January Rough Seas?

mikelan6

If you have experienced rough seas around early January, specifically sailing from Barcelona to the UK, can you please post your recommendations?  How long did the rough seas last? 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

52 minutes ago, mikelan6 said:

If you have experienced rough seas around early January, specifically sailing from Barcelona to the UK, can you please post your recommendations?  How long did the rough seas last? 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

It can be rough at that time of year generally, even while still in the Med.  The Bay of Biscay (which is between the NW of Spain and the NW of France), has a bad reputation at all times of year for rough seas (though more likely to be bad in winter).  Sea conditions can never be certain at any times though, so always best to book a midship cabin and pack some suitable medication in case it is needed.  Brits do not have the luxury of expecting our cruises to be plain sailing from that perspective, but rarely stops us booking them though 🙂

Even the Med countries will not be particularly warm or settled at that time of year - perhaps worth googling general weather conditions/temperatures for countries you are planning to visit.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

I see you have started a poll on this forum, which seems rather strange.  Would be far better to ask opinions of UK cruisers on the UK forums as many of our itineraries go that way.  I have no idea why you think a poll is a good idea though, considering cruisers would have gone through it on many occasions, so you would be looking very far and wide to find someone who had never had a bad crossing of Biscay.

A general question on the UK forums, such as you have posted here would be far more likely to reveal the general experiences of cruisers who regularly cross The Bay of Biscay at all times of year.

Also perhaps look the forum of any cruise line you are looking at, since I cannot think of any which do translocation cruises of that type in January.  The Med, like the Caribbean is cruised seasonally, so translocations to/from there would be in the spring or autumn, unless perhaps a sector of a world cruise.

• Like 1

You will find plenty of cruises to the Med, leaving from the UK at that time on the British based cruise lines, but they return to the UK after about two weeks and are not usually bookable on a one way basis.  They are frequented almost entirely by Brits who are looking for warmer weather with some interesting ports that are less busy than in the summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am somewhat amused by the various "rough seas" posts we regularly see on CC.  Our advice (having literally spent years on ships cruising all over the world) is quite simple.  A ship sails upon the sea, the sea can certainly move, and such movement is generally unpredictable.  There are no rules.  So my advice to the OP is just forget about the sea issue and worry about other things.   I have told friends that if rough seas are such a major concern that they cause anxiety they should consider just avoiding cruises.

On the other hand if somebody where to ask me if I wanted to be cruising in the UK area in January I would say "no way."  It is not about the seas but we are talking winter weather, very short days, chilly, etc.  Consider that in January the sunset in London is about 4pm!  Just not my style :).

Hank

Although I know seas can and do change I feel for the OP.   They are just trying to collect some info to help decide.  I do know that the bay has that rep so I would avoid it.   But I’ve experienced   Very high seas in the med in summer.

one day I may take on the drake shake.   But I pack meclizine, ginger and sea bands just in case.  

• Like 1