Anyone Know which Ports are Open to Cruise Ships?

tring

From reading threads here and other online info, I have got the impression that not all Spanish ports are open yet.  Can I ask if I am correct about, that and if so which ports have opened so far. 

I would also be interested if anyone knows of other ports which have plans to open soon - we are due to cruise to Spain from the UK for late September/ early October and are scheduled to visit some smaller ports:-  Menorca,  Motril,  Castellon-de-La-Plana  and  Vilagarcia- de -Arousa.

Edited by tring

• tring changed the title to Anyone Know which Ports are Open to Cruise Ships?

Our cruise company has now put the excursions on line to be booked for our cruise departing 21st September from the UK and seems we will be visiting all ports on our itinerary, even the much smaller, rarely visited ones and, as of yesterday, it also seems that Spain will allow us to leave the cruise ship independently, without the need to be on an official excursion, so looks like cruising is set to return to something resembling what we had been accustomed to previously.

There is a caveat to the news that we will be allowed to go ashore independently, in that it is understood that the rules could change at any time, so still need to keep our fingers crossed that our cruise goes ahead as we hope it will, without the need for excursions in all ports.

Edited by tring

Just a warning to folks that it is not wise to equate what exists today with what you expect a few weeks, months, or years from now.  The situation in Europe (vis-a-vis COVID) and the rest of the world is very dynamic with changes happening on a very regular basis with little or no notice.  So, if you plan a cruise based on what is open today you will likely find an entirely different scenario by the time you actually travel/cruise.   In Europe we do think the most consistent country (in terms of tourism) has been Greece which is why quite a few cruise lines have focused on cruising the Greek Islands.  Croatia is another country that seems to be focused on promoting tourism.  But otherwise it is like rolling the dice.

Hank

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a warning to folks that it is not wise to equate what exists today with what you expect a few weeks, months, or years from now.  The situation in Europe (vis-a-vis COVID) and the rest of the world is very dynamic with changes happening on a very regular basis with little or no notice. 

Hank

Absolutely and is also what I had said in my post.  In fact it has been stressed by our cruise line that it could change up to just before we arrive at any given port and that details of current situations once we are on the ship, will be available by the shore tours desk (I assume probably a notice board).

The situation can well be different for different nationalities as well of course, I was only referring to the situation when sailing from the UK, and as I said, at present.  That is the first time we have been in that situation though, so it is a step forward for us, and is does appear that more ports are opening currently in Spain, though a step back is quite possible at any time.

Sailing from the UK or flying on a package is also extremely easy for us, given our legal and financial protections if a holiday does not happen, or is curtailed, but flying in from somewhere far away (e.g. the US) is a totally different ball game and not the sort of long haul trip which many UK people would risk to other parts of the world at present, unless again a holiday is booked as a package with our protections.  Some agents or tour providers will put tailor made packages together, which would be an option for us.

Sadly I am not convinced things will become more clear for some time to come.

• 2 weeks later...

We are visiting several ports in Spain (our only ports) departing October 10, 2021 on the Celebrity Apex TA  Celebrity has just announced that we will not be able to visit any of the ports independently or on non ship excursions.  This may be related to us being a TA, but obviously we are left scrambling for options.

32 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We are visiting several ports in Spain (our only ports) departing October 10, 2021 on the Celebrity Apex TA  Celebrity has just announced that we will not be able to visit any of the ports independently or on non ship excursions.  This may be related to us being a TA, but obviously we are left scrambling for options.

Sorry to hear that.  We sail from the UK on 21st Sept, but there is ship from our cruise line heading to Spain at present and they will visit Malaga tomorrow.  They have been told they will be able to go ashore Malaga, but as Spain review what they will allow in their ports every Thursday, they will be told then if independent visits will be allowed at their other ports.

The vast majority (possibly all) passengers will be British and have to be double vaccinated to embark the ship, so that may make a difference, though it is also possible Celebrity do not want to take the risk of allowing passengers off independently, or of having to tell passengers last minute if they will be allowed off independently.  I assume, as it is October, you will be heading west TA, so maybe just a requirement for docking in the US.  There are so many constraints at present that it is not always possible to work out the reason for what is/is not allowed, unless a cruise line are prepared to be totally open about reasons.

If I am correct Apex is a very big ship, so will have a large number of passengers.  Our ship's max passengers is about 1,400, but probably only half that on board for the cruises.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your response and details.  You mentioned a few points that I had not considered.  Requiring Celebrity sponsored excursion would be a good way to further limit the number of passengers in port.  Also perhaps they will modify the requirement as we get closer to arrival.

59 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Thank you for your response and details.  You mentioned a few points that I had not considered.  Requiring Celebrity sponsored excursion would be a good way to further limit the number of passengers in port.  Also perhaps they will modify the requirement as we get closer to arrival.

I have looked up your itinerary and our cruise will also be calling at Cartagena, with both us and the sister ship cruise calling at Cadiz.  I will try to find out what will happen for our sister ship’s cruise and will report that up to date information. 

Regards reasons for Celebrity’s decision about your cruise, I suspect the most relevant would be if everyone on your sailing is not fully vaccinated, as vaccination status can often affect the requirements for entry to various European countries.  I hope you are able to find something of interest among the excursion offerings that Celebrity have.   It would be good if their requirement does change, but I would not TBH be too hopeful at this stage.  Our summer cruise season, which is finishing soon, has been just for UK waters with few ports, and until the last week or two have only allowed people to go ashore on Ship’s excursions.

Edited by tring

Has anyone any updates on Spanish (or French) ports for Europe-only Southampton cruises? I see the first medium-sized ships went into Santander a few days ago but they were the German Phoenix line and I can't find any reports. The press release suggested that it was ship excursion only but I can't be certain. The bigger ships from Celebrity, Princess etc will start calling in over the next week or two so hopefully situation might be slightly clearer. (I appreciate that things can reverse at short notice but the covid trend in France and Spain is now downwards so likely I think that whatever rules are established by early Oct will last through the month). 

Edited by peterjames2000

40 minutes ago, peterjames2000 said:

Has anyone any updates on Spanish (or French) ports for Europe-only Southampton cruises? I see the first medium-sized ships went into Santander a few days ago but they were the German Phoenix line and I can't find any reports. The press release suggested that it was ship excursion only but I can't be certain. The bigger ships from Celebrity, Princess etc will start calling in over the next week or two so hopefully situation might be slightly clearer. (I appreciate that things can reverse at short notice but the covid trend in France and Spain is now downwards so likely I think that whatever rules are established by early Oct will last through the month). 

We are now embarking a Spanish Med cruise today, (Fred).  He has another ship currently in Spain and they are being allowed ashore independently until Thursday when Spain make their weekly decision on whether they will allow passengers ashore independently, so we are hoping the Spanish decision this Thursday also allows us ashore independently, at least until the following Thursday.  Even some very small Spanish ports seem to be open now as we have a couple of ports I had never heard of and they are to go ahead, e.g. Castellon La Plana.

All can change until the minute your ship docks though, as we have been told by our cruise line, though seems to be Thursday is the review date for Spain at present.  I have seen some French and Portuguese ports cancelled altogether during the last week for cruises due to leave very soon though, but Le Verdon and Madeira have been added to those itineraries, as replacements.  Santander not  on any itineraries I have seen.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, peterjames2000 said:

Wow, that is soo helpful Tring. Enjoy your cruise and would very much appreciate updates when you return.

Been told Spain will let us visit all Spanish ports until next Thursday, so that takes care of four of our six ports.  Post something here after next Thursday and I will update for following week, but possibly not untill we are home after the following Tuesday as only paid for 24 hrs net on ship now.

Cheers,.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 11:13 AM, tring said:

Been told Spain will let us visit all Spanish ports until next Thursday, so that takes care of four of our six ports.  Post something here after next Thursday and I will update for following week, but possibly not untill we are home after the following Tuesday as only paid for 24 hrs net on ship now.

Cheers,.

Barbara

We were allowed into our last Spanish port independently on Saturday as the decision went well for this week as well.  The next decision will presumably now be made tomorrow, Thursday, 7th Oct.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:37 AM, tring said:

We were allowed into our last Spanish port independently on Saturday as the decision went well for this week as well.  The next decision will presumably now be made tomorrow, Thursday, 7th Oct.

Great news Tring, keep us posted!

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

Great news Tring, keep us posted!

I wish I could, but home now and itching to know what the situation is currently as we are on another Med cruise to Spain, France and Italy, leaving later this month.  A  P&O ship, Britannia was not allowed to dock in Italy a couple of weeks ago and P&O have said Italy was only accepting home ported ships, though I have heard ships home porting in other EU countries have called there, so poss just EU ships.  Hence those on our roll call at thinking we may not make Italy at all, or at least be restricted to trips only.

If anyone hears anything, please let us know.