14-day quarantine in US hotel the real deterrent!

ilovetotravel1977

Here's an important question that I don't see being discussed often by Canadians.  

What if you test positive on your cruise and you have to quarantine in the US at a hotel for 14 days?  Do hotels have an extended stay room rate? How do you get food, retested, etc if you can't leave your room? What day do you retest? Is it the honour system or is your room being manned by a "guard"?

I know Royal is flying infected passengers and parties home, but I think that is only until October 31, not forever.  I haven't heard of any other cruise line doing that. 

Honestly, all this testing doesn't even phase me.  It's the getting stuck in the US that is the real deterrent for me.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

This is exactly what I am trying to figure out.   This is on the HAL website for up to 31 Dec 2021.   I am on 17 day cruise.   My concern is that I test positive just before the ship disembarks.   Do we get taken straight to a hotel for a quarantine period at their expense?    Or will I be footing the bill?

55A7EAA6-BD5B-4114-BC56-447AFA8B1395.png

AA4BFE91-0919-4997-A23E-246C448923E8.jpeg

Another thought:  If the cruise line doesn't arrange for a hotel, what hotel will take you?  Many hotels are now asking your covid health status.  Does that mean they will reject you staying if you are covid positive?  

know of a fully vaxx traveler (not cruiser) who tested positive and now is stuck in Mexico till she gets a negative test to fly home.

Edited by ehogan
Add. Info
  • Like 1

@EvilmuffinDoes HAL test you AT the port before boarding? Or do they require you bring a test with you?

The testing before boarding doesn't concern me as I would already need a test to fly to the US and bring a test with me to get on the ship. You would already know if you can get on the ships or not. 

It's all on the other end.

@ilovetotravel1977   From my understanding, HAL is provided tests pre boarding in Greece but not in the US, you have to bring one.   I have spoken to my PCC regarding this and I should be able to get one here in Ontario, catch the plane and still make it to the ship with the same test. (Obivously as long as it’s negative).   Right now, for both the US Border and HAL, an antigen test would suffice.   However, who knows what will happen in the future as it changes all the time.    

17 hours ago, ehogan said:

Another thought:  If the cruise line doesn't arrange for a hotel, what hotel will take you?  Many hotels are now asking your covid health status.  Does that mean they will reject you staying if you are covid positive?  

This kills me. Are you able to see all the covid and vax records for the hotel staff??? It's a two way street with this virus, unless of course everyone wears full PPE, and all surfaces have been Virox'd.

• Like 1

We have also put cruising on hold until 2022 at the earliest. Too much hassle. We are booked for an AI in the DR over New Years. It is fully refundable for any reason right up until the last minute so if we are still required to have a PCR test in order to return to Canada we will likely end up cancelling the AI. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm staying in Canada for the foreseeable future until things return to normal although I do have three cruises booked for 2022/2023.   We leave next week for the Rocky Mountaineer.  I'm supporting Canadian tourism until international travel is safe and somewhat easy.

We are staying in Canada as well this year. Have spent 2 weeks at a resort and 4 days in Niagara on the Lake. Hopefully our cruising will resume in 2022 (20 days in March and 28 in the fall booked). We just moved another cancelled cruise to May 2023.

• Like 1

We are not considering any US travel. 

At the moment we are watching Greece for October (doubtful), Mexico for Nov/Dec and winter, and Panama/Costa Rica for Jan/Feb.

IF we go, it will be a last minute flight booked a week or so at the most prior to departure.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

We've a March 2022 cruise on the books and will wait until final payment to make a decision. We have a terrific price thanks to L&S, plus a substantial FCC that has to be used, so the decision won't be easy should things not start improving in Florida.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm staying in Canada for the foreseeable future until things return to normal although I do have three cruises booked for 2022/2023.   We leave next week for the Rocky Mountaineer.  I'm supporting Canadian tourism until international travel is safe and somewhat easy.

I WANT TO GO ON THE MOUNTAINEER!!!!

It's one of the things on my bucket list. 

We're renting a cottage for a family Thanksgiving-week getaway in Eastern Ontario in October and if we have to cancel the AI at New Years, I'll be lobbying Mrs. Dawg to do Ottawa and Montreal. I have never skated on the canal in Ottawa and it's been too long since we have been to old Montreal. Also, being from the GTA, it's been way too long since we have had a chance to cheer for a real NHL hockey team in person! (I love my Leafs ..... but we're talking about the Habs here!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

We're renting a cottage for a family Thanksgiving-week getaway in Eastern Ontario in October and if we have to cancel the AI at New Years, I'll be lobbying Mrs. Dawg to do Ottawa and Montreal. I have never skated on the canal in Ottawa and it's been too long since we have been to old Montreal. Also, being from the GTA, it's been way too long since we have had a chance to cheer for a real NHL hockey team in person! (I love my Leafs ..... but we're talking about the Habs here!)

It's a bucket list item for us, too.  And they have a sweet deal for AB and BC residents who book a 2021 trip.  Only issue will be smoke and fires in BC but we're still looking forward to it.  The time is right for this trip; I've been on their mailing list for years...

Count us among those who have decided to stay in Canada this year, but we have 3 cruises booked for 2022, and I am already looking for 2023. We are doing a tour of BC, ending in Edmonton, Alberta, and it includes 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer. Decided to treat ourselves and go for Gold Leaf service. This has always been on my list. Smoke, and wearing a mask on planes, trains and buses has not deterred me yet, and we are scheduled to leave one month from today. Skating on the Rideau Canal and getting a "beaver tail" is also something I'm going to do, perhaps this winter. Supporting Canadian tourism is fun!

• Like 1

I am booked on two back to back cruises this year, 10 day Panama Canal 5 - 15 Dec, and the 7 day Tropical Caribbean 15 - 22 Dec.   Same ship, the Eurodam and hoping to be in the same cabin.  Since I booked the 7 day months after the first one was booked, the cabin is already spoken for.   But I’m on a waiting list incase they cancel.     If I have understood the HAL policy that is in effect, they will arrange and pay for the 14 day Quarantine period if required plus change my flight.  Since I am retired, it really doesn’t matter if I have to quarantine.   Obviously I hope this won’t be an issue anyways.    

We're doing both.  Next week we head to Bahamas for a B2B on the Adventure, then we are looking for a resort in Cancun and then another cruise in Feb out of Barbados. 

Rocky mountaineer is on our bucket list.  Read somewhere that the same company is offering a trip in Utah or Colorado.

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Come to Ottawa! It is beautiful in wintertime and yes skating on the canal is a bucket list item.

• Like 2

Add us to the "stay in Canada this year" group!  As much as I'd love to cruise right now, there's just way too many hoops to jump through to enjoy a stress-free vacation.  We're booked on Odyssey B2B in October 2022 (Holy Land/Greece & Transatlantic from Rome to Fort Lauderdale) so hopefully we'll be on her when she sails.   

Depending on the covid situation, we may plan something for spring or summer 2022 but all these tests to fly and sail really put me off travelling.  Hopefully things will be more "normal" in 2022.  

For those of you who are travelling or sailing soon, have a  great time! 

• Like 3

I have a Disney World trip for Nov/Dec I need to bump until 2022, other than that I had no travel plans.

My mother turns 70 in February so would like to do an all inclusive at least and a cruise in the spring.

Plus, who knows what will happen once the Conditional Sail Order goes away November 1st. 

• Like 1

Let's all suggest a place, an event or thing to do in Canada at anytime of the year.  @K_e_short likes Ottawa in the winter to skate on the Rideau.  Don't forget to grab a Beavertail while you're at it.

Me, I'll suggest the Algoma train ride out of Sault Ste Marie in the fall.  

What do you recommend?

• Like 1

Top of my list would be a stay in Quebec City at any time of year, but the Carnaval d'Hiver is a special treat. Never forget my first trip as a student with my university French club, and I have been several times since. They know how to do winter!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The original question around 14 day quarantine did not get answered.  To get back to Canada you need to wait for 14 days from the date that you received a positive molecular test.

If you test positive from a test taken in Florida, for example, prior to the beginning of the cruise, most cruiselines will provide a refund/credit.   I believe that is the extent of what they will cover.  However, what do you do if that happens?  Will a hotel accept a guest who is positive.  If you are currently staying somewhere, can you extend your stay. 

Has anyone been through this situation?

I am all for supporting Canadian tourism but frankly only in the summer.  Sitting now on the Apex in the Caribbean ocean in 80 degree temps is hard to beat.

Yes there are some extra steps but with airlines and cruises  (Celebrity for sure) requiring passengers to be fully vaxxed I really don’t see it getting any better than this for some time.  

The Canadian government needs to drop the ridiculous PCR test to enter Canada for fully vaxxed.  It accomplishes nothing. 

As far as the posters original question, if the cruise line will not look after you if you test positive, 

I would book a domestic flight to Buffalo and drive across the border.  As a Canadian citizen you cannot be refused entry into Canada.  You will need to quarantine but at least you will be at home.  Living 45 minutes from a land border makes this work for us.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127082

So reading the cdc order here, if you test positive it states you "should" self isolate.  Does not say you are required to quarantine.  But with a positive result you cannot board a flight.  But as stated above, you cannot be refused entry into Canada.  I would imagine if you arrived with a positive test you would be required to quarantine at your own expense.  Looks like I'm travelling with my work computer.

17 minutes ago, Magicat said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127082

So reading the cdc order here, if you test positive it states you "should" self isolate.  Does not say you are required to quarantine.  But with a positive result you cannot board a flight.  But as stated above, you cannot be refused entry into Canada.  I would imagine if you arrived with a positive test you would be required to quarantine at your own expense.  Looks like I'm travelling with my work computer.

“You cannot be refused entry into Canada”. Does that also apply for Air travels. I believe not??