When will booster vaccine be required?

dolphfan

8 months after your last vaccination.  You should be able to get them from any local pharmacy.

I doubt that the cruise lines will "require" the booster shot.  It would be much too hard to monitor.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dolphfan said:

We are booked for January and will be beyond the CDC stated efficacy range of our vaccines. Will we then be required to get a booster? Does anyone have any ideas?

I guess I need to consult my crystal ball. 🙂  One thing is likely:  if the CDC recommends them, the cruise lines will likely follow.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

8 months after your last vaccination.  You should be able to get them from any local pharmacy.

I doubt that the cruise lines will "require" the booster shot.  It would be much too hard to monitor.

Why would it be hard to monitor?  The booster info will be right there on vaccination card, same as shots 1 and 2.  And if the date of shot 2 is within 8 months of disembarkation day, no need for the booster.  Seems simple to me. 

• Like 7

So far for those that received the Pfizer vaccine the recommendation will be 8 to 12 months after your 2nd shot. Moderna is expected to be the same. J&J data not yet available.

You should get your booster according to the medical recommendations to protect yourself and those around you. I don't think cruise lines have any additional information, and will wait to see how the situation develops. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I disagree.  It would be no harder than monitoring the second shot.  If you have a CDC card you'll take it in and they'll write in the third shot (there is a blank spot for it).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, clueless2 said:

I disagree.  It would be no harder than monitoring the second shot.  If you have a CDC card you'll take it in and they'll write in the third shot (there is a blank spot for it).

You can count on the cruiselines enforcing this as some studies as seen the efficacy going down below 50% stretching out past 8 months.  All they need to check is the person has at least 2 vaccines and the last is within the last 8 months.   (need to take into account those people who decided to get vaccines later in the year)

That is based on the assumption they will require people to be fully vaccinated prior to cruising. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:16 AM, tert333 said:

That is based on the assumption they will require people to be fully vaccinated prior to cruising. 

So far there is no indication that the CDC & FDA will require a booster shot in order to be considered fully vaccinated. Thus, no cruise will would require a booster shot in order to cruise.

Additionally, the authorization to receive a booster shot is not there in most other countries. Thus if a cruise line required a booster shot, then many currently booked who do not live in the USA and thus cannot possibly get a booster shot would not be able to cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caribill said:

So far there is no indication that the CDC & FDA will require a booster shot in order to be considered fully vaccinated. Thus, no cruise will would require a booster shot in order to cruise.

Additionally, the authorization to receive a booster shot is not there in most other countries. Thus if a cruise line required a booster shot, then many currently booked who do not live in the USA and thus cannot possibly get a booster shot would not be able to cruise.

Booster shots, I believe, will become the norm in all countries over time. The best thing any anyone can do to protect themselves and those around is to get the booster shot within the recommended time frame. It's not possible now for the cruise lines to make any determinations regarding how they will handle booster shots. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, skynight said:

Booster shots, I believe, will become the norm in all countries over time. The best thing any anyone can do to protect themselves and those around is to get the booster shot within the recommended time frame. It's not possible now for the cruise lines to make any determinations regarding how they will handle booster shots. 

Besides the time  frame of 8 months, don't you also have to meet other requirements such as compromised immune system and other medical issues?

It could depend on where you are cruising to, some European countries have already started to request them.

"Austria and Croatia have each introduced a 270-day maximum validity time limit on vaccinations,  other countries may soon follow suit.

Travelers attempting to enter Austria or Croatia will no longer be considered fully vaccinated if more than 270 days have passed since their last shot. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

Besides the time  frame of 8 months, don't you also have to meet other requirements such as compromised immune system and other medical issues?

No. That is the requirement for getting a booster now,  before the upcoming FDA booster authorization for everyone currently eligible to get the vaccine.

• Like 2

My husband is Imuno compromised. His Dr. told him yesterday to get the booster as soon as he can.

He  had second vaccine shot  6 months ago. I went on line to set an appt and had to put in date of last shot. And the 6 month ago date was fine.We are going tomorrow.

• Like 4

Most recent recommendation by the FDA is that those individuals who have had a vaccine at least six months ago will be eligible to receive a vaccination starting at the end of September.  This currently will hold true for Pfizer with approval for Moderna and J&J shortly thereafter.

Individuals with immunodeficiency can get a Booster at this time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Most recent recommendation by the FDA is that those individuals who have had a vaccine at least six months ago will be eligible to receive a vaccination starting at the end of September.  This currently will hold true for Pfizer with approval for Moderna and J&J shortly thereafter.

Individuals with immunodeficiency can get a Booster at this time. 

Do you have some sort of citation that the Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be shortly after? Nothing I have seen confirms this.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

We received the "booster," or 3rd Pfizer (its not being called a "booster") at CVS two days ago which is 7 months after the 2nd inoculation in January.  Added to the CDC card record.  Easy to confirm.  With the Delta variant I would expect the 3rd shot become a requirement for "fully vaccinated."

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, san diego sue said:

My husband is Imuno compromised. His Dr. told him yesterday to get the booster as soon as he can.

He  had second vaccine shot  6 months ago. I went on line to set an appt and had to put in date of last shot. And the 6 month ago date was fine.We are going tomorrow.

That's interesting.

I had assumed I would need some sort of order from my doctor to get the third shot before eight months...

Sitting in 15 minute observation area right now after getting booster 5 months after second vaccine at the recommendation of my physician. In our state it’s available to anyone over 70 if it’s been at least 28 days after second dose or at physician’s recommendation, but recommended starting six months after the second dose. 

• Like 3

We had no side effects after number 3 except the sore arm for 24 hours.The information is put on your vaccination card. People need to ask their physicians on when to get the vaccine. When my husbands Dr. said ASAP we listened.Guidelines on how long to wait keep changing daily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

We had no side effects after number 3 except the sore arm for 24 hours.The information is put on your vaccination card. People need to ask their physicians on when to get the vaccine. When my husbands Dr. said ASAP we listened.Guidelines on how long to wait keep changing daily.

We are in So Cal and I am wondering where you got your booster.  Our local pharmacy said they are not yet available to anyone that is not considered immuno compromised due to cancer treatments, etc.  

16 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

We are in So Cal and I am wondering where you got your booster.  Our local pharmacy said they are not yet available to anyone that is not considered immuno compromised due to cancer treatments, etc.  

So far Alabama hasn't said anything about when the booster might be available here, where to get it or who will be the first to be eligible for it.  Betting they follow the CDC guidelines for the booster.

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Sitting in 15 minute observation area right now after getting booster 5 months after second vaccine at the recommendation of my physician. In our state it’s available to anyone over 70 if it’s been at least 28 days after second dose or at physician’s recommendation, but recommended starting six months after the second dose. 

It’s crazy all the different opinions out there. Don’t even know what to believe anymore. My doctor said absolutely do not need a booster at this time and to wait

It will depend upon when the data shows that the original vaccine loses efficacy. At this time the data shows vaccines losing some efficacy around 5 to 6 months, and that a booster considerable increases efficacy against Delta, but the original al vaccines still show good efficacy.

Once the data shows how long after the original vaccinations the efficacy drops below acceptable level for most people, that will determine when and if there is a change to the fully vaccinated status and boosters will be required.