Onboard Quest's first cruise

Huntingdon1701

19 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We were recently on Celebrity Silhouette. I found I was unable to use the app to order my food, as it didn’t have the dietary symbols included, so I had to ask for a paper menu.

Does the Azamara app include these symbols?

I didn't look for very long, but I don't think it did. It wasn't an app as such, just a screen menu. 

18 hours ago, smisand said:

Is the Windows Buffet open for use and if so are crew serving or are passengers getting their own food?

Hope you are having a fantastic time - your posts are much appreciated.  We are all living vicariously through them!  😍

Thanks for the birthday wishes. 

Yes, Windows is open (Discoveries is not for lunch, even on sea days). The crew are serving everything. You go along and point and they plate up. The positive is that their portions are great for dieting. But you may have to go back for seconds if you like your food. 

16 hours ago, Cruiser Nonna said:

Happy Birthday Huntingdon 1701 - you are giving US the best gift - taking us along on your adventure.

Wish Azamara would see this and comp you some internet minute since you are doing such a great advertising blog for them!

Is White Nights still a go on your sailing? In room movies?  Complimentary or fee?

Thank you again for taking your time to help us - Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks!

White Night is happening but staggered across venues to facilitate social distancing. The various acts repeat at about 45 minutes so you'll get a chance to experience them all. It's not happened yet, so not sure what impact it will have on atmosphere. 

There is a TV channel running a few movies a day, free of charge. They're not very modern ones. No pay for view or on-demand options, as far as I've discovered. 

14 hours ago, Deck Chair Queen said:

Thank you so very much for your detailed, informative report. We are scheduled for the Western Med cruise on the Quest October 28. Depending, I suppose, on what the EU member countries decide to do about nonessential travel from the US. I am especially interested in how you feel about the COVID-19 precautions on the cruise and whether you feel safe or anxious. I’m hoping there is strict adherence to masking and social distancing rules for all, especially on excursions.  

I feel absolutely safe on board, and more so than I did staying in my Athens hotel or on the plane. Compliance with masks is good, and it is very easy to social distance. 

I've been ultra cautious through the pandemic and been doing limited local outdoor trips even after our lockdown ended, so I'm at the more risk averse end of society. But very comfortable here. 

Edited by Huntingdon1701
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, eggcream3 said:

Thanks, looks like the new guys have their act together.  you said the ship was not fully booked.  Could you make a guess as to percent occupied based on what you are seeing in the dining room and cabaret. Enjoy, rest, and do not eat too many eclairs.  

This is the smallest ship I've sailed on, so hard for me to make a good guess. But the busiest I've seen Discoveries is about 25% full. Really quite empty. Similarly, the pool deck is rarely busy. 

Perhaps 50% overall? 

I make no promises about eclairs. 🤣

Edited by Huntingdon1701

Feels way too early but we've now got some info about disembarkation, although not yet on the free testing. 

Also the Insider for Rhodes (we've just docked), the menus for last night, and the room service pepperoni pizza which was very good. 

Morning was at sea so spent the time enjoying the saltwater jacuzzi in the Sanctum. No-one else around. I also had a go in the gym last night. Equipment is old but functional. 

IMG_20210830_134123.jpg

IMG_20210830_202326.jpg

IMG_20210830_202019.jpg

IMG_20210830_202038.jpg

IMG_20210830_202043.jpg

IMG_20210830_202057.jpg

IMG_20210830_181042.jpg

IMG_20210830_181045.jpg

IMG_20210830_185753.jpg

IMG_20210830_182331.jpg

IMG_20210830_184524.jpg

IMG_20210830_223459.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Happy Birthday Huntingdon1701.

Cake and room decoration has been an Azamara tradition for birthdays and anniversaries at least as long as we have been cruising with them.

Thanks for your informative posts and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I have had a few birthdays onboard, yes the cake is a tradition as happens on several lines, but Huntingdon1701 has been made feel very special with the decorations, something I have never enjoyed.  DH did once.  It is a nice touch, maybe I will get both cake and decorations at some future time

• Like 2

Shore excursion - Journey to Lindos. Approx 5 hr 15.

In case anyone was wondering, you're able to do ports on your own as long as all your party is double vaccinated. 

Island is apparently named after the nymph created to appease Apollo after his father, Zeus, forgot he existed and didn't give him a share of the Earth alongside the other Gods. 

Very pretty village of Lindos plus an interesting acropolis/crusader castle on top of the hill. It is steep and slippery to get to the top - do NOT try it in the rain. There are donkeys but I saw a man's saddle slide 45 degrees while on the edge of the cliff, so wouldn't recommend them. 

About half our party went up to the acropolis and half stayed down in Lindos. Both groups seemed happy with their choice. 

At the top, you can see a harbour where Paul the Apostle is supposed to have preached Christianity. It's heart shaped and from the top you can't see the entrance so it looks like a lake. Very attractive. 

IMG_20210831_142847.jpg

IMG_20210831_144032.jpg

IMG_20210831_150058.jpg

IMG_20210831_150850.jpg

IMG_20210831_150929.jpg

IMG_20210831_151251.jpg

IMG_20210831_151834.jpg

IMG_20210831_151659.jpg

IMG_20210831_153451.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, QM2 fan said:

Thank you again Huntingdon.. really enjoying this. Confirmed my booking for 18th sept today-cabin 7057.

Excellent choice. It's just down the corridor and doesn't look like there should be any noise, but you're also pretty close to the stairs and lifts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I have had a few birthdays onboard, yes the cake is a tradition as happens on several lines, but Huntingdon1701 has been made feel very special with the decorations, something I have never enjoyed.  DH did once.  It is a nice touch, maybe I will get both cake and decorations at some future time

During our first cruise on Quest many years ago we celebrated our anniversary. I had left our anniversary cards on the table and on returning later not only the room was decorated but the bed was strewn with rose petals and other small touches. I went to thank Ravin and found him hiding outside waiting to see our reaction. 

• Like 6

Congratulations to the intrepid Lindos Acropolis climbers!  We've visited Rhodes three times but have yet to explore Lindos.  Very intrigued about the possibilities now, but will pass on the donkeys ; )  Thank you again, Huntingdon1701, for these trip reports!

• Like 2

I never saw a list of the included wines (pre-Covid).  There were 2 reds and 2 whites each night – they changed each night (or rotated out of a larger list).  Also one rosé that apparently didn't change.  You could also ask for one of the other reds or whites and they would find a bottle for you.

• Like 1

Dinner tonight. Unfortunately the heat from earlier must have made my waist swell, as my trousers feel tighter than they were on boarding. Luckily the food is taking my mind off it. 

You can see how empty the dining room is at 6.40pm. I count 17 passengers. A bit busier at 7.30 but only about 50. 

It's the Destination Celebration event tonight. Looking forward to seeing how that goes. 

IMG_20210831_182516.jpg

IMG_20210831_182518.jpg

IMG_20210831_191233.jpg

IMG_20210831_184251.jpg

IMG_20210831_185750.jpg

IMG_20210831_192323.jpg

IMG_20210831_183925.jpg

Edited by Huntingdon1701
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, QM2 fan said:

Any chance of letting me know which wines are in the standard package at the mo please??

I spoke to one of the sommeliers and Jazzbeau has effectively summed it up. There's no shareable list. They have a variable rotation of 9 wines that they try and match to the menu and the destination. 

At the moment, Covid is causing some disruption to supplies, so everything is coming from Miami. 

I'm not a wine expert but have mostly enjoyed my random selection each evening. If you have more educated tastes, then they have various wine packages on board and more specific selections. 

Edited by Huntingdon1701
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Dinner tonight. Unfortunately the heat from earlier must have made my waist swell, as my trousers feel tighter than they were on boarding. Luckily the food is taking my mind off it. 

Its not the heat - it is so annoying Azamara have not fixed that faulty air conditioning during dry dock, it affects me every time 🤣 🙂 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/30/2021 at 1:11 AM, Huntingdon1701 said:

It's Club Veranda, so the same type you'll have, but without the OBC etc. 

It's not a big room but very comfortably furnished. I'm enjoying having a proper table on the balcony for breakfast. ( They're currently just dropping food off at the door rather than coming into the cabin). 

IMG_20210830_080626.jpg

Did they replace plastic curtains (that wraps your body once you turn water on) in the shower with a door?

10 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Did they replace plastic curtains (that wraps your body once you turn water on) in the shower with a door?

They're still clinging, unfortunately. The free showers in the Sanctum are more roomy, and have a massaging option too.