Question for Airline out of LGB for San Pedro Cruise

AF-1

Hello all, Delta just notified me of a schedule change for my October cruise.  I now have a 10:15 flight out of LGB.  It should be possible to make; but do not know what Princess protocols will be for covid testing prior to leaving the ship.  If we just walk off at 7am clear customs and pick up bags, we can take taxi and be at airport by 8am.  I know it's a small airport so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.  Where is Scottca075, I know he always has good news.  Thanks

Edited by AF-1
added txt

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hello all, Delta just notified me of a schedule change for my October cruise.  I now have a 10:15 flight out of LGB.  It should be possible to make; but do not know what Princess protocols will be for covid testing prior to leaving the ship.  If we just walk off at 7am clear customs and pick up bags, we can take taxi and be at airport by 8am.  I know it's a small airport so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.  Where is Scottca075, I know he always has good news.  Thanks

There should be no COVID testing upon disembarkation except if there have been positive cases on board that warrant testing per whatever criteria the CDC have in place at the time. Otherwise there's no routine COVID testing for passengers arriving on cruise ships.

Edited by njhorseman

On 8/30/2021 at 7:37 AM, AF-1 said:

If is the right word. If the ship arrives on time and the ship clears customs by 7am you should not have a problem. I would look for a flight a little later, around noon.

3 hours ago, skrufy said:

If is the right word. If the ship arrives on time and the ship clears customs by 7am you should not have a problem. I would look for a flight a little later, around noon.

Thanks for feedback.  There is only one other flight which leaves at 1:30 with two stops and does not land in my home city until 5:30am the next morning.  

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for feedback.  There is only one other flight which leaves at 1:30 with two stops and does not land in my home city until 5:30am the next morning.  

Ouch, that’s tough. Hope all works out well for you.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, scottca075 said:

Been gone a few days. It is cutting things closer than I would normally, but I actually think you'll be fine.

I think so too   only other option would be a later flight that gets me home at 5:30am the next day.  thanks for your support

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest issue in San Pedro/Long Beach is US customs. Unlike other ports now, which have facial recognition, or do a quick passport check, the ones in LA make you go through booths while they look up your information, which can slow the process considerably. Despite having Global Entry and TSA precheck, I've also been sent to a back room several times for secondary screening, which took some time. It might not be a problem if you're doing early walk-off, unless there's a big group doing the same. 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, rj59 said:

I think the biggest issue in San Pedro/Long Beach is US customs. Unlike other ports now, which have facial recognition, or do a quick passport check, the ones in LA make you go through booths while they look up your information, which can slow the process considerably. Despite having Global Entry and TSA precheck, I've also been sent to a back room several times for secondary screening, which took some time. It might not be a problem if you're doing early walk-off, unless there's a big group doing the same. 

Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I am on  delta out of LAX at 1:20pm

Good...That one leaves at a perfect time...

I know a lot of people love the idea of flying out of LGB...it is a small, uncrowded airport...and IF you can get a flight at a good time that takes you directly home, wonderful...BUT, as I keep trying to tell people, the problem with LGB is that there are very few flight out of there to anywhere...so, if your flight time is changed, you rarely have decent options...LAX, OTOH, is one of the busiest airports in the world and can be intimidating to some...BUT, ther are many flights...and many nonstop flights...out of there to almost everywhere...at all hours of the day.

It is not far from the port (20 miles from San Pedro, 23 from Carnival in Long Beach).  Changing planes at LAX can be a hassle, dealing with the LAX-IT lot and shuttle to get an Uber or taxi can be a hassle...but, flying out of LAX?  Your Uber, Lyft, shuttle or taxi can drop you off right in front of the proper terminal, check-in and/or security lines MAY be long at time, but often not (and it helps to have checked in online and/or have TSA priority status) and it is a short walk to your gate.  It's a big airport, but, you won't have to deal with much of it.  Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 8:37 AM, AF-1 said:

I'm in a similar situation for my December Cruise, with a tight deadline  - how did it go for you?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 8:15 AM, pks3 said:

I'm in a similar situation for my December Cruise, with a tight deadline  - how did it go for you?

sorry for the late reply.  My flight had to be rebooked to LAX for 1:30pm.  The ship got back ontime; however, we could not leave the ship for three hours due to a crew swap.  there were 120 crew that were leaving the ship and headed to Miami to board Enchanted Princess; and since they were all foreign nationals, customs had to process them first before passengers. The good thing Princess paid for any additional fees 

• Thanks 1