Alberta offering third dose for those with mixed vaccines

XLVIII

Good news if you live in Alberta. Starting September 1, the province will be offering a third dose of MRNA vaccine to upcoming travellers who got Astra / MRNA mixed vaccines.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8153392/alberta-covid-19-3rd-doses-vaccine/

"The province will offer mRNA vaccines to Albertans who are travelling to a jurisdiction that does not accept visitors who have been vaccinated with the Covishield/AstraZeneca vaccine or those who received mixed doses."

😀😀😀

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Good news if you live in Alberta. Starting September 1, the province will be offering a third dose of MRNA vaccine to upcoming travellers who got Astra / MRNA mixed vaccines.

"The province will offer mRNA vaccines to Albertans who are travelling to a jurisdiction that does not accept visitors who have been vaccinated with the Covishield/AstraZeneca vaccine or those who received mixed doses."

😀😀😀

OMG you have made my day.  Sign me up I am tired of being a prisoner!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I will bet you 1 million dollars that Ontario is last 🙂

Now that our premier's idol has done it, maybe he will do it now. He is flip flopping on vaccine passports today.  lets hope he does the same on vaccines for mixed dosers!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Have I mentioned how much I hate living in Ontario?

So glad another province is fixing the mistakes made by NACI.

Move.

I take it you would rather higher covid levels so long as your leisure travel was not impacted?

• Like 1

With the news yesterday about the US recommending US travelers don't go to Canada, I'm now expecting the border to stay closed past Sept 21.  That's my last option to get to the US to get a 3rd shot before our Oct. 31 cruise.  Hopefully Ford will bend on this now that another Conservative gov't is bending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

Now that our premier's idol has done it, maybe he will do it now. He is flip flopping on vaccine passports today.  lets hope he does the same on vaccines for mixed dosers!

I thought the vaccine passport announcement was cancelled for today? Is it back on? I can't keep track 😞

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Move.

I take it you would rather higher covid levels so long as your leisure travel was not impacted?

I'm not sure how the two are related.

Right now many Canadians are travelling for leisure.

Many Americans (who are vaccinated) are allowed to travel in Canada.

Those with proper doses are per the manufacter recommendations are travelling to the U.S., Mexico, on cruise ships, etc.

This is a travel forum where we talk about leisure travel.

Just yesterday CTV had an article about how vaccination numbers are stalling. It's going to be a while before we reach the 90% vaccination rate that seems to be the goal.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/overall-pace-of-covid-19-vaccination-in-ottawa-slows-but-rate-of-new-first-doses-picking-up-1.5566765

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I'm not sure how the two are related.

Right now many Canadians are travelling for leisure.

Many Americans (who are vaccinated) are allowed to travel in Canada.

Those with proper doses are per the manufacter recommendations are travelling to the U.S., Mexico, on cruise ships, etc.

This is a travel forum where we talk about leisure travel.

Just yesterday CTV had an article about how vaccination numbers are stalling. It's going to be a while before we reach the 90% vaccination rate that seems to be the goal.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/overall-pace-of-covid-19-vaccination-in-ottawa-slows-but-rate-of-new-first-doses-picking-up-1.5566765

Some people who went against the recommendation of NACI and waited for the same dose are very smug now and have no empathy for the people who followed the recommendations.  Some provinces have rectified their mistake(ie. Quecbec, Saskatchewan and Alberta).  I think that Ontario will follow at some point, but who knows when.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Some people who went against the recommendation of NACI and waited for the same dose are very smug now and have no empathy for the people who followed the recommendations.  Some provinces have rectified their mistake(ie. Quecbec, Saskatchewan and Alberta).  I think that Ontario will follow at some point, but who knows when.

I know in Ottawa there were a few clinics that had people "shopping" for Pfizer and when they found out it was Moderna they left.

There were news reports about people making multiple appts at pharmacies since the pharmacies weren't sure what vaccines they were getting.

1 hour ago, archer_310 said:

With the news yesterday about the US recommending US travelers don't go to Canada, I'm now expecting the border to stay closed past Sept 21.  That's my last option to get to the US to get a 3rd shot before our Oct. 31 cruise.  Hopefully Ford will bend on this now that another Conservative gov't is bending.

I'm in the  same boat accept my cruise is October 24 lol

• Like 1

I just got my third dose yesterday, so now I have AZ- Pfizer-Pfizer. I am convinced that I was fully vaccinated before that, but now I definitely am. 

I feel fine, except for a sore arm. 

We have a b2b in late January, out of Galveston. Still on the fence about cancelling. The possible requirement to have a 48 hour test might be the straw.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

It was not a mistake and characterizing it as such is wrong headed. The characterization ignores the full context of the decision and suggests there was a "correct" decision, a decision that would not have potentially imperiled hundreds of thousands, possibly millions.

I've given up on Ontario's management of the situation. It seems that ideology has as much or more sway in decision making.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broberts said:

It was not a mistake and characterizing it as such is wrong headed. The characterization ignores the full context of the decision and suggests there was a "correct" decision, a decision that would not have potentially imperiled hundreds of thousands, possibly millions.

I've given up on Ontario's management of the situation. It seems that ideology has as much or more sway in decision making.

I agree with you on your last point. 

17 hours ago, XLVIII said:

😀😀😀

This is GREAT news for us as we are in Alberta and my husband has a mixed dose (AZ/Pfizer).  We were booked out of San Juan in Feb 2022 and were panicking a little.  So we were so happy to see this news yesterday.  We were able to get him booked into our pharmacy for another Pfizer shot.  I was beginning to think AB wouldn't come around - there is hope yet!  Thanks for sharing and happy crusing fellow Canadians!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

I agree 100%. The decisions to lengthen the time between shots and to allow mixed vaccinations were both intended to reduce cases, reduce the number of patients flooding hospitals, and to reduce the number of deaths. And ultimately, to help beat back COVID-19. These decisions were based on a medical imperative, not the possible short term impact on leisure activities.

I completely sympathize with those who find themselves currently with a full vaccination not recognized in all countries, but at the same time, there's no doubt that the lives of Canadians must always take precedence over holiday travel outside our country.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Getting a 3rd Dose or booster doesn't make a difference in the eyes of the CDC unless you are able to be within the 28 days to 6 weeks dose protocols.  So if your last does more than 6 weeks ago, sorry to say but you are still considered "unvaccinated".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xcell said:

Getting a 3rd Dose or booster doesn't make a difference in the eyes of the CDC unless you are able to be within the 28 days to 6 weeks dose protocols.  So if your last does more than 6 weeks ago, sorry to say but you are still considered "unvaccinated".

I believe that is the case only if you mix vaccines.   If you have two pfizer or two moderna, that is not the case...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Each cruise line has interpreted that rule differently.

So before rushing out to get a 3rd dose you should read your specific cruise line's website regading vaccination to see if there is specific language about the interval between doses.

Most are o.k with a long interval as long as it's the same vaccine (Pfizer/Pfizer, Moderna/Moderna, Astra Zeneca/Astra Zeneca).

48 minutes ago, wetcoast said:

Hopefully BC follows soon... Just over a week until my final payment date. Otherwise i may book a Carnival cruise, they are ok with Pfizer/Moderna mix

Carnival???

You know, Cruiseoholics anonymous has a 12 step programme for people like you. 😁 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1