Email about Oceans benefits

Li-shan

Just got an email about Oceans benefits. Current discounts on fares, purchases and excursions still apply, but there is a problem with onboard gifts, cocktail parties and phone lines. I won't really miss the benefits that may not be available, but somehow I felt the email was a bit of an insult - surely they should be courting the loyalty of Oceans members at this time and not cutting back on benefits; there may be Covid reasons for the cocktail parties but it can't be that difficult to get some promotional items as onboard gifts.What do others think?

We have been on Borealis twice and each time we got a gift.  It was a pair of wine bottle stands - quite heavy, good quality ones, though as the same thing (and we did not want two lots) we did politely return the second set to reception, but to be honest we are not too bothered about the gifts, but it is a ice touch.

We had asked about the cocktail party part way through the eight night cruise and were told it would not happen and the email does say that and the event, "is affected by covid-19 regs at this time", so seems just a temporary pause.  The Captain's welcome party is not working in the same way either.  Instead of another gathering in the main lounge (or wherever) before dinner, we were given a glass of cava soon after we went into the restaurant on the two formal nights and the Captain made a short speech, introduced some staff and proposed a toast from the balcony of the upper MDR.  I was surprised they did not do the cocktail party, as it is basically a good way for the Oceans/sales reps to do a lengthy advertising spiel to what could be a very worthwhile audience, so seems good value from the Fred perspective for the distribution of a few drinks (especially as some will be on the drinks pack anyway).

Overall, I cannot say we were too bothered, as long as we still get the discounts, which is something we would be far more concerned about.  Regards the phone lines, I am not so sure it makes a big difference as we find the office very good at answering phones and dealing with queries or requests for anything we have needed.  Within a day of returning from both cruises our loyalty points had been adjusted and on one of them we were also upgraded to the next level, so cannot say that is a problem either.

I do agree though that Fred would be a tad silly to disregard his past passengers, especially in this climate when all cruise lines seem to be having some problems getting bookings.  Interesting to see the level that his prices have been reduced for the cruises sailing in the near future, though given the starting prices, it is not what you could call surprising.  I see his website now says passengers will be allowed to go ashore independently from 1st September, (if the ports allow), which will help sales of cruises, though I assume we could still be restricted by any country visited on an international cruise.

Hope all is well with you,

Barbara

Edited by tring