How much per person, per day for Retreat?

JamieLogical

Isn't this more what you feel comfortable paying for on the room.  I looked at suites and know I wont use most of the features etc, Room is for sleep and store clothes to me, that's about it so I dont feel the need to pay for suites.  I go by the total for a cruise 250 pp per night area, this includes everything factored in, from flights, hotels etc.  I have been able to do this on all my cruises except one years ago, over 17, not many but enough overall, All my rooms have been concierge or aqua on celebrity with that total.  

22 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am curious to know how much people are generally willing or recommend to pay per person, per day to upgrade to the Retreat over a normal Veranda cabin?

I am curious to know how much you are willing to pay to upgrade.  What is $$ outrageous to one is OK to another.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those who can afford this accommodation don’t think of the cost per day, since it’s in an entirely different and very expensive experience.  Most folks are not in a position to say “should we do a regular balcony or book Retreat”.  Either you can afford it or you can’t.  Most of us can’t.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Those who can afford this accommodation don’t think of the cost per day, since it’s in an entirely different and very expensive experience.  Most folks are not in a position to say “should we do a regular balcony or book Retreat”.  Either you can afford it or you can’t.  Most of us can’t.

Some of us can afford it but don't think it's worth the cost, not by a long shot. Did a Sky suite, on the Equinox once, just to see what all the hype was. Really nice but not worth the difference in cost versus a balcony.

• Like 8

I never even calculated the $$ per day.  If I have the funds I book what I want.  If I can't afford a suite I will probably pass on the cruise.  We typically will only cruise once a year because we don't want to impose on our cat care giver to often.  Next year is an exception but we missed 2 years worth of cruises.

• Like 3

It's kind of a loaded question. "Retreat" can be anything from an S3 to an Iconic Suite ($6,000 to $60,000+ for a week). Edge class suites are priced quite a bit higher. As a very rough estimate, for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on an Edge class ship I would plan on about $3k/pp for a Sky Suite. Slightly less for S class. On Edge class if you were on the fence between Aqua and a Sky Suite, it's a tiny bit less of a stretch since you're getting at least $600OBC, Premium Drinks and Streaming internet (very roughly a ~$900 value) included with the Sky Suite.

I'm sure people will chime in and say they only sail suites if they can meet $x,xxx pp/pd but generally speaking, you are a suite cruiser or you are not. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

We grabbed a suite for our next celebrity cruise.  Hoping that the retreat is as good as the Haven or Yacht Club.  We look for lower priced sailings, and make that work.

I personally think that Celebrity will always be a step up from either NCL or MSC, regardless of cabin choice.  

• Like 1

We sail on Edge this Saturday.  The minimum move up bid for us from a SV to a SS was $1000 per person.  We bid $1060 and did not get it.  It's doubtful we will since now all the SS are sold.  We still have our fingers crossed though for a last minute cancelation and an upgrade at the pier!

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I personally think that Celebrity will always be a step up from either NCL or MSC, regardless of cabin choice.  

The food on Celebrity is generally better. However, the seclusion is very nice in the Haven and Yacht Club.  I wouldn't thumb my nose at any of those 3 cruise lines in their Suite Categories. 

The reason I asked the question is that I have the opportunity to upgrade from a Veranda stateroom on my upcoming 5-Day Summit sailing. It seems like a good deal because I am sailing solo, but they aren't charging the full solo supplement even in the suite classes. So, currently I can upgrade to a sky suite for an additional $1091.60. That comes with the Premium Beverage package, which I would definitely be paying to upgrade to anyway for $60 and $400 in OBC. So in real, out of pocket cost, it would be $631.60 to upgrade, which works out to $126.32 per day. So, the real question is, do you find Luminae, the Retreat Lounge, the Retreat sun deck, and the added service you get in the Retreat to be worth an extra $126.32 per day?

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

The reason I asked the question is that I have the opportunity to upgrade from a Veranda stateroom on my upcoming 5-Day Summit sailing. It seems like a good deal because I am sailing solo, but they aren't charging the full solo supplement even in the suite classes. So, currently I can upgrade to a sky suite for an additional $1091.60. That comes with the Premium Beverage package, which I would definitely be paying to upgrade to anyway for $60 and $400 in OBC. So in real, out of pocket cost, it would be $631.60 to upgrade, which works out to $126.32 per day. So, the real question is, do you find Luminae, the Retreat Lounge, the Retreat sun deck, and the added service you get in the Retreat to be worth an extra $126.32 per day?

for that price I think it would be worth it overall.  Plus the easier check in on the ship.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

If $632 is not going to force you to eat cat food for the next year, go for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

If $632 is not going to force you to eat cat food for the next year, go for it.

Ha! Definitely not. But I did not get into the position of being able to afford an extra $632 by wasting money on things that weren't worth it. I still always weigh whether I am getting the full *value* out of the money I spend.

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Ha! Definitely not. But I did not get into the position of being able to afford an extra $632 by wasting money on things that weren't worth it. I still always weigh whether I am getting the full *value* out of the money I spend.

Only you can determine value.  I personally like being in a suite, getting the secluded pool and all, but that is me.

• Like 2

The cat food comment made me laugh..

Jamie, I would investigate the “ retreat amenities” offered on the ship you are sailing on…they vary somewhat on non Edge class ships.

Does the suite only restaurant have a big appeal to you?  

Larger room, the Butler, etc..

$125 or so bucks a day is probably as inexpensive as you’ll see to try this…I will say that. 

Note there is no pool on the Summit Retreat Sun Deck, just a hot tub.   If it's within budget I would suggest giving it a try.   Retreat Lounge on Summit is very nice and would be a place where it would be easy for a solo traveler to meet others if desired.   Often people who meet in the lounge and are having a good time may go to Luminae together.   Service in Luminae if dining alone would be tailored to how much time you wanted to spend at dinner.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Note there is no pool on the Summit Retreat Sun Deck, just a hot tub.   If it's within budget I would suggest giving it a try.   Retreat Lounge on Summit is very nice and would be a place where it would be easy for a solo traveler to meet others if desired.   Often people who meet in the lounge and are having a good time may go to Luminae together.   Service in Luminae if dining alone would be tailored to how much time you wanted to spend at dinner.

Thank you for reminding me of another question I had (though not directly related to the main topic of the thread)! I have only done one solo sailing before, my 7/26 sailing on the Equinox that I just got back from a few weeks ago. On that sailing, I did make several friends by requesting a shared table in the MDR at dinner. Is that even an option in Luminae or are the so few suite passengers that shared tables aren't really a thing there?