Cruising out of San Francisco

dfencecoach

Pre Covid, it was doable, but pretty tight. A foggy day, for example, could ruin your flight schedule. If you are going to try it, can you be amongst the first off, (like due to elite status or cabin level) and pre-arrange transport to be ready to go? 

What time does it showing you docking?

6 minutes ago, dfencecoach said:

We will be cruising out of San Francisco next summer on Carnival Miracle.  Will we have time to exit the ship and catch a plane departing at 11:36?  Thanks for any information you can provide. 

I live in the Bay Area and traffic can be horrible especially if there is a accident.  And lately, weekends appears to be worse than weekdays.  

During the summer months is when the fog really comes in the late afternoon and burns off late morning.  It’s our welcomed natural air conditioning. 😊

• Like 1

Its been 30 years since I was in SF but I remember the fog. 

We hope to cruise out of SF next year - and will probably be flying in from Hawaii. Which airport / time of day is best to have the best chance of avoiding fog-related flight delays?  

Yes we will arrive a few days early! 

23 minutes ago, lissie said:

We hope to cruise out of SF next year - and will probably be flying in from Hawaii. Which airport / time of day is best to have the best chance of avoiding fog-related flight delays?  

If you want to avoid fog and other weather delays definitely fly out of Oakland. 

• Like 1

Have flown in and out of SFO for over 30 years. Yes, fog is a problem at times, particularly for ships docking at the cruise terminal area. Very little  for flying into SFO. If you are worried,  fly in the day before,  as Hawaii flights arrive in the evening,  and fog is almost never a problem  then ( have flown in from Hawaii over 30 times...NEVER delayed.)

Departures out of SFO to Hawaii tend to be around 9am ( not going to make those coming iff a ship) and 11am -4pm....much less likely impacted by fog.

Heary rain storms cause more delays than fog, but those are far fewer days than fog.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, lissie said:

If you decide to fly out of SF, I would recommend a good layover between flights if there is any delays.  One hour layover is too tight and would recommend at least two hours.  It also gives to you time to have a celebration cocktail on your vacation. 🙂 

23 hours ago, THIS IS US! said:

I agree fly out of Oakland. If you are set on SFO you could also take the Bart but either way you need to be first group off and it will be tight. I would take a later flight and not feel stressed after such a great relaxing cruise.

I agree that flying out of Oakland has less delays.  It is a nice airport with BART access. 

22 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have flown in and out of SFO for over 30 years. Yes, fog is a problem at times, particularly for ships docking at the cruise terminal area. Very little  for flying into SFO. If you are worried,  fly in the day before,  as Hawaii flights arrive in the evening,  and fog is almost never a problem  then ( have flown in from Hawaii over 30 times...NEVER delayed.)

Departures out of SFO to Hawaii tend to be around 9am ( not going to make those coming iff a ship) and 11am -4pm....much less likely impacted by fog.

Heary rain storms cause more delays than fog, but those are far fewer days than fog.

Fog is usually in the early morning or at night.  The airplanes have to depart and land via IFR which is down to one runway vs two during VFR rules.  (We don't want airplanes to bump into each other. 😉 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 12:14 PM, CruiserBruce said:

No we're coming from New Zealand - so will have flown to  Hawaii on a one/way ticket - and then thinking of spending a few days in Oahu on the way to SF as we've never been 

6 hours ago, whirlybird3 said:

If you decide to fly out of SF, I would recommend a good layover between flights if there is any delays.  One hour layover is too tight and would recommend at least two hours.  It also gives to you time to have a celebration cocktail on your vacation. 🙂 

I agree that flying out of Oakland has less delays.  It is a nice airport with BART access. 

Fog is usually in the early morning or at night.  The airplanes have to depart and land via IFR which is down to one runway vs two during VFR rules.  (We don't want airplanes to bump into each other. 😉 

I'd never thought of Oakland - Southwest seems to be the most popular carrier from there? They look good - particularly as we have checked luggage thanks to going on a cruise!  

No we won't fly in - if the cruise is cancelled - we will head to Europe via Singapore 

On 9/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, lissie said:

I'd never thought of Oakland - Southwest seems to be the most popular carrier from there? They look good - particularly as we have checked luggage thanks to going on a cruise!  

No we won't fly in - if the cruise is cancelled - we will head to Europe via Singapore 

Southwest is a VERY popular airline in Oakland.  It is easy to catch a Uber/Lyft from the airport to the cruise port.  If you only have carry-on luggage and feel adventurous, BART to the Embarcadero in SF, then a classic street car to the cruise port. 

1 hour ago, whirlybird3 said:

Southwest is a VERY popular airline in Oakland.  It is easy to catch a Uber/Lyft from the airport to the cruise port.  If you only have carry-on luggage and feel adventurous, BART to the Embarcadero in SF, then a classic street car to the cruise port. 

Just an FYI, you can take BART from SFO to the very same Embarcadero station, and either walk ( it's a mile) or take the historic trolley. Taking the trolley is NOT recommended if you have checked bags.

8 hours ago, whirlybird3 said:

I would normally do BART - but we'll have at least one checked bag between us as we have  to pack for 2 longish Cunard cruises (36 and 20 days) so need formal wear.  We'll  spring  for a uber probably. 

We will be staying a few days in SF - my partner hasn't been there and I've not been there for 30 years and its a cool city. Will probably stay somewhere near Embarcadero  -from memory that's an OK neighbourhood ? 

Edited by lissie

On 9/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, lissie said:

Its been 30 years since....

You really should have started a new topic, rather than hijacking dfencecoach's topic.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, lissie said:

I'd never thought of Oakland - Southwest seems to be the most popular

I think Southwest is a miserable airline. I fly them as little as possible. If I was going to OAK I'd use Hawaiian Airlines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 9:23 AM, whirlybird3 said:

Yes that's adventuresome.  Especially since you'd have to take a tram from Oakland Airport to Coliseum Bart Station to Embarcadero then walk or catch F Bus to terminal. It only takes 45 minutes. But do-able if you only have carry-on

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, dfencecoach said:

We will be cruising out of San Francisco next summer on Carnival Miracle.  Will we have time to exit the ship and catch a plane departing at 11:36?  Thanks for any information you can provide. 

I wouldn't try it.  We came back from an Alaska cruise to SF and due to fog weren't allowed into the bay until after 1130 hrs.  That was early September.  SF fog can come and go as it wants any time of the year.  A lot is based on the hot air inland and cool air on the coast.  Couple that with SF traffic, I wouldn't do a flight until after 1300 hrs.  

• 2 weeks later...