Just back from Uniworld's Grand France

Babcia7

We just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in France on Uniworld's Grand France cruise. On the first week we were on board the Joie de Vivre cruising the Seine, and enjoying the sights from Paris to Normandy.  There were only 55 passengers on the ship.  We were all given the royal treatment, and by the second day most of the crew knew us by name.  This was our 6th cruise with Uniworld, and we found that they continue to be a class act. All passengers on board were fully vaccinated, and the covid protocols that we followed did not diminish the quality of the trip.  In fact, the measures taken by Uniworld, and enforced in France made us feel less at risk about taking this trip. 

We took the high speed train to Lyon for the second week of our trip aboard the SS Catherine, along with 12 others from the Joie de Vivre who opted for the Grand France itinerary. There were only 45 passengers on the Catherine.  Again, we were treated like royalty, but also like family. We had met several of the staff and crew on previous cruises and it was fun to re-connect.

Our guides ranged from good to great, and some were the best we've ever had on any trip.  They, as well as the Uniworld staff, were all so appreciative of all of us passengers willing to travel and expressed their gratitude repeatedly.  

Even in these uncertain times of covid, our trip was amazing and we look forward to sailing with Uniworld again.

• Like 4

In Viviers, we had an amazing experience with our guide, Francis.  Great walking tour, but the highlight was being invited into her home and having wine, cheese and sausages in her terrace.  We were blown away by the Ponte de Gard in Avignon. Also enjoyed the Olive farm tour and tasting...

• Like 3

What a nice trip that must have been! We've sailed on the SS Catherine's Rhone itinerary and really loved that trip. Glad it's still as nice as we remember.

Question - were you able to obtain the elusive and highly coveted "passe sanitaire" for France? If so, did you obtain it by testing upon arrival, or did you have your US CDC vaccination card converted?

Asking because we're supposed to fly into Nice in a week for a cruise around Corsica. In order to enter the port area to embark, we need the passe sanitaire. The application process has been anything but smooth. 😉

We are on the S.S. Catherine. They checked passports and CDC cards. We also filled out a health form. Our rooms were ready a little after 3:00. There are about 100 people on board. I also have my pass sanitaire but my husband wasn't as lucky. He needed to get an Antigen test to enter the restaurants and museums in Lyon. It is easy to get a test but it costs about 30 euros. The QR code he received is good for 3 days.

We spent three days at the Intercontinental Hotel Dieu which is walking distance to the quai where the boat is docked. We still took an Uber because of our luggage. The historic hotel is beautiful and the staff were very friendly. It is close to Vieux Lyon (Old Lyon), shopping and wonderful restaurants.  

Highlights of our days in Lyon include Fourviere Hill with Notre Dame Basilica and The Roman Theaters, the traboules and St.Jean Cathedral in Old Lyon, and the Resistance and Deportation History Center. I'll try to add photos later. We loved Lyon! Time to explore the boat!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

What a nice trip that must have been! We've sailed on the SS Catherine's Rhone itinerary and really loved that trip. Glad it's still as nice as we remember.

Question - were you able to obtain the elusive and highly coveted "passe sanitaire" for France? If so, did you obtain it by testing upon arrival, or did you have your US CDC vaccination card converted?

Asking because we're supposed to fly into Nice in a week for a cruise around Corsica. In order to enter the port area to embark, we need the passe sanitaire. The application process has been anything but smooth. 😉

I was able to get my "Passe Sanitaire" online before we left for France, but my husband's pass never came through, even though we received confirmation that they received our request.  Several other passengers had the same experience. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

My husband would love a holiday home in Viviers and considering he’s not that enamoured of the French it says a lot about how wonderful it is and how nice the inhabitants are.

Here in the US we've often heard about the 'unfriendly French' but we found that to not be our experience. We found the welcome to be as warm as possible. 

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Here in the US we've often heard about the 'unfriendly French' but we found that to not be our experience. We found the welcome to be as warm as possible. 

Paul

Agree! A little French, even if spoken with a bad American accent, still goes a long way.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Paul

Also agree. DH and I have always found the French to be quite warm and friendly people. 

• Like 2

Wings55 & terry&mike we’ve learnt over the years that away from Paris the French are lovely people especially the further South you travel. Although on our Seine cruise apart from one rather strange tour guide we couldn’t have asked for a better reception. Many moons ago travelling by scooter through France (2 scooters 2 girls and it was the 60s)to Spain we stopped to ask directions form a rather gorgeous gendarme when a woman passing spat at us for what reason I don’t know but the gendarme arrested her, the whole event was curious. 

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few pictures from Day 2 of the cruise, Beaune and Chateau de Rully in Bourgogne/Burgundy. We took about an hour bus ride to Beaune. Our first tour was the Hotel-Dieu, a hospital for the poor, established in 1443. We could have stayed in the beautiful town of Beaune for lunch but opted for the tour (for an additional cost) of the Chateau de Rully for a wine tasting, lunch and a tour of the chateau by the charming Count Rully, who lives there with his family. The chateau has been in his family's possession for 26 generations. 

jpalbany - lol, I picked my screen name from a hamburger place on St. John, USVI

Hoteldeville.jpg

hoteldevillebed.jpg

Beaunebuilding.jpg

Chateau1.jpg

Wine cellar.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 6:23 PM, Babcia7 said:

In Viviers, we had an amazing experience with our guide, Francis.  Great walking tour, but the highlight was being invited into her home and having wine, cheese and sausages in her terrace

This brings back such a wonderful memory!  We did this itinerary in 2019, and I would say that one of the highlights of our trip (or any trip for that matter) was our visit to Francis' house.  This house is incredible and has such an interesting history.  Francis is so gracious to allow us to tour through her house, and besides that, she is an absolute hoot, one of the best tour guides that we have ever had.

We had Francis as our guide the previous day, I think it was Bourne?  At any rate, we enjoyed her so much, when we got off the ship in Viviers, we spotted her and made sure we were in her group.  In Viviers, one of the features is a local visit, but I think that Francis is the only guide that brings her group to a home.

@skinnylegs, if you can manage to get in Francis' group in Viviers, (in Bourne as well), you'll be glad that you did!

Bob

• Like 1