How much per person, per day for Retreat?

JamieLogical

3 hours ago, cricketts said:

We sail on Edge this Saturday.  The minimum move up bid for us from a SV to a SS was $1000 per person.  We bid $1060 and did not get it.  It's doubtful we will since now all the SS are sold.  We still have our fingers crossed though for a last minute cancelation and an upgrade at the pier!

This actually surprises me that you didn’t get it. SV are highly sought out cabins due to the traditional balcony. I would think X would upgrade you to free up a SV cabin which would be sold in hours. 

We sailed in a Sky Suite on the Summit in July. I would say the main benefit will be the ability to eat in either Luminae or Blu (we had no problem switching back and forth), and the service you would receive.  The staff in the Retreat on the Summit was exceptional - they will pamper you like crazy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lizinindy said:

Love the suite experience but it’s a different game on the Edge class ships. They were built with the retreat in mind. The S class retrofit retreat areas aren’t the same…lovely, but a little less than the Edge class.

I agree having the swimming pool area is nice, but for entire suite experience I will give a slight edge to MSC yacht club , suite lounge is so much nicer than celebrity retreat. But I give a edge to celebrity for suite restaurant.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You said you were in a regular veranda stateroom.  On "M" class ships these rooms are 168 sq ft which is over 20 sq ft smaller than what you had on Equinox where all veranda staterooms are the same size.  On M class only Concierge Class and Aqua Class are pretty much the same size as the veranda on Equinox.

I was hoping you were on the 10/4 as the solo price is better and there are a couple of sought after S1 cabins available for $1998 solo.

I am on the 10/04 Summit sailing. We got a great deal on a royal suite so decided to go for it. There is a roll call for that cruise if your friend is interested. 

We really enjoy meeting new people on cruises but I had never considered the problem solo cruisers might have if they want to meet people by dining with them if they are in a suite and using Luminae. I am considering letting the maitre d know we'd be happy to have someone join us if there are solo suite travelers.

Edited by Cdresser
  • Like 3

If you can upgrade for a little more than $120 a day I'd say do it.

We can afford suites but we choose not to.  We booked an Aqua cabin on Equinox and really liked it.  Just the right space so we've booked one on the Infinity, aft cabin in 2022.  But we are thinking to repeat our NCL South American cruise in 2023 on the Infinity and for that we are debating whether to book a suite, if we can find one midships.  I believe there are some.  I looked at prices for 2022 and it looks like the cheapest suite is double the price of an Aqua cabin.  So we are waiting until we can see prices for 2023 and then we will decide.

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Well, it's a done deal! Just got off the phone with my Vacation Planner and paid the extra for the upgrade! Will post a full review when I get back. Thank you all for your input!

You will have streaming internet and therefore CC will load properly. Maybe you can do a live review now 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

That's the question I was asking. I don't know yet, because I haven't experienced them. 😋

Only one way to find out--go for it.  You'll probably not find a better pricing deal.  In general, suites have gotten very expensive.  Particularly if one sails solo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, George C said:

I agree having the swimming pool area is nice, but for entire suite experience I will give a slight edge to MSC yacht club , suite lounge is so much nicer than celebrity retreat. But I give a edge to celebrity for suite restaurant.

There is no swimming pool for suites on the Summit.  There is the thalasotherapy pool, which is generally not crowded.  I agree, MSC Yacht Club has a much better pool deck and suite lounge.  Celebrity has the better suite restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanaPam00 said:

We sailed in a Sky Suite on the Summit in July. I would say the main benefit will be the ability to eat in either Luminae or Blu (we had no problem switching back and forth), and the service you would receive.  The staff in the Retreat on the Summit was exceptional - they will pamper you like crazy!

I totally agree. Connie, Sylvia and Daniel couldn’t do enough to make our cruise spectacular.

1 hour ago, Cdresser said:

I am on the 10/04 Summit sailing. We got a great deal on a royal suite so decided to go for it. There is a roll call for that cruise if your friend is interested. 

We really enjoy meeting new people on cruises but I had never considered the problem solo cruisers might have if they want to meet people by dining with them if they are in a suite and using Luminae. I am considering letting the maitre d know we'd be happy to have someone join us if there are solo suite travelers.

We normally invite those interested from roll call for a tour on suite and have butler get some snacks. Love the royal suite will be in it in February on summit, last time we were in a rock and romance charter and you would see the musicians chatting with the guests . 

I upgraded our Silhouette Aqua cabin to a SV SS for approx $1300 each for a 9 night UK cruise next month. All the benefits and $600 obc too thus a great deal. First time in a suite😀. Surprise for DW so hope she likes it. Mind I upgraded a flight to Business class a few years ago and she now refuses to travel economy😢

Was looking at the Apex Israel cruise Sept 22. Wanted to have a verandah at £2400 but no select dining thus a refusal from DW. She is iffy about the Infinity Balcony too. This was forcing me to consider a Sky Suite again for a balcony and anytime dining (plus all the perks). But for an extra £3k would be too steep. I love Any Celebrity cruise and could have another two weeks for that. 

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Ha! Definitely not. But I did not get into the position of being able to afford an extra $632 by wasting money on things that weren't worth it. I still always weigh whether I am getting the full *value* out of the money I spend.

We have cruised over 40 times on various lines doing all kinds of different itineraries from inside up to a Sky Suite.  We don't have kids and spend the majority of our disposable income on travel, mostly cruising.  We have sailed in a suite 3 times.  Do we have to cruise in a Suite, absolutely not, but it was a true treat that we immensely enjoyed each time.  For the right price we would upgrade again.  If I could upgrade from a veranda to SS for effectively $632.00, I personally would do it in an instant if I had the extra funds.  

3 hours ago, George C said:

I guess the trade off is the seclusion vs the better food.  I'm not a foodie, so I like the seclusion.  Looking forward to the Celebrity Suite treatment tho.

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Thanks for the input everyone! I do think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on it. I don't know if I will have an opportunity to try the Retreat again so cheaply and after this I will be able to judge for myself whether the price difference is justified.

Jamie, we sail sky suites mostly, and if we knew of a single in Luminae we'd absolutely invite them (you) to join us.   We have met people before and have gone to dinner together.  We sail just as a couple but love to meet people and share a meal or a drink or an excursion or all of the above.  There's no problem arriving normally as a 'table for 2' and the next night showing up 'table for 3'.   I hope you have a fabulous cruise and come back to tell us all about it.  We don't sail until next June so I'm getting all the scoop reading on here.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Some of us can afford it but don't think it's worth the cost, not by a long shot. Did a Sky suite, on the Equinox once, just to see what all the hype was. Really nice but not worth the difference in cost versus a balcony.

Felt the same about aqua class and concierge class.  A regular veranda is ok.  Even Oceanview can be good.   While they include some good benefits, you pay for them.  Book the cabin that works best for you.  Never book a cabin below the level that suits you. Have been in suites.  For me, the extra space is nice. It is not worth spending extra money.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I am curious to know how much you are willing to pay to upgrade.  What is $$ outrageous to one is OK to another.  

I don't mind paying four figures, but this has to include everything.

The current Retreat package doesn't seem to offer total inclusion; when i say inclusion I mean you do NOT see a folio at the end of the cruise. Read the fine print, they are things you still have to pay for. Pfft!  😤 All Included, my butt!

In 2019, I was in a Concierge Class balcony and paid 4700$ for the 7 day W. Carrib cruise. It was my first cruise so I didn't know how I was actually charged. I found out later though:

1. Charged double (200%) for having the audacity to travel alone!
  2. That was not charged by the port (I thought it was pricey because it had four ports)
  3. Had to PAY for the TINY booze bottles and water in my fridge (which they had the nerve to call a "mini bar")
  4. Never considered the time of season, it was summer in June to July

Lesson learned, for the amount I should have upgraded to an actual suite, and found a cruise buddy.

When I did AquaClass on Infinity I was very disappointed at the room (more so the small balcony), that I wish I had upgraded to a Royal or Sky.

Edited by SireDoime
inclusion

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Some of us can afford it but don't think it's worth the cost, not by a long shot. Did a Sky suite, on the Equinox once, just to see what all the hype was. Really nice but not worth the difference in cost versus a balcony.

Totally agree. While Celebrity is a premium, I am learning that true luxury is with the luxury lines like Regent, and the like. Though, a small few say that Regent has been slacking, I'll sail with for the first time in 2022 August, so by then things should be much better.

28 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

The current Retreat package doesn't seem to offer total inclusion; when i say inclusion I mean you do NOT see a folio at the end of the cruise.

@SireDoime

To be fair, traveling solo is a problem on most lines, and Celebrity does have a few cruises where proper solo pricing is available.   That will have been the biggest real part of your extra expense, but surely you knew that going in.

As to the folio...

This will be the first X cruise where we will actually have to WORK to come up with a zero balance at the end of the cruise.  Between the Retreat + AI + what out TA threw into the pot and a crazy $2,820 in Celebrity OBC that has gradually been added for all kinds of reasons across several cancelled cruises (shareholder discount, Retreat, AI, multiple price reductions after final payment, and several others) and that we've been able to hang onto through several re-bookings, it'll be a fun challenge.  Plan to pick up some of the 'attaboy/girl' cards at Guest Relations and use OBC with those for extra tips for any star performers.

In our case, booking a RS for our B2B was a function of a cruise cancelled before COVID even began, being cooped up since March, and wanting to really spread out on this cruise.  Our favorite M class aft corners on 7/8/9 were already sold out when they blew up the last in a series of cruises we'd tried to make (Reflection TA out of Rome this Fall), and we wanted at LEAST that much space - those corners are bigger than any of the Sky Suites and will really spoil a person.  Used to be the most square feet for the $ on any Celebrity ship until they (recently) converted them into suites.  Took them 20 years, but they finally figured out why those cabins never sailed empty!  Might have had something to do with the standard width but 25' deep verandas, too! 

$/day was officially declared irrelevant for this voyage, and we wanted to get in at least one more trip on Constellation.  The M class size just suits us best, kind of Goldilocks style, and we know we'll get great service on any X ship.

We're on a ship that hasn't had the 'full treatment' yet (Constellation, our 8th there), so know there won't be a separate sun deck, pool & etc., but given passenger loads these days, we don't really expect overcrowding to be a problem anywhere.  I'll bet a lot of us look back on the next little while as the 'good old days of cruising where you never once had to search for a deck chair' !!!

We're also still pondering how Luminae will work out since we're not traveling with friends or family this time around.  On cruises where we were traveling as just a pair and eating in the MDR most nights, we'd ask for a 6 or 8 top just to meet some new people, and were almost always rewarded with some great company.  That's back when the small handful of 2 tops available in the MDR were mostly back by the doors to the galley escalators!  I like the idea of trolling for some good conversation in Michael's/Retreat Lounge that might carry through to dinner.  We've met and arranged to have dinner with people there before in specialty restaurants, so I guess we go with that old plan, just more often.

We have high expectations for Luminae on Constellation.  Ocean Liners (and similar solo specialty restaurants as they once were, e.g., S.S. United States on Infinity) were our favorites, especially when we could get a small group together and retreat to the 'wine room' there for dinner.  We're hoping Luminae fills that gap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Felt the same about aqua class and concierge class.  A regular veranda is ok.  Even Oceanview can be good.   While they include some good benefits, you pay for them.  Book the cabin that works best for you.  Never book a cabin below the level that suits you. Have been in suites.  For me, the extra space is nice. It is not worth spending extra money.  

I don't like the buffet/Cafe so I enjoy having breakfast (and dinner) in Blu. (Aqua)

Cool for you @JamieLogical.  I think you'll like it.  BTW, I was able to post live reviews, with pics, using the Streaming WiFi on the Edge.  So, hopefully you find it as useful.

Interestingly on the Retreat Lounge, I had the Concierges constantly asked if they could get me a drink.  Which was something I wasn't used to.  Plus, there are wait staff roaming about ready to get you anything you want.

What was nice about being near the Retreat Concierges was the fact that I could have drinks sitting on a couch, overlooking the water, while having the Concierges plan excursions for me, as just one example.

There was a specific and more traditional Retreat Bar outside, which I frequented quite a bit, too.

Butler offered to help me pack and unpack, which was something I felt weird about and didn't utilize.  But, they'll help. Butler can also get any special requests for you, too.  And, you'll have beer/softdrinks and water in your suite mini bar, too....which the Butler will keep stocked.  She brought mid-day "snacks" for me, which I requested to be almonds, cashews and peanuts instead of finger sandwiches and chips.

She also asked if I wanted sweet snacks.  I did.  But, wouldn't allow her to bring them to me because.....well....I'd eat them if they were there.

There are snacks available in the Retreat itself...in the a.m. and the p.m.  Fruit, finger sandwiches, pastries, etc.

I was a solo, also.  I was seated next to the same couple at my own two top.  But, we carried on conversations like we were at the same table.  I think you'll be fine as you are personable.

Icing on the cake....you got a killer deal.

I think you'll love the pampering the Retreat offers.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

@graphicguy Thanks for all of the info! I was wondering how a butler would fit in. I definitely will unpack and pack my own things! I agree it would feel very weird to have someone do that for me. I will, however, take them up on the sweet treats in my room! I have a strategy when it comes to weight gain on a cruise. I weigh myself the day before I leave, then weigh myself when I get back and however much weight I gain is just the amount of weight I have to lose before my next cruise! I still have about a pound to lose from my Equinox sailing before I leave for the Breakaway on 9/26....

• Like 3

On 8/25/2021 at 2:42 PM, JamieLogical said:

@graphicguy Thanks for all of the info! I was wondering how a butler would fit in. I definitely will unpack and pack my own things! I agree it would feel very weird to have someone do that for me. I will, however, take them up on the sweet treats in my room! I have a strategy when it comes to weight gain on a cruise. I weigh myself the day before I leave, then weigh myself when I get back and however much weight I gain is just the amount of weight I have to lose before my next cruise! I still have about a pound to lose from my Equinox sailing before I leave for the Breakaway on 9/26....

I have loved this debate - one of the best for a long time and no bitching or back biting.

For us it's a no brainer we would never upgrade. Not the price or any of the other perks but the cabin position. When we had 90mph winds and 60 foot waves on Infinty passengers in 3 different suites asked us to swop our inside on deck 3 for their suites. Now we settle for a mid ship balcony never higher than deck 7. Oh yes and on the previously mentioned cruise the sea came in though the doors next to the Sky Lounge 

We sailed our first SS on the Equinox in Jan 2020, and just did a SS on Edge a couple weeks ago. Retreat areas are not even close to comparable, which is to be expected when comparing a retrofit t a designed area. 

We booked them for the amenities but more so for the extra cabin space. Nobody seems to ever mention it but to us it is a deciding factor. I don’t enjoy shuffling past the bed sideways and waiting for my turn if my DW wants to do the same. 

Also enjoy the expanded room service menu. Here are a couple of pictures from

our S2 on Edge —- and we really liked the bed facing the ocean!!! It makes the room even roomier.

The Retreat sun deck was huge, but way too hot for our liking, and the pool had zero shade—- we enjoyed the Solarium much more. 

EA2C6557-6F38-4F77-8C07-42FD834A0216.jpeg

88673615-27B1-4FF2-9847-B446F76BF1DE.jpeg

815B695D-6140-4857-BA15-A3EAB186F868.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1