New quarantine requirements in Netherlands??

Psoque

Hi.  I just read a few news snippets about Netherlands requiring quarantine for visitors from “very high-risk” countries, including US starting sometime this month.  I wonder if this is going to affect the Rhine river cruises that originate/terminate in Netherlands?  I guess things are still changing quickly.

Just heard the news here about the Netherlands putting Germany on the high risk list. From next week you need full vaccination, recovered status or test to enter from Germany. And there is a form you need to fill in for air travel into the Netherlands. Leaving from Amsterdam towards Germany I am not sure what is required for entry by land.

I would contact the river cruise line and check the respective government websites for details.

Things are getting a bit awkward here, but it is mainly to do with school children and young people driving up the incidence rate. All students from a certain age have regular tests, so we find many positives with them having just returned from the Summer break.

There may be restrictions on indoor places for groups. Be prepared. If you are looking forward to visiting a location, see if you can or have to book ahead online. Again, check with the cruise line what changes there may be.

notamermaid

I’m looking at the Netherland’s official website about this new change effective September 4, 2021.  It appears that the mandatory quarantine is applicable to even those who are properly vaccinated.

Edited by Psoque
Fixed a typo

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

I’m looking at the Netherland’s official website about this new change effective September 4, 2021.  It appears that the mandatory quarantine is applicable to even those who are properly vaccinated.

I just read a FB post written by a person who will be taking an Avalon Rhine river cruise starting in Amsterdam.  Avalon notified them that there will be no sightseeing in Amsterdam since the Netherlands is requiring travelers from the US to leave the country within 24 hours or be subject to a 10 day quarantine.  Avalon is adding a stop somewhere on the Rhine instead.  I'm sure all other lines are scrambling to find alternatives as well.

2 hours ago, KathyK13 said:

I just read a FB post written by a person who will be taking an Avalon Rhine river cruise starting in Amsterdam.  Avalon notified them that there will be no sightseeing in Amsterdam since the Netherlands is requiring travelers from the US to leave the country within 24 hours or be subject to a 10 day quarantine.  Avalon is adding a stop somewhere on the Rhine instead.  I'm sure all other lines are scrambling to find alternatives as well.

Correction, US travelers are required to leave the country within 12 hours of arrival!  I hope cruise lines are notifying cruisers immediately; we usually arrive in the embarkation location at least 2 days ahead of time to allow for us to get over jet lag and do some touring on our own before the cruise.  Not sure what we would do in this case, maybe take the train to Belgium and then come back?

• Like 1

Just now, Second seating said:

Our December trip is looking like it is not going to happen!  We were planning on flying into Amsterdam for a few days of seeing friends and visiting museums! Then off to Brugge by train...

Second seating

I'm hoping (although my hopes are diminishing) that within the next few months infections here decline and US travelers are able to gain entry with no restrictions other than proof of vaccination.  We are supposed to fly into Budapest 12/3, and spend a few days before our Vienna to Nuremberg cruise.  Right now Budapest has restrictions similar to Amsterdam's.  We have until October 22 to decide if we want to postpone until next year.

It's going to be a crazy ride, unfortunately, for those who are scheduled to take a cruise out of Amsterdam or to Amsterdam, at least for the next few weeks.  I'm hoping, selfishly, that things will be more predictable by November, but I am not really counting on it.

I am sailing out of Lisbon next month.  My return trip home goes from Lisbon to Amsterdam then back here to the states.......hoping I am allowed in (so I can fly home)......I know the ship will test me before I disembark so hopefully AMS will accept those results.😲

We leave one week from today for our Rhine cruise.

Starting in Basel & ending in Amsterdam.  I'll be OK with swapping a day of tours in Amsterdam for something else further upstream since we just took an extended trip in Amsterdam recently.

Curious if our ship is required to arrive a day later in AMS, what will be substituted?

Extra day in Germany?  Land tour?

1 hour ago, KathyK13 said:

I'm hoping (although my hopes are diminishing) that within the next few months infections here decline and US travelers are able to gain entry with no restrictions other than proof of vaccination.  We are supposed to fly into Budapest 12/3, and spend a few days before our Vienna to Nuremberg cruise.  Right now Budapest has restrictions similar to Amsterdam's.  We have until October 22 to decide if we want to postpone until next year.

Budapest is lovely all decked out for Christmas!

Second seating

• Like 1

I'm supposed to take a cruise from Amsterdam embarking Dec. 6.  My flights are booked and I was planning on spending 3 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam.  Guess that's not going to happen, because I'm not going to spend my time there sitting in a hotel room.  

What a mess!  Fly in the day of embarkation?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm supposed to take a cruise from Amsterdam embarking Dec. 6.  My flights are booked and I was planning on spending 3 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam.  Guess that's not going to happen, because I'm not going to spend my time there sitting in a hotel room.  

What a mess!  Fly in the day of embarkation?

Hi Roz, it is a mess but in my opinion, I would never fly across the pond the same day as the cruise.

(that is just me).......too many variables besides your body clock.........at least get there 1 day early.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ncmom1 said:

So does anyone think other countries will put in similar restrictions?

Who knows?........this Delta Variant will tell the tale. We all just have to keep up with what is happening. 

15 minutes ago, ncmom1 said:

So does anyone think other countries will put in similar restrictions?

The fact the EU changed their recommendations last week, I would think all countries are seriously looking at their options and decisions will be forthcoming. 

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am sailing out of Lisbon next month.  My return trip home goes from Lisbon to Amsterdam then back here to the states.......hoping I am allowed in (so I can fly home)......I know the ship will test me before I disembark so hopefully AMS will accept those results.😲

If you´re only in transit at the airport you should be fine.

steamboats

I read that Italy has put the US on the same list as UK - which means that you have to be fully vaccinated and provide a test.

For Germany there won´t be any change as US is on the high risk list since Aug 15th. Fully vaccinated travelers from the US only have to fill in the online form ahead of entering Germany (not sure if this is valid for river cruises too).

steamboats

As you say  @steamboats the US are already on the "red list" for Germany so there is no worsening due to the new EU recommendation. For fully vaccinated river cruisers I guess this just means the standard paperwork like land travel? The river cruise lines will know.

It will be possible to reroute through Brussels airport and Belgium, possibly via the Meuse or go straight to Düsseldorf or reroute to Cologne.

Viking could add their new port Wesel instead of Kinderdijk.

Quite a few options but Amsterdam possibly being out of bounds it will be quite a logistical reshuffle and an itinerary that is really different (Arnhem and Nijmegen are also out).

What a blow to plans.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, conman said:

Well we were just notified that our Amsterdam departure will now be out of Emmerich, GE.  Looks like a 1.5 hour train ride from Amsterdam.  Definitely a bummer.  

@conmanwhat cruise line and what itinerary?