MSC fly cruise mistake

marielco

I checked the flight MSC has me booked on to return home at end of cruise on 17th September. I found the airline has not had this flight on its schedule for some time.  Contacted MSC to check what flight I am now booked on. They had no idea but said they would ring me back within 30 minutes and let me know. That was Friday - no call.  The airline told me they would have informed MSC of the schedule cancellation and offered alternative flight - but when I rang it appeared to be news to them.  

In case any other Irish cruiser on here booked to fly from Barcelona to Dublin 23.00 flight EI I565 you need to check it out. 

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Just checked out our flights on Aer Lingus website and EI 565 is showing for our return at 20.40 in October.

Glad your flight is ok.  Don’t know why that flight seems to be dropped off the schedule in Aug/Sep.  Maybe it will be reinstated, I hope so. The only other Aer Lingus flight on my return date departs Barcelona 11am Which would be tight timing with covid checks etc,.

• Like 1

Don't know about your laws, but within DE, it's (in case you have a good lawyer) easy.

Give them a reasonable timeline by fax(proof of delivery) to book new flight, if they don't, do it by yourself and forward them the cost ...

9 hours ago, marielco said:

Glad your flight is ok.  Don’t know why that flight seems to be dropped off the schedule in Aug/Sep.  Maybe it will be reinstated, I hope so. The only other Aer Lingus flight on my return date departs Barcelona 11am Which would be tight timing with covid checks etc,.

Hopefully it’ll be re-instated.  There may not have been any demand for that particular flight.  It’s always almost made up of people coming off cruises.

The morning one is not doable.  You’d have to be in the airport at least 2 hours beforehand - even earlier now with all the checks.

I’d email them @ mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk and put “Urgent” in the subject line.  They may take a few days to respond, but you’ll get a written response, which will be far better than someone telling you something over the phone who, may or may not know what they’re talking about lol. 

10 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hopefully it’ll be re-instated.  There may not have been any demand for that particular flight.  It’s always almost made up of people coming off cruises.

The morning one is not doable.  You’d have to be in the airport at least 2 hours beforehand - even earlier now with all the checks.

I’d email them @ mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk and put “Urgent” in the subject line.  They may take a few days to respond, but you’ll get a written response, which will be far better than someone telling you something over the phone who, may or may not know what they’re talking about lol. 

Many thanks for the e mail addy.  I will do that.

Update: Spent another hour on the 'phone with MSC.  Eventually they agreed the flight they have me booked on is not scheduled to fly.  They told me that I will have to wait until I get my tickets sent with my cruise documents to find out what flight I am being put on to get home.  I was told before I booked with MSC how incompetent they were but I didn't think they could be this bad.  Websites that don't work, apps that don't work, telephone help support that is almost impossible to access and when you do they contradict each other or don't know what's happening.  This is my first and very probably my last MSC cruise.  

In fairness, it’s not MSC’s fault that Aer Lingus has pulled that flight, and they’re probably having to negotiate alternative arrangements.

I do accept that communication was non-existent but they were probably holding off til they had the situation sorted. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

Problem was the staff members on the phone just would not believe the flight was cancelled.  I was reassured over and over that I should check my booking confirmation as it showed it was booked.  Two different customer service people told me they had checked with their flight department and there was no problem with the flight.  Eventually I asked them to look at the Aer Lingus website where they would see I was not imagining it.  This finally convinced them and they then checked with their flight people who this time agreed (!)  I have cruised multiple times with Royal Carribean and Norwegian and never encountered the IT communications problems or uninformed help staff I see with MSC.  Still looking forward to my cruise but this line is definitely let down by its pre cruise systems. 

21 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

@marielco   Has your flight situation been sorted?

@Beamafar on my last call to MSC the call center person agreed, on checking, that there was no flight and transferred me to someone more senior who he said could help. The senior MSC rep assured me there was nothing to worry about a new booking would be made and everything would be fine.  I have since received an updated booking confirmation which shows the exact same flight!  No change!    I have given up on it.   Next week I receive my tickets and all I can do is wait and see what happens next.  There is no point in further calls to MSC they will say it’s fine or it’s being changed and I no longer know if the answers are fact or fiction. 

• Like 1

I received my tickets yesterday from MSC. The Flight Voucher still shows me returning Barcelona - Dublin on EI 565 on 17th September -  a flight that Aer Lingus has confirmed to me is not on their schedule.  MSC have issued this flight ticket despite many phone calls and e mails by me alerting MSC to the fact this flight has been cancelled. I have never come across a more incompetent company!

• Like 1

Unbelievable!  Unfortunately I can’t say what I’d like to here or I’ll be banned!

I’d been looking forward to hearing that your cruise tickets were issued, but this has spoiled it.  I’m so sorry for your predicament. 

I’ll have to keep an eye on the airline’s site to ensure our flights are scheduled.  Obviously can’t trust what MSC issues.  🙄

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, marielco said:

I received my tickets yesterday from MSC. The Flight Voucher still shows me returning Barcelona - Dublin on EI 565 on 17th September -  a flight that Aer Lingus has confirmed to me is not on their schedule.  MSC have issued this flight ticket despite many phone calls and e mails by me alerting MSC to the fact this flight has been cancelled. I have never come across a more incompetent company!

As MSC are a member of ABTA you could try getting in touch with them to see if they can help you with this issue. Once again the Left Hand does not know what the Right Hand is doing.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.  We probably could make the 11am flight but MSC would need to acknowledge the one they have us booked on is not scheduled to fly and then make the booking.  We could book it ourselves but as we have already paid MSC to arrange flight home I don’t want to pay twice.  

ABTA is an option if things are not sorted in the next few days. 

• Like 1

FINALLY, FINALLY after weeks of phone calls with various MSC customer representatives (including “escalation” to senior staff) and e mails telling them the flight they claimed we were  booked on was cancelled and being fobbed off with assurances all was well - we have got a new booking!

Our return flight is now with Ryanair - no apology, no explanation for the constant denials there was a problem with the Aer Lingus flight.  

No matter how good the onboard experience is I will be very, very reluctant to go through this again. 

Edited by marielco
  • Like 1

I made sure to check the luggage allowance booked and it is 20k as I know the allowance on Ryanair is less than Aer Lingus and costs to upgrade. Of course I have to rely on what I’m told they booked Lol nothing would surprise me at this stage.  

I do hope MSC have now checked if they had any other Irish passengers booked on the cancelled Aer Lingus flight and have transferred them too. 

Thanks for the support Bea through the struggle to get heard. 

• Like 1

Thursday (day before cruise) rang MSC to ensure our ship transfer from airport would pick us up as flight change meant arrival different time, different terminal.  Assured all changes made, there would be no problem 

Flew into Barcelona yesterday morning - true to MSC form NO TRANSPORT TO SHIP - walked to other terminal - not there either. Rang the “emergency”number on the transport voucher” told number “not in service”. Had to take taxi!

Spent an hour at Guest services on ship trying to get refund.  Later in day, after they contacted HQ, refund allowed…… never again. 

Well the saga continues. Today we disembarked in Barcelona  Yesterday we went to guest services just to ensure no repeat of our lack of transport on arrival. 
long time waiting while checks made.  Then assurances we were booked on transport to airport and we were even given our luggage tags etc.  This morning  got off on time with the group and headed to the bus. At bus  MSC rep said our name not on her list -we could not get on the airport bus!!  Were we surprised - with our MSC experience so far - sadly not.

Had we got a voucher? Yes, what was our cabin number? We would have to wait. A number of phone calls later and after watching bus depart a second bus called up.  We could get on with about 10 others who seemed to have same problem.  No apology!! No, no never again.