Non-cruise hotel thoughts?

markeb

Should be simple, but maybe not, question. 

if all goes well, we’re planning on heading to Manhattan by Amtrak in October. It will be a slightly belated 30th anniversary.  I’m lifetime Titanium with Marriott, and would normally book a Marriott property, but my normal properties are crazy overpriced. I will be on the computer and phone at 9;00 am when Le Bernadin opens October reservations (and probably a “just to be sure” email ahead of time). 

We are booked at the Westin Times Square, not our preference, as most Marriott properties are absurd. Any insights as to what’s going on with Midtown hotels?  I just booked George’s favorite, the Michelangelo, as it’s a 2 minute  walk to Le Bernadin, and if we hit the bar and use their car service back to Penn Station, it’s almost a wash on price, for a bigger room. And the lounges generally aren’t open on weekends, and haven’t been “normal” for awhile. 

What am I missing? I know some hotels have been repurposed as shelters, but ive never seen anything like this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

What am I missing? I know some hotels have been repurposed as shelters, but ive never seen anything like this.

If you're Marriott Titanium as I am, what's the issue using some points to book the St Regis? Its a category 8-- regularly $1100-1200 per night and at 70,000-85,000 a night its a tremendous value. Spectacular hotel in an amazing location. 

18 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you're Marriott Titanium as I am, what's the issue using some points to book the St Regis? Its a category 8-- regularly $1100-1200 per night and at 70,000-85,000 a night its a tremendous value. Spectacular hotel in an amazing location. 

Might look at that. Honestly, I usually use my points in Europe. The same number of points for a $400/night hotel in NYC gets me a GBP 400-500 hotel in London... But I'll check that out. That's kind of crazy cheap on points!

(Yeah. Lifetime Titanium by the skin of my teeth!)

October is always the most expensive. It could be that the large hotels are not fully staffed so they are limiting occupancy. 

What about a property in midtown East. Better neighborhoods but still walkable to LeBernardin and Central Park and Penn Station. 

On 8/21/2021 at 1:00 AM, markeb said:

But I'll check that out. That's kind of crazy cheap on points!

It's the best redemption in NYC in my opinion. Every room comes with butler service and its the same points/dollars ratio as you would get in a 5 star London hotel, maybe even a little better. 

We used to stay at that Westin and really liked the service and the views from the higher floors, but the area is so crowded we've moved our 5-6 annual stays to TriBeCa and below.  Much calmer neighborhoods, but great transit to midtown for theater, dining, museums, etc.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, markeb said:

Should be simple, but maybe not, question. 

if all goes well, we’re planning on heading to Manhattan by Amtrak in October. It will be a slightly belated 30th anniversary.  I’m lifetime Titanium with Marriott, and would normally book a Marriott property, but my normal properties are crazy overpriced. I will be on the computer and phone at 9;00 am when Le Bernadin opens October reservations (and probably a “just to be sure” email ahead of time). 

We are booked at the Westin Times Square, not our preference, as most Marriott properties are absurd. Any insights as to what’s going on with Midtown hotels?  I just booked George’s favorite, the Michelangelo, as it’s a 2 minute  walk to Le Bernadin, and if we hit the bar and use their car service back to Penn Station, it’s almost a wash on price, for a bigger room. And the lounges generally aren’t open on weekends, and haven’t been “normal” for awhile. 

It’s not a two minute walk to Le Bernardin it’s just across the street , if you really want to treat yourself go for the suite it’s not that much more but need to tell them you want the suite with two bathrooms, they have another suite same price with one bath both  are 600 sq ft . They also have a 800 sq ft suite with two full bathrooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get serious! Luckily, right before going to bed last night, I looked at Le Bernadin's reservation policies. And NOW, they open reservations on Resy at 7:00 am on the first of the month, where it used to be 9:00 am. All the difference in the world! On the iPad at 6:45, check availability at exactly 7:00, reservations for 2 at 7:45 on a Saturday night. Sold out in 15 minutes...

Probably going to try the Michelangelo (the two minutes was to get across the street, George!), and reserve the train. A degree of PITA, but it's a 30th anniversary (rounded to the nearest weekend). And she's earned it!

(We booked a Studio. Looks like a pretty nice room!)

• Like 2

Have you been to Ellen’s stardust dinner ? It’s scheduled to reopen this fall , lots of fun , open all day , with out of work Broadway singers as waiters who break out in song every 15 mins or so , basic dinner food with drinks , just one block away on broadway at 51st , often a line to get in. 
 Rooms are really large we got free upgrade to suite several times , then just booked suites.

Edited by George C

6 hours ago, George C said:

Have you been to Ellen’s stardust dinner ? It’s scheduled to reopen this fall * * *

In the late 1980s I would go to Ellen's Café at the corner of Broadway and Chambers Street, right across the street from the northwest corner of city hall. It was a decent diner-type restaurant on the home turf of many of the political power players who dominated in that part of lower Manhattan. Filled with many carcards form prior years advertising "Miss Subways" (a title that had once been worn by Ellen Hart Sturm herself in 1959). Now a Chase bank branch. I have not been to her new incarnation on Times Square, but my understanding is that, unlike the old place that catered to New Yorkers, it is now primarily a tourist hangout. Probably fun for some, but I do miss the old place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

Have you been to Ellen’s stardust dinner ? It’s scheduled to reopen this fall , lots of fun , open all day , with out of work Broadway singers as waiters who break out in song every 15 mins or so , basic dinner food with drinks , just one block away on broadway at 51st , often a line to get in. 
 Rooms are really large we got free upgrade to suite several times , then just booked suites.

Haven't been there, George. We may check it out one of these trips. This one is probably an up and back. First time in the city since February of 2020...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markeb said:

Haven't been there, George. We may check it out one of these trips. This one is probably an up and back. First time in the city since February of 2020...

Your lucky our last trip was May 2019 , by the way Studio rooms are very nice and that’s the room we had when we got complementary upgrades to suites. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:12 PM, markeb said:

if all goes well, we’re planning on heading to Manhattan by Amtrak in October.

markeb, We are considering Amtrak for a cruise from Manhattan in July 2022 from DC or BWI; Family of 3. Anything we should consider when making this choice? Luggage? etc. Thanks exploring options.

Edited by dewb5359
added text

1 hour ago, dewb5359 said:

markeb, We are considering Amtrak for a cruise from Manhattan in July 2022 from DC or BWI; Family of 3. Anything we should consider when making this choice? Luggage? etc. Thanks exploring options.

Don't know where you are in Baltimore. Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind is that many Northeast Corridor trains, certainly the Acela, but also the Regionals, originate in DC. Depending on when you buy tickets, the NE Regional can be much less expensive than the Acela, and typically only takes an extra 30 minutes or so from DC to New York Penn. 

The biggest difference, since you're asking about luggage, is there's luggage assistance (Red Caps) if needed in DC, but not at BWI. So that's something to keep in mind. Parking is probably more expensive at Union Station. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewb5359 said:

We are considering Amtrak for a cruise from Manhattan * * * Anything we should consider when making this choice? Luggage? etc.

Overall, there is not much to consider. As to baggage, it there is an excessive amount you might want to check it in advance (the day before travel). There are few trains between Washington and New York with checked baggage service, so it would be unlikely to be traveling on the same train as you . . . by checking in advance it will be waiting for you on arrival (otherwise you might have to wait for the arrival of a later train with baggage cars). But otherwise just carry your baggage on board (at BWI there is no checked baggage at all). Free baggage allowance for three passengers is: 6 checked bags, plus 6 carry-on bags, plus 6 personal items. Any other concerns?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

overall, there is not much to consider. As to baggage, it there is an excessive amount you might want to check it in advance (the day before travel). There are few trains between Washington and New York with checked baggage service, so it would be unlikely to be traveling on the same train as you . . . by checking in advance it will be waiting for you on arrival (otherwise you might have to wait for the arrival of a later train with baggage cars). But otherwise just carry your baggage on board (at BWI there is no checked baggage at all). Free baggage allowance for three passengers is: 6 checked bags, plus 6 carry-on bags, plus 6 personal items. Any other concerns?

Sounds good, I don't expect between the 3 of us to have more than 4 pieces of baggage. We are in PG County south the National Harbor; I was thinking out BWI due to familiarity of the area and parking. I'll have to see what parking is like in DC. I like the Amtrak option in lieu of driving to Manhattan. Thanks! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dewb5359 said:

Sounds good, I don't expect between the 3 of us to have more than 4 pieces of baggage. We are in PG County south the National Harbor; I was thinking out BWI due to familiarity of the area and parking. I'll have to see what parking is like in DC. I like the Amtrak option in lieu of driving to Manhattan. Thanks! 

Northeast Regional Amtrak makes sense for cruising from NY - in addition to avoiding I-95 driving, I’d prefer paying the fare to the parking - especially for a longer cruise.   The further in advance you book, the better the price is likely to be.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop. We just got back to Virginia from the weekend. We did stay at the Michelangelo, which had just reopened the day we arrived (unknown to us until we arrived!). Lovely hotel, but the lounge, restaurant, etc., were all still closed. But a there's a a nice bodega across 7th Ave, and it took less than two minutes to get to Le Bernardin for dinner.

Midtown felt strangely empty. A lot of empty store fronts on Madison. Just different. On the other hand, we were happy to see a lot of familiar faces at Le Bernardin. Don't know them by name, but I recognized the faces, even with the masks. 

The Moynihan Train Hall is incredible! Wow! A lot still isn't open (there's only a Starbucks, for instance), but it's so different from the old Penn Station. 

Have to get back to town to catch a show on Broadway. 

• Like 2

Majority of offices in NYC still remote. Also lots of midtown used to be filled with European and Asian tourists. Once the tourists and office workers start coming back those shops and sidewalks will be crowded again. I think mid Nov it will start opening up to Europe. Glad you had a great trip. 

Edited by Got2Cruise