January crossing Bay of Biscay?

djwcruisejunkie

I'm hoping that the collective Cunard wisdom can help me out. We are considering booking Jan 6 on QE as our 25th anniversary is on Jan 7th. That particular day is a sea day and crossing the Bay of Biscay. Does anyone here have experience of the crossing in January, particularly on the Queen Elizabeth? I would be grateful for any information on both the crossing and visiting the Atlantic Coast and Canaries in Jan. 

Thanks 

Not January, but have crossed BoB quite a few times in November and December on both QE and QV. Indeed, we are booked for 1 November this year, 2 weeks Madeira/Canaries.

The weather ashore has mostly been warmish (tee shirts), but also had torrential rain in Tenerife two years ago. 

BoB is a lottery. It can be flat calm or lumpy at any time of year. We don't really mind either way.

Just go for it! 🙂

Stewart

First of all we are booked on that cruise. 

Partially answering your questions. 

Bay of Biscay - we crossed B of B  4x in Nov / Dec 2019 when we went to the Canaries and Atlantic Coast both on Queen Victoria,  back to back. A bit bumpy but thought that was ok. 

Atlantic coast - Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar - dolphin watching in Gibraltar, walked last 5km of Camino,  and visited the Alhambra. Weather was sunny and 20c. Walked around Lisbon wanted a picture of the famous yellow trams, lots of Cunarders walking and lunch in Hard Rock with many Cunarders. 

Canaries - flew to Tenerife New Year and Jan number of years ago - warm wind for 3 days then full on sunshine. 

Lanzarote - flew and caught cold / chest infection whilst on aircraft (now have flu jab), apart from feeling unwell Lanzarote was fine weather just need to like volcanoes. 

Canaries cruise x 2 both December - weather sunny and 20c, snow on Mt Teide at one visit. Madeira walked to cable car and went to the gardens at Monte, walked from ship about 50 mins walk and gardens delightful. Lanzarote did a volcano walk - really quite tame no scrambling or climbing but you are walking on cinder / volcanic ash for 2 hours,  pace leisurely as I was able to photograph the walk.  Tenerife went to Mt Teide as wanted snow on the peak after a number of visits finally captured the image. 

In conclusion we like the Canaries and that is why we are hopefully sailing on 6 Jan 2022 provided everything is ok - sars covid 19, no flu and hopefully no great dumping of snow in UK. 

Derek.  

Evening @djwcruisejunkie

We’ve done QV on the equivalent itinerary just before Crimbo. Both Vista class ships. 
GO FOR IT. 
Ok.  It may get a bit bouncy, but that just adds to the fun!! It’s a ship, not a hotel!!

But then again you could have a smooth ride! All in the lap of the Gods. 
If you’re comfortable and happy to do so, may I suggest avoiding ships trips.  
Do your homework and you can sort your own excursions and save a bomb, plus be in smaller groups. 
On Lanz Cueva de los Verdes is well worth a look.  Hire a car on the quay and have a good drive about the island! 
The cable car and toboggan in Funchal you can walk to. And back. Easy peasy. 
Or a days off road 4x4 from Funchal is brill!! 
DO IT! You’ll have a great time, and a good break in lovely weather after the ‘festive’ season !

Cheers!

Mr. H. 

20 hours ago, Mickb said:

Have crossed Biscay 4 times in January. Twice - absolutely horrendous 

0nce - rough but fun, once - flat calm.

it’s a lottery - if you are bad sailors - think very carefully 

This is so helpful, thank you. I have crossed Cook Straits when furniture & people were flying every which way & been fine, then anchored off Monaco with a light swell and was as sick as a parrot! 

Unfortunately since then I have developed a condition where my balance is compromised and I cant fly, so cruising from UK is the only option and so the possibility of a bad crossing is making me think.  

Thanks everyone. 

18 minutes ago, djwcruisejunkie said:

Unfortunately since then I have developed a condition where my balance is compromised and I cant fly, so cruising from UK is the only option and so the possibility of a bad crossing is making me think.  

Thanks everyone. 

Don't let that possibility govern you.   Worst case: you could spend the day in bed;  and when you actually consider the odds, that "worst case" rarely occurs.

I do understand - my balance is still OK -- but just off enough to make me accept my wife's contention that two-wheeling was no longer a good idea -- so I gave my Honda to my grandson.

Nov 2019 we had a very bad  , 9 metre  waves (29ft), 45 knot wind crossing. But we were expecting it , firstly  ensured we had a midships  cabin in QE. Secondly looked at wave predictions before we left Southampton and took tablets night before. Two nights out of Southampton mill pond all the way to Capetown. 

We were absolutely fine because  we prepared , so just ensure you are midships,  makes a huge difference, and take tablets before you feel sick.

We crossed in January a few years ago on QV (same ship design as far as I know) enroute to Fort Lauderdale. I don't remember any particuarly bad weather. 

This was 2 days in to the voyage, so presumably somewhere in the Bay of Biscay! 

P1130070.JPG

Agree that BofB can be anything at any time of the year.

Us? - we are booked high up on Deck 11, very near the sharp end of QM2, and doing the North Atlantic both ways in the height of winter. What could possibly go wrong?

If we don't get a good chucking-about I shall feel very cheated!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone for all the help. We have now booked the 6th Jan 2022 voyage on QE 😁💃🎉

This will be for our 25th wedding anniversary, and I have already started a to do list!

If anyone can point me to a roll call for this cruise I would be grateful, as I haven't found it yet. 

Thanks

Deborah