Cruise ships are Back in Mallorca !!!!

roger b

8 minutes ago, roger b said:

Roger, what a coincidence! :classic_smile: I've just been looking at your old DIY thread because we will be stopping at Palma on Harmony OTS on 27 September. Can I trouble you for some updated information, since obviously that thread was pre-Covid?

A change to our itinerary means we have a full day in Palma - 8am to 8pm - and (as things stand at the moment) since we're all vaxed up we get to roam on our own instead of being restricted to cruise ship excursions.

We are thinking of taking the Soller train/tram for a DIY trip. I've just been looking at the Tren de Soller website (http://trendesoller.com/en/home/) but since there's no mention of the dreaded C-word on it, it's hard to tell if the trains and trams are still (or have started back) running again or if this website is hopelessly out of date. Would you know?

Assuming it's correct and up-to-date, the timetable on the website suggests we would not be able to return until the afternoon (4.30 pm) so is there anywhere you would suggest for lunch in Soller or Port of Soller? We wouldn't need anything fancy but would definitely want local food rather than stuff prepared "à la tourist".

Also, would you know roughly the current cost of a taxi from the Port of Palma to the station in Palma city centre where you catch the Soller train? I've tried using the taxi fare finders but they don't seem to want to cooperate, although I'm sure it's just because I'm not putting in the correct details. I know the local bus would be cheaper but for convenience and with there being four of us we'd probably prefer to use a taxi.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions. :classic_smile:

14 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Roger, what a coincidence! :classic_smile: I've just been looking at your old DIY thread because we will be stopping at Palma on Harmony OTS on 27 September. Can I trouble you for some updated information, since obviously that thread was pre-Covid?

A change to our itinerary means we have a full day in Palma - 8am to 8pm - and (as things stand at the moment) since we're all vaxed up we get to roam on our own instead of being restricted to cruise ship excursions.

We are thinking of taking the Soller train/tram for a DIY trip. I've just been looking at the Tren de Soller website (http://trendesoller.com/en/home/) but since there's no mention of the dreaded C-word on it, it's hard to tell if the trains and trams are still (or have started back) running again or if this website is hopelessly out of date. Would you know?

Assuming it's correct and up-to-date, the timetable on the website suggests we would not be able to return until the afternoon (4.30 pm) so is there anywhere you would suggest for lunch in Soller or Port of Soller? We wouldn't need anything fancy but would definitely want local food rather than stuff prepared "à la tourist".

Also, would you know roughly the current cost of a taxi from the Port of Palma to the station in Palma city centre where you catch the Soller train? I've tried using the taxi fare finders but they don't seem to want to cooperate, although I'm sure it's just because I'm not putting in the correct details. I know the local bus would be cheaper but for convenience and with there being four of us we'd probably prefer to use a taxi.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions. :classic_smile:

Hi,

I will answer on my Tread Mallorca DIY as I would like to start this up again  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, roger b said:

Great news. 

We are due to sail from the UK to Spanish ports in the Med late September/early October.  Do you think we will be allowed to dock as well, and if so, would you expect us to be able to go ashore independently, or are passengers needing to take excursions to go ashore in Spanish ports at present?  There is to be a travel review in the UK next week, so we are hoping there will not be a problem from the UK side by then, but we do realise anything can change, even last minute.

The ship we are due to sail on is only 62,000 tons, so only about a third of the size of the Costa one mentioned in the article.

1 hour ago, tring said:

Great news. 

We are due to sail from the UK to Spanish ports in the Med late September/early October.  Do you think we will be allowed to dock as well, and if so, would you expect us to be able to go ashore independently, or are passengers needing to take excursions to go ashore in Spanish ports at present?  There is to be a travel review in the UK next week, so we are hoping there will not be a problem from the UK side by then, but we do realise anything can change, even last minute.

The ship we are due to sail on is only 62,000 tons, so only about a third of the size of the Costa one mentioned in the article.

It is pretty safe here in Majorca as the covid case numbers are dropping rapidly and depending on your cruise ship's rules .I think you will be able to travel freely in Palma ,I cannot comment on other Spanish ports as the rest of Spain still has high numbers of covid cases.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, roger b said:

It is pretty safe here in Majorca as the covid case numbers are dropping rapidly and depending on your cruise ship's rules .I think you will be able to travel freely in Palma ,I cannot comment on other Spanish ports as the rest of Spain still has high numbers of covid cases.

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Will keep our fingers crossed.

Barbara

• 4 months later...

My family of 12 will visit Mallorca the end of May.  Would a catamaran tour be good at this time of year?  What is the water temperature?  If this doesn't work, looking for a good overall tour suggestion.  With 12 people, I don't want to attempt a DIY.  I hope someone can help me with a suggestion. Thanks

11 hours ago, pattiemc said:

My family of 12 will visit Mallorca the end of May.  Would a catamaran tour be good at this time of year?  What is the water temperature?  If this doesn't work, looking for a good overall tour suggestion.  With 12 people, I don't want to attempt a DIY.  I hope someone can help me with a suggestion. Thanks

Hi,

A catamaran trio is a good idea for May , if there are 12 ,you can look at a private tour which will  be a little more expensive ,but worth it.

There are two main companies here in Palma Attraction and Oasis, I would go for the smaller boat Oasis as Attraction is a party boat .

The water temperature is around 20 degrees and and plenty warm enough.

https://www.oasiscatamaran.com/en/