SB is working behind the scenes to assure the countries of all ports it visits that it’s protocols are superior to theirs.  But bottom line is that the port calls the shots, no SB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captainlyle said:

Only four passengers tested pos, so ok.

Hobar are you saying their are 3 other guests plus your husband  that are positive Covid cases on board?

I send my best wish for your husbands speedy recovery and wish you the best.Your a brave and determined women God bless.

4 guests are pos, including my husband.  I don’t know how many pass - I heard 280 and then I heard 480.  

You give me too much credit; I am just responding as best I can.  I anticipate being out of isolation in 48 hours; it’s my husband who is bearing the brunt.  But it’s the chance we took, and it beats staying home waiting for the pandemic to end.  Can’t live life waiting.

Thank you, and happy and healthy holidays.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

4 guests are pos, including my husband.  I don’t know how many pass - I heard 280 and then I heard 480.  

You give me too much credit; I am just responding as best I can.  I anticipate being out of isolation in 48 hours; it’s my husband who is bearing the brunt.  But it’s the chance we took, and it beats staying home waiting for the pandemic to end.  Can’t live life waiting.

Thank you, and happy and healthy holidays.  

Sue and I were on the plank yelling for Barry to “visit “ with him and get him to throw down a few bottles of that good wine he is stocking up on…but we didn’t see him!! A few others came out annoyed but wth??

Admire how you all both handling this !!

• Like 1