Cruise Activity Restarts in San Diego

igraf

The San Diego Port schedule shows the Disney Wonder arriving on September 2nd and the Zuiderdam arriving on September 8th.  It appears that both ships will have extended stays to prepare for their respective restart sailings, and both ships will be present in San Diego for a couple days.  There will even be an unusual berth switch performed by the Zuiderdam.

https://pantheonstorage.blob.core.windows.net/maritime/Ship.pdf

igraf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zuiderdam's first cruise isn't happening until November 6th.  They consolidated all her Mexico and Pacific coastal cruises with those on the Koningsdam.  I do know Zuiderdam has crew onboard already so don't know what they'll be doing between now and then.  Anybody?

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

Zuiderdam's first cruise isn't happening until November 6th.  They consolidated all her Mexico and Pacific coastal cruises with those on the Koningsdam.  I do know Zuiderdam has crew onboard already so don't know what they'll be doing between now and then.  Anybody?

I'm scheduled on the Sept. 25 Mexican Riviera sailing.  The first Zuiderdam cruise is  the Sept. 17 California Coastal.  The one after me is Oct. 2.  I've been told that all three have been cancelled, but I haven't been notified yet, although some people have gotten an email.  If it were not for the Roll Call board, I'd never know and I'd be happily making plans and spending money.  My booking is still active in my account, and I probably could have booked shore excursions and restaurant reservations.  I don't know why they cancelled but I think they should put a little more effort into getting the information to the people affected.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, croozer said:

I'm scheduled on the Sept. 25 Mexican Riviera sailing.  The first Zuiderdam cruise is  the Sept. 17 California Coastal.  The one after me is Oct. 2.  I've been told that all three have been cancelled, but I haven't been notified yet, although some people have gotten an email.  If it were not for the Roll Call board, I'd never know and I'd be happily making plans and spending money.  My booking is still active in my account, and I probably could have booked shore excursions and restaurant reservations.  I don't know why they cancelled but I think they should put a little more effort into getting the information to the people affected.

I don't understand why everyone that's being effected hasn't been told yet either.  How frustrating.  I have a friend who was booked on the first two Zuiderdam sailings and she already switched to the K'dam.  Also, the Zuiderdam doesn't show up on HAL's site to book until its first cruise which is the November 6th Sea of Cortez.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, zelker said:

Who knows, but my fingers are crossed that they’ll use the time to give the Crows Nest a warm, comfortable atmosphere instead of the current cold, sterile dentist chair vibe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I don't understand why everyone that's being effected hasn't been told yet either.  How frustrating.  I have a friend who was booked on the first two Zuiderdam sailings and she already switched to the K'dam.  Also, the Zuiderdam doesn't show up on HAL's site to book until its first cruise which is the November 6th Sea of Cortez.

When your friend switched to the Koningsdam, was it for the same time period or was it a month or so later?  I'm more concerned about my time frame than which ship I go on, but I don't believe the K'dam is sailing until mid to late October.  Thanks for sharing the info.

3 minutes ago, croozer said:

When your friend switched to the Koningsdam, was it for the same time period or was it a month or so later?  I'm more concerned about my time frame than which ship I go on, but I don't believe the K'dam is sailing until mid to late October.  Thanks for sharing the info.

K'dam's first sailing is October 10th and she's on that and the following one as B2B's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Who knows, but my fingers are crossed that they’ll use the time to give the Crows Nest a warm, comfortable atmosphere instead of the current cold, sterile dentist chair vibe.

Would not hold my breath.  

Thank you for posting accurate information.

Just like watching when flying, first thing you want to see is the aircraft in the gate for your flight, then you want to see the crew board or activity in the cockpit with f/o setting the info for the flight, etc. 

So you know they have crew onboard the Zui.  --I wonder if they have enough crew for Nov., any more details re all of that?  We are on Nov. 6 cruise and the one after that, so we are very interested.  Thank you for info.

Edited by 12cruise2
added words

2 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I wonder if they have enough crew for Nov., any more details re all of that?  We are on Nov. 6 cruise and the one after that, so we are very interested.

Have no idea.  I've been PMing with one of our Neptune Lounge concierges (she's off on maternity leave until next year) who's been in touch with two of her Guest Relations besties who boarded Zuidie about 3 weeks ago and that's all I know for sure currently.  And she told me that prior to them announcing this switch.  Sorry I have no more info than that.

I personally do not know exact reason why the sudden canceling and changes of moving people from Zuiderdam to Koningsdam and canceling the first several Zuiderdam but I have a guess. It has nothing to do with getting crew to the ship, nor does it have anything to do with getting everyone vaccinated. It is  $$$$SALES$$$$. Neither of these ships are selling that great, prices have actually dropped in many categories. They started to get more cancellations than reservations once they announced passengers needed to be tested and wearing masks on board. The Delta Varient getting worse has not helped matters as well as the covid spread in Mexico getting worse. Recent Alaska sailings have sailed with less passengers than the very first sailing July 24th when that was to be the sailing with the least amount of passengers and they would take it up to 90%. That is not happening. HAL's only option was to hope those still booked that were wanting to sail on the Zuiderdam were willing to wait a few weeks and sail on the Koningsdam. Just a side note that in the past when HAL was doing the move overs they would close off the ship for new reservations so that canceled cruises could be moved to so they could easily process the move overs. This time this is not happening Koningsdam is open to book. HAL does not want to miss any opportunity to sell a cabin. Availability is wide open for those weeks in October.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Maybe your email slipped through the crack. Mine certainly did. Contact your TA.

@LAFFNVEGAS Lisa, I 100% agree.

@Storylady We hadn’t confirmed we were going on Zuiderdam when this all happened.  Glad we don’t have to worry about it now.  Test availability still looks to be an issue here in our part of Colorado which is also why we ended up canceling Alaska when HAL announced the testing requirements... sadly we should have been boarding today.

• Like 1

Disney is still advertising September departures from San Diego, albeit towards the end of the month.  

It literally took an act of congress to restart the Alaskan cruises, but there are no such political difficulties with the San Diego cruises to Mexico and the California coast.  The cancellations could simply be lackluster sales at this time.

igraf

Edited by igraf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I personally do not know exact reason why the sudden canceling and changes of moving people from Zuiderdam to Koningsdam and canceling the first several Zuiderdam but I have a guess. It has nothing to do with getting crew to the ship, nor does it have anything to do with getting everyone vaccinated. It is  $$$$SALES$$$$. Neither of these ships are selling that great, prices have actually dropped in many categories. They started to get more cancellations than reservations once they announced passengers needed to be tested and wearing masks on board. The Delta Varient getting worse has not helped matters as well as the covid spread in Mexico getting worse. Recent Alaska sailings have sailed with less passengers than the very first sailing July 24th when that was to be the sailing with the least amount of passengers and they would take it up to 90%. That is not happening. HAL's only option was to hope those still booked that were wanting to sail on the Zuiderdam were willing to wait a few weeks and sail on the Koningsdam. Just a side note that in the past when HAL was doing the move overs they would close off the ship for new reservations so that canceled cruises could be moved to so they could easily process the move overs. This time this is not happening Koningsdam is open to book. HAL does not want to miss any opportunity to sell a cabin. Availability is wide open for those weeks in October.

I suspect you are 100 percent right with your assumptions.

9 hours ago, zelker said:

Time will tell ...

Edited by srpilo

We are booked on the Nov. 6 sailing of the Zuiderdam .  Booked it while on the Nieuw Amsterdam/Alaska. Paid in full and then found out about the COVID test requirement which is impossible to get in the 3 day timeline.where I live.

My days of booking with HAL may be over.  We leave next month for a river cruise, and all that is required is a vaccination.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Loreto said:

We are booked on the Nov. 6 sailing of the Zuiderdam .  Booked it while on the Nieuw Amsterdam/Alaska. Paid in full and then found out about the COVID test requirement which is impossible to get in the 3 day timeline.where I live.

My days of booking with HAL may be over.  We leave next month for a river cruise, and all that is required is a vaccination.

You can't get a test within 3 days? Really? We live in NorCal and could list a dozen or more places where you can get a test within 3 days. We already have tests scheduled to meet the Hawaii 3 day requirement (if needed) for a October land visit, and have fleshed out our plan for testing, if required, for our late  February HAL cruise.

We live in the Denver-Boulder metro area, no CVS here, and can only schedule 2 days out at a time with Walgreens and from what I’ve seen, those slots disappear as soon as they open up.  Reminiscent of early vaccine days.  Plus there’s definitely a shortage of at-home rapid tests.  OR we have to pay well over $100 each at urgent care or dedicated rip-off testing sites and no gty we’ll get it back in time. Anything else for sure takes too long and they do not advise doing those for travel.  Happy for those of you who seem to have a plethora of options but it’s not that easy everywhere around the country and is just an added stressor.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, igraf said:

Disney is still advertising September departures from San Diego, albeit towards the end of the month.  

It literally took an act of congress to restart the Alaskan cruises, but there are no such political difficulties with the San Diego cruises to Mexico and the California coast.  The cancellations could simply be lackluster sales at this time.

igraf

I’d love to book & go on a cruise but as a Canadian our government still says no to cruising.  

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You can't get a test within 3 days? Really? We live in NorCal and could list a dozen or more places where you can get a test within 3 days. We already have tests scheduled to meet the Hawaii 3 day requirement (if needed) for a October land visit, and have fleshed out our plan for testing, if required, for our late  February HAL cruise.

Hawaii travel restrictions: Tourists weigh vacation plans amid COVID (statesman.com)

Edited by Sam.Seattle