MERGED - New Cancellations/Changes Announced for QM2 2nd September

Gretchendz

1 hour ago, Lesanne said:

Just had a call from our TA to tell us that this cruise has been extended by 2 days, we now leave Southampton on the 13th December arrive New York on the 20th. Leaving on the 22nd as scheduled, due to ship inspections for entry into North American waters. Do not know if we can get off for the 2 days in NYC.

this is my exact concern. i just spent twenty minutes on hold with cunard. will try again later or tomorrow. i would hate to be in NYC and not be free to explore. the email mentioned excursions but was vague and implied we will not know until November.

17 minutes ago, Tplusthree said:

this is my exact concern. i just spent twenty minutes on hold with cunard. will try again later or tomorrow. i would hate to be in NYC and not be free to explore. the email mentioned excursions but was vague and implied we will not know until November.

Just read the email from Cunard and it states the below

You will now have an extended time in New York, with the ship arriving on 20 December 2021, staying berthed overnight on 20 and 21 December. Whilst there, we'll be offering a full programme of organised and vetted shore experiences allowing you the opportunity to explore the city. In addition, we are hopeful that come November it will also be possible to go ashore independently. Following these two additional nights in New York, your itinerary will continue as scheduled, departing for the Caribbean on 22 December. 

2 hours ago, eroller said:

To my knowledge any passenger ship entering the North America market for the first time is subject to a 14 day quarantine.  This is not something new and was already in place when Cunard made the last set of itinerary changes and cancellations.  Perhaps they just thought the requirement would go away?  Not likely considering the current state of Covid in the US.

Interesting that the 22 Dec departure from NYC is still on as planned, with just 2 days added in Brooklyn for a health inspection of some sort. I'm assuming (for now) that this means Cunard is aware of some sort of new process following the end of the current conditional sale order (currently stated as 1 Nov 2021).

Unless, of course, they're totally ignoring the current published guidance that requires any ship operating in US waters to sail without passengers for 14 days prior to entry. This guidance is completely incompatible with how QM2 sails so perhaps they've worked out something unique. According to RCCL, the CDC says they're "currently evaluating the need for options as ships want to reposition to the U.S. in the fall."

Edited by Underwatr

I feel sorry for all of you who have had your cruises on QM2 but at least you now know what is happening. We are booked on the Dec 15 sailing and I have so many questions?  As UK citizens we are not yet allowed in to the US - does Cunard know something we don't? Will we be tested on arrival in the US before disembarking as is currently required? What will we do for 2 days on board in NY? I'm not sure I want to go on an excursion where I am stuck on a bus. And finally who thinks this sailing will also be cancelled?

14 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Interesting that the 22 Dec departure from NYC is still on as planned, with just 2 days added in Brooklyn for a health inspection of some sort. I'm assuming (for now) that this means Cunard is aware of some sort of new process following the end of the current conditional sale order (currently stated as 1 Nov 2021).

Unless, of course, they're totally ignoring the current published guidance that requires any ship operating in US waters to sail without passengers for 14 days prior to entry. This guidance is completely incompatible with how QM2 sails so perhaps they've worked out something unique. According to RCCL, the CDC says they're "currently evaluating the need for options as ships want to reposition to the U.S. in the fall."

Yes it’s difficult to say, but I do feel Cunard’s excuse for the QM2 cancelations is hogwash.  This CDC requirement has been in place even back when Cunard originally rescheduled all their cruises.  They must have known about it and I’m guessing they assumed they might be exempt or that it would be rescinded by the time they sailed.  

In Cunard’s defense so many CDC requirements and initiatives these days are vague and conflicting.  Also I’m not sure I fully understand the 14 day quarantine requirement and what loopholes there may be.  QM2 may fit into one of those loopholes or maybe not, in which case I expect more cancellations.  It would be nice if Cunard got their ducks in a row before finalizing itineraries.  

1 hour ago, samarai27 said:

I feel sorry for all of you who have had your cruises on QM2 but at least you now know what is happening. We are booked on the Dec 15 sailing and I have so many questions?  As UK citizens we are not yet allowed in to the US - does Cunard know something we don't? Will we be tested on arrival in the US before disembarking as is currently required? What will we do for 2 days on board in NY? I'm not sure I want to go on an excursion where I am stuck on a bus. And finally who thinks this sailing will also be cancelled?

I imagine Cunard are hoping the US border reopens to UK/Schengen arrivals by then. But I doubt they know any more than we do. There’s been a lot of chatter about dates but absolutely nothing concrete.

If the border stays closed I would expect the newly rescheduled Dec 13th sailing to be cancelled as well.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

Regarding the cancelled November 14th voyage, which I was booked on, Cunard is offering a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit.  SInce this was rolled over from a cancelled 2020 voyage, I will roll it over as an FCC again.

35 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

Regarding the cancelled November 14th voyage, which I was booked on, Cunard is offering a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit.  SInce this was rolled over from a cancelled 2020 voyage, I will roll it over as an FCC again.

As i am reading it, if it was paid for with an FCC from a cancelled cruise, you don't get the 125%, as you have already had it once with the previous cancellation. We are in the same position. Will still roll it over, but slightly annoyed we don't get the 125% for this cancelled cruise, although I can understand why.

Disappointed but not surprised, given the vague and changing Covid requirements for ships and passengers.  We were to have done back-to-back-to-back starting in Brooklyn Dec. 3.  Today we are working with our TA for hold our booking for Dec. 15 (now Dec. 13!) and find a way to get to the UK to board the ship.  And like others, I am not entirely certain that the ship will sail.

5 hours ago, eroller said:

Yes it’s difficult to say, but I do feel Cunard’s excuse for the QM2 cancelations is hogwash.

The excuse does beg the question - does QM2 have any "initial few voyages... closer to home" with the revised schedule?

• Like 1

As an aside, I received a call earlier this week from Cunard (UK, judging by the accent) asking with a touch of urgency (they couldn't quickly reach my TA) that my traveling companion provide her contact details in the booking at her earliest convenience.

I don't think they're done tweaking the schedule...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The excuse does beg the question - does QM2 have any "initial few voyages... closer to home" with the revised schedule?

I'm waiting to see if there's something offered closer to home - I work in Banking and must take two weeks leave as part of the FCA regs and the Caribbean cruise covered that, now I'm looking for a replacement as I don't want to be sat in the house wasting two weeks holiday. I wonder if they'll do a Canaries cruise or something similar - I'd be up for that

and yet they are still advertising the jan 3, 2021 cruise NYC to Southampton which will most likely be cancelled.  Yet my balance is due in a couple of days and they will accept it knowing  the likelihood the cruise will be cancelled. The covid situation is only going to get worse by January. If  I dont pay my balance they get to keep my deposit. (guaranteed booking) $214 may not be much to one person but they will get a lot out of many in the same position. Not only that, the fare for the Jan 3rd voyage is higher than what I paid months ago (not too much higher but higher nevertheless)  Many  that could cancel without a loss most likely have.  

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

and yet they are still advertising the jan 3, 2021 cruise NYC to Southampton which will most likely be cancelled.  Yet my balance is due in a couple of days and they will accept it knowing  the likelihood the cruise will be cancelled. The covid situation is only going to get worse by January. If  I dont pay my balance they get to keep my deposit. (guaranteed booking) $214 may not be much to one person but they will get a lot out of many in the same position. Not only that, the fare for the Jan 3rd voyage is higher than what I paid months ago (not too much higher but higher nevertheless)  Many  that could cancel without a loss most likely have.  

If Q. Mary does not make that trip on Jan 3rd, she will be in the wrong place for the to and from Germany then Jan14th Caribbean cruise from Southampton (which I am booked on). I too have to pay the final payment within a couple of weeks and if there is no further news I will pay it and get the full refund back some time next year if the cruise doesn't go. This is our third Caribbean cruise attempt and after two cancellations we are determined to stick with it until the plug is or isn't pulled!

Gotta question🤔 I was booked on the Dec 3 TA round trip with the Xmas Markets in between. Now I’m still booked on the now Dec. 13 W’bound-ok-looking forward to being on the Atlantic in winter. BUT what are the rules for those of us who are fully vaccinated and who will be transiting directly from LHR to the ship; as of now we (USA) are Amber. 🤔 Anybody know where to find a definite answer?

1 hour ago, canoncruiser said:

Gotta question🤔 I was booked on the Dec 3 TA round trip with the Xmas Markets in between. Now I’m still booked on the now Dec. 13 W’bound-ok-looking forward to being on the Atlantic in winter. BUT what are the rules for those of us who are fully vaccinated and who will be transiting directly from LHR to the ship; as of now we (USA) are Amber. 🤔 Anybody know where to find a definite answer?

We tried to research this as we are in the same situation.  The best we could find was that, as of yesterday, one would need a negative Covid test immediately before flying to the UK.  But I firmly believe that this situation is fluid and the requirements will change several times before December.  If you book this, make sure you can get a refund or credit for your air fare to the UK as you may have to cancel due to Covid restrictions, and be personally prepared for changes so that your heart won't be broken.

We are booked on the December 15 crossing, so this shortens our time in London and gives us too much time in New York at the other end (especially given we might be limited to canard organized sure excursions/“stuck” in Brooklyn) No matter, we are keeping original air reservations in place. I think things will continue to change between now and December 13, so I am not planning on spending a lot of time rebooking and re-paying for airline space.

Has anyone seen a deadline to make a decision for asking for a FCC or refund? Looks like our booking has already been transferred to the new sailing dates.

6 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

We are booked on the December 15 crossing, so this shortens our time in London and gives us too much time in New York at the other end (especially given we might be limited to canard organized sure excursions/“stuck” in Brooklyn) No matter, we are keeping original air reservations in place. I think things will continue to change between now and December 13, so I am not planning on spending a lot of time rebooking and re-paying for airline space.

Has anyone seen a deadline to make a decision for asking for a FCC or refund? Looks like our booking has already been transferred to the new sailing dates.

TAs have been told (for cruises of 30 days or less departing before Dec. 31)

They can cancel their voyage without incurring a cancelation fee when cancelation is made outside of the final payment due date.:

Cruise Cancellation Guarantee | Book Your Cruise with Confidence | Cunard

Edited by Gretchendz

On 9/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, bbtablet said:

If Q. Mary does not make that trip on Jan 3rd, she will be in the wrong place for the to and from Germany then Jan14th Caribbean cruise from Southampton (which I am booked on).

This is getting into speculation, but the only way the 3 Jan eastbound is canceled is if the 13 Dec Caribbean trip itself is canceled (particularly since the 3 Jan eastbound is how the majority of people booked from Southampton on 13 Dec are supposed to get home).
But that entire itinerary assumes that the US CDC will change the requirements for ships calling on US ports between now and December. As they're currently being implemented the CDC requirements don't provide for QM2's point-to-point passenger-carrying itinerary.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, ace2542 said:

If you where indeed as you put it trapped on the ship for 2 days. Would that be legal given you are U.S citizen? That is just a question for the discussion.

I think they are giving us the option of disembarking upon arrival in New York, so the stay on the ship for the extra two days would be optional. I just don’t relish the thought of being captive to their shore excursions, nor spending two days looking across the water to Manhattan without being able to go there independently. 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, Lesanne said:

Just had a call from our TA to tell us that this cruise has been extended by 2 days, we now leave Southampton on the 13th December arrive New York on the 20th. Leaving on the 22nd as scheduled, due to ship inspections for entry into North American waters. Do not know if we can get off for the 2 days in NYC.

Yes. You may leave. I spoke with my TA and she spoke with Cunard. It’s a ship inspection not a quarantine. The ship is our hotel for 2 nights. We are free to roam the city! I’m waitlisted for this voyage and the other in December. Praying we get on! So gutted to be cancelled on! 

We received an email from the TA and an email from Cunard and it just wrecked our week. We were sooooo looking forward to it and soooo need a break. We hope we will make it on board one of the 2 voyages in December. Has anyone received confirmation of their being able to move over? We are waitlisted so no clue. We are dying with anticipation.