Live from Equinox 8/27/21 Sailing

Beba-Beba

42 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

This seems like a good time to ask a random mask question.  Are they giving you (all passengers) masks?  The did on the Summit.

Yes.  They're dark blue, Celebrity-branded ones that all crewmembers wear, from the captain down.  Very nice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Yes.  They're dark blue, Celebrity-branded ones that all crewmembers wear, from the captain down.  Very nice.

Thanks.  On the Summit we got gray one.  I got the crew colored one as a favor from the staff.  (We got along so well with them that my sister and I are going back in November).  I hope they still have them in October.  Next Month finally.

8 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Awesome!!  Can anyone report if negative testing was required to get off the ship in Bonaire today?  Did the testing take place on board the ship?

No testing required for Bonaire, we were uutold to take our pre cruise negative test paperwork with us onshore but no one asked to see it or our proof of vaccination. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

A tip, do not order scrambled eggs for breakfast on room service. Had them this morning and it was the weirdest concoction and totally tasteless. 

Thanks Terry. Which breakfast  items have been your favorites? Looking forward to having a few breakfasts on our aft balcony🙂  - Michelle 

Just now, Silkroad said:

Thanks Terry. Which breakfast  items have been your favorites? Looking forward to having a few breakfasts on our aft balcony🙂  - Michelle 

The omelets have been OK but they have no picante or salsa available which being from Texas, I love over my omelets. I asked for hot sauce and was delivered little bottles of Tabasco.  I also got some Pico but the fresh onions didn't sit well.

The breads and Danish have been a better choice and very good. The best breakfast was yesterday in Luminae for eggs Benedict which were cooked perfectly. 

Do not order a mixed fruit plate because we found the cantaloupe and honeydew to not be ripe and hard. We have ordered just pineapple and kiwi fruit which have been ripe an sweet since that first morning. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I really want to comment on the above posters question, "Is there a more thoughtful strategy?"  However, I do not want my comment to be construed as opinion thus violating Cruise Critic's recommendations regarding COVID-related discussion.  Sooooo with regard to Celebrity's current policies on board face coverings are not required of passengers.  I will be bringing face coverings and to what extent I will be using them time will tell.  If Celebrity's policy evolves I will certainly comply, but I will not cancel.  I have looked forward to too many cancelled cruises already.  I hope everyone on board enjoys the rest of their trip.

With what has happened in the last few days I have noticed more passengers walking around the ship in masks, maybe as much as 30-40% compared to maybe 10% the first few days. I believe it should be left to personal decision and responsibility rather than mandates. Looking at statistics we have 1200 passengers and so far 4 positive tests or .003%, of the passengers, we are  IMO safer on this ship than in a grocery store at home. 

Compare this to Norovirus outbreaks in the past on cruise ship where 20% or more of the passengers got sick.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

Thanks Terry.  I appreciate that.   Glad to know there is a good willingness on board to mask up and socially distance.  And probably not much sense in anyone getting too excited over those numbers.  We each have our own comfort level.  Health and safety measures aside you are all still on a VACATION on a beautiful vessel sailing around a beautiful part of the world stopping at some lovely islands.  So jealous I am not on board...yet.  

🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

With what has happened in the last few days I have noticed more passengers walking around the ship in masks, maybe as much as 30-40% compared to maybe 10% the first few days. I believe it should be left to personal decision and responsibility rather than mandates. Looking at statistics we have 1200 passengers and so far 4 positive tests or .003%, of the passengers, we are  IMO safer on this ship than in a grocery store at home. 

4 positives out of 1200 passengers is 0.3%, not 0.003%. Still a very safe environment even with the corrected math.

2 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Thanks Terry.  I appreciate that.   Glad to know there is a good willingness on board to mask up and socially distance.  And probably not much sense in anyone getting too excited over those numbers.  We each have our own comfort level.  Health and safety measures aside you are all still on a VACATION on a beautiful vessel sailing around a beautiful part of the world stopping at some lovely islands.  So jealous I am not on board...yet.  

🙂

In some venues like the theater for shows people are only sitting with friends or family groups, social distancing is easy to do.  I thought we would spend more time at the Martini bar but there has been no way to socially distance during the busier evening hours, and that has been the only place we felt somewhat uncomfortable.  We have been spending our time in other bars and the Retreat Lounge. 

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

4 positives out of 1200 passengers is 0.3%, not 0.003%. Still a very safe environment even with the corrected math.

I stand corrected,  I got the decimal point wrong math was never my strongest subject. Compare .3% to areas in the US currently with a positivity rate over 10%. So we are indeed in a safe environment. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Looking at statistics we have 1200 passengers and so far 4 positive tests or .003%, of the passengers, we are  IMO safer on this ship than in a grocery store at home.

Agree that it's safer than home, but watch the math.  That's 0.33%, not 0.003%, so your ship is now officially over 0.1% and is categorized 'CDC Yellow' for this cruise.  Sadly, all it takes is 1 in 1000 to trip the investigation wire. 

Oops ... looks like i posted that one a minute or two too late!

Edited by canderson

22 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not really worried about getting symptoms we have even gotten our booster,  it’s being locked in jail for 2 or 3 days because my traclet went off. We love the Celebrity “S” class ships, but if we are on our Oct ABC cruise and only get to see A, that’s would put a real damper on the experience . I seems those 4 people did not infect, but affected alot more.

10 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Ran into another couple just released and got some answers.  You can get wine by the bottle and mini bottles delivered no charge.  Just no open glasses.  They're not allowed to carry those.  Also might be able to order from Sushi on 5.  Not sure about that though.

I have to wear a mask outside my cabin which is no big deal since I'd already started doing that.  The other couple and I chatted for at least 30 minutes....3 meters apart.  We all agreed we are going to protect ourselves.  They got taken aside when they came back from town in Curacao yesterday.  They'd been as socially distant as they could and guessed Blu where I'd guessed Cafe al Bacio.  So as I said, who knows.  We're also going to be tested one more time and they'll call us with the schedule of where and when.

Thanks for all of the detailed info on what happens when you are a close contact.  If you get a chance, can you confirm that it is still Celebrity's policy to cancel any following legs of a B2B if you are a close contact and test negative?

• Like 1

Terry,  We have always congregated around the crowded Martini Bar as we wait to order drinks and/or wait for other passengers to vacate their barstools when they leave for dinner.  We also enjoy taking our drinks to the other seating areas in the Martini Bar.  I am looking forward to taking this opportunity to broaden our horizons and explore the other venues in more depth.  World Class Bar has some interesting choices on the menu.  Also, Passport Bar, Sunset Bar, Ensemble Lounge, and The Retreat Lounge (if booked in a suite) offer plenty of locations and space for us to spread out.  I have received many wonderful drink recommendations on the board recently.  Maybe we will follow the coffeehouse talent around the ship.  Celebrity has some wonderful talent on board their ships.  Can you tell us who the coffeehouse/acoustic talent is currently on board Equinox?

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

...can you confirm that it is still Celebrity's policy to cancel any following legs of a B2B if you are a close contact and test negative?

Will be curious to hear as well.  Given that contacts can remain aboard to complete even a long cruise with negative tests, seems rather extreme to dump pax off in the middle of a B2B.

Cynically - I suppose under current policy, it may be a cost thing.  Until 31 October, X has agreed to pay for repatriation from a foreign port, but if you are back at the home port in the turn, they don't incur that big expense, so feel free to unload contacts at that point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

Will be curious to hear as well.  Given that contacts can remain aboard to complete even a long cruise with negative tests, seems rather extreme to dump pax off in the middle of a B2B.

Cynically - I suppose under current policy, it may be a cost thing.  Until 31 October, X has agreed to pay for repatriation from a foreign port, but if you are back at the home port in the turn, they don't incur that big expense, so feel free to unload contacts at that point.

I'm interested as well as start my B2B on Sunday.   I do expect the answer will be yes that's still going to be the policy.  The final explanation given to the last couple experiencing this was that they would not b able to answer the health survey question regarding recent contact with a covid positive person "no".

It's all about risk mitigation for the cruise line, they aren't going to take a chance that you subsequently test positive "on their dime".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Compare this to Norovirus outbreaks in the past on cruise ship where 20% or more of the passengers got sick.

Terry...I agree with your assessment about fruit and eggs.  Fruits (except watermelon) was hard and in most cases not ripened enough.  Regarding eggs, scrambled and omelettes were made with some sort of egg substitute, or rehydrated?  It was a weird texture.  However, if you request your eggs made with "real" eggs, they'll accommodate.  Another note, not sure what the cooking oil/fats they use, but they had a slightly weird smell/taste also.

Just a heads up.  Maybe it's too late in the season for fresh fruits.  Or, maybe fresh eggs are hard to come by these days.  But, I didn't notice the "weird" fruit and eggs as much on my July cruise as I did my August cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

May be related to legal/liability/cost concerns as well.  If that person was to get ill people would be clambering how could Celebrity let them back on. Will be interesting to see how protocols adapt before our fall cruise. 

Does anyone know the range or time that trigger the tracer bracelets or is that confidential? May have to be extra antisocial on our cruise...

Thanks for all of the information! 

I received an email yesterday from a friend who has been following this thread.  She got off Friday when we got on and received a call Monday from X advising her she had been in "close contact" in the Martinin Bar so she took a test at home and was negative.   X is taking this pretty seriously, I'd say.  And obviously close contact isn't from the day before.  Must have been a B2B 2nd leg positive on our cruise for them to contact her 3 days after hers at home.  

• Thanks 1