Balconies only from now on

cruise pup

Ships are setting aside blocks of cabins where they place people in quarantine.  On ships that have balconies, they will be balconies.  So if there is a need for you to be quarantined, they will move you from that carefully chosen balcony cabin to one of their choosing.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Ships are setting aside blocks of cabins where they place people in quarantine.  On ships that have balconies, they will be balconies.  So if there is a need for you to be quarantined, they will move you from that carefully chosen balcony cabin to one of their choosing.  EM

That is refreshing news.   I had read that quarantined folk were given a small cabin on the lower deck near the med center.  Can't remember which cruise line. 

Additionally, folks who were exposed to someone testing positive are quarantined to their cabin until a test result comes back negative.  No cabin movement in those cases.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kvetcher57 said:

Should I decide to resume cruising I must have a balcony with my cabin. Not for the luxury but out of necessity should there be a need to access fresh air.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.   The sooner we get past the pandemic the better.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

That is a very good point with the balcony for the fresh air exchange even though they did change the air systems on most ships.

We do have one on the next sailing next September and always look forward to the outside to see the sea, in and out of ports and especially the night sky.

So now you bought another feature to our cabin to light since this c19 thing will be lasting for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Crentist the Dentist said:

BklynBoy8: I have a friend who said he was unhappy with his balcony on the QM2 because it was more like a big open porthole. I assume they aren't all like that. But I guess the lesson is to try to see an image of the balcony cabin you book.

I don't think I'd be happy with a restricted balcony either.

CTD,

Sorry someone gave them their opinions of a balcony but think it depends on the ship you experience.

We have been on Cunard and HAL ships with very favorable experience we have never turned away from and continue to book. NO Balcony is like a Porthole except what we call now a days ships we call Mega Ship.

We have seen these ships but in person and in pictures and I wouldn't give you 2 cents for any of these cabins. I chair no table not enough space even to open the cabin door. May I take my opinion back, not for 1 cents.

The cabin we had on HAL we enjoyed and always book. We can lounge and even on a table w two chairs have breakfast and enjoy the view.

Once we took a balcony on the old Caronia not in service anymore on Cunard we never turned back. From now on always on the QM2. We sun ourselves, have tea, lunch and read privately away from the crowds on the open pool deck. Or shoulder to shoulder lounges on a Promenade Deck.

Each ship website should show several photos of the balcony and also the sq feet so not to miss guide you.

We are extreme happy with the Mary 2. Maybe as mentioned in many places, the Mary 2 is not meant for your friend.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Crentist the Dentist said:

I was excited that you mentioned the Caronia because my grandparents used to sail on this ship. I'm guessing it was the 50s or early 60s. (I hope that didn't date either of us!)

I have some old grainy video of the ship. It's mostly unwatchable, but I just took a screen print to show you since I think you can make out the greenish coloring.

436525592_Screenshot2021-11-1110_06_01PM.thumb.png.9cb50429548bc5b111c184b20af6e107.png

It's a small world, isn't it?

CTD,

Thank you for acknowledging the Caronia. We only had one sailing on her but that was the ship that changed our minds about balconies. She was like a old style ship Cunard had ex. Countess. Small but very enjoyable and all on board to enjoy the entertainment and activities. I remember her well. We took her on a NE/Canada in August 2001. We never booked another Porthole (3 Large Windows) Cabin again.

True a different style and size ship but still elegant.

Unfortunately I can not recall in all our decades of sailing have we ever experienced or named a cabin a "Porthole". We were completely in agreement with the imagine of the cabin we booked.

The Mary 2 is a unique ship (sorry Ocean Liner) around. We are definitely not Mega Ship passengers. 

• Like 1