Cruise Shoes - how many is too many?

BoozinCroozin

2 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

They're fine for small amounts of walking....like to and around the pool, or to dinner. I wouldn't wear them all day but I'm not a big crocs fan. They worked for me, when I want multi-use items. I just booked (like yesterday) a Disney cruise the first weekend in December, so I can report back how it worked for walking on a cruise deck.

Thanks for the report -  I should maybe just buy a pair and try them around home this coming summer before taking them on a trip.  I have a really comfortable pair of Teva water sandals that I can walk all day in - but they are  really ugly! 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, jhsocal said:

On a dress up night, do you change shoes or kick off your high heels at some post dinner venue?

Heels every evening, all evening, for me.

From the time we clean up from the day's activities, I will be in heels, mainly so we can dance any time there is an opportunity, before and after dinner, show, etc.

Any heels I pack are comfortable enough to do that, and supportive enough to take care of me even if seas are rough.

One of the cruise moments I love is playing shuffleboard on the outer deck while dressed for the evening, or even just strolling the decks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

From the time we clean up from the day's activities, I will be in heels, mainly so we can dance any time there is an opportunity, before and after dinner, show, etc.

Any heels I pack are comfortable enough to do that, and supportive enough to take care of me even if seas are rough.

One of the cruise moments I love is playing shuffleboard on the outer deck while dressed for the evening, or even just strolling the decks.

I think it's great that you're not a slave to fashion. Even though "high heels" are rapidly going out of style you just continue to enjoy them, girlfriend 🙂

Here's my dressiest shoe these days. Rothy's.

rothys.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:19 AM, shipgeeks said:

On 10/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, jhsocal said:

Envy your ability to wear them all evening. I can wear mid height heels as long as there is some "sit down" time. Know pantyhose are out, did not realize high heels were.

You are correct, high heels are not going out of style.  😂

They are everywhere and with all the new heel shapes they can be more comfortable and sturdy now.

I wear heels all night for all my cruises too. Have been on NCL, RCCL, CCL, HAL and will be going on Celebrity shortly, all since COVID and I enjoy dressing up especially after being locked down! Even on my Alaska HAL or my casual NCL, I dressed up and don’t feel out of place. Others looked good too. 😜

Someone else mentioned Cunard had tap dancing. I wish they had it on our sailing. I would have definitely brought my tap shoes for our 17-night sailing. They had ballroom though and it was lovely. 

• Like 2

Let’s see, my beach flip flops, my closed toe Sketcher (dressy shoe) either white or multicolor (depending on what colors I’m bringing), gold (or black) sandals for evenings (again depending on what colors I’m bringing), my Keen sandals (wear on plane & excursions). My feet swell, terribly, so I’ll also have my trusty Birkenstocks, just in case. 

• Like 1

I am leaving for Alaska a week from tomorrow. Going on a pre cruise land trip to Denali first and have been trying to decide what to bring. I am a long time cruiser so I am good with my choices.....long sleeves, joggers and jeans for daytime.  Black and grey slacks for evenings.(with long sleeved tops)  Denali? That land trip will probably be wearing the same thing for dinner as day.  Really just trying decide about my shoes......for me, as few as possible LOL............hoping for 3 pairs, 4 at the most.

I have been following the weather and it looks like Anchorage is rain and 50's/60s.......will make sure to bring a jacket too........

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am leaving for Alaska a week from tomorrow. Going on a pre cruise land trip to Denali first and have been trying to decide what to bring. I am a long time cruiser so I am good with my choices.....long sleeves, joggers and jeans for daytime.  Black and grey slacks for evenings.(with long sleeved tops)  Denali? That land trip will probably be wearing the same thing for dinner as day.  Really just trying decide about my shoes......for me, as few as possible LOL............hoping for 3 pairs, 4 at the most.

I have been following the weather and it looks like Anchorage is rain and 50's/60s.......will make sure to bring a jacket too........

Denali had measurable snow last week. Personally, I’d waterproof an old pair of sneakers & leave them (thereby more room for souvenirs on way home). Definitely a hooded rain jacket, warm hat & gloves (SmartWool socks a plus), I’d include a fleece vest ( but I get cold easily)

16 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Denali had measurable snow last week. Personally, I’d waterproof an old pair of sneakers & leave them (thereby more room for souvenirs on way home). Definitely a hooded rain jacket, warm hat & gloves (SmartWool socks a plus), I’d include a fleece vest ( but I get cold easily)

Hi Melody🙂........what if I told you I don't have an old pair of sneaks.....? When I was walking on my normal schedule I wore a good pair of New Balance........those are not coming with me....they are a bit bulky.

I will go get a pair of sneakers......and as for leaving them? I don't buy souvenirs so that won't be an issue. And living where I do, I have no desire to buy a fleece vest. I do have plenty of jackets in the closet to choose from......one includes a lined hooded rain jacket so will bring it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody🙂........what if I told you I don't have an old pair of sneaks.....? When I was walking on my normal schedule I wore a good pair of New Balance........those are not coming with me....they are a bit bulky.

I will go get a pair of sneakers......and as for leaving them? I don't buy souvenirs so that won't be an issue. And living where I do, I have no desire to buy a fleece vest. I do have plenty of jackets in the closet to choose from......one includes a lined hooded rain jacket so will bring it. 

Waterproof a cheap pair of Keds, the waterproofing is the important part unless you’re not getting off the bus or ship

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Waterproof a cheap pair of Keds, the waterproofing is the important part unless you’re not getting off the bus or ship

Hi Melody, after trying to find a pair of sneaks that were lightweight and comfy, I gave up and came back home. (but I stopped at Panera's for lunch first). 🙂.....I decided to look more closely at my own shoes and I have a pair of old Earth Origins that will work better than any new shoes....I totally forgot about them. Tried them on and they are a winner😃

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am on my cruise now and ended up only bringing 3 pairs of shoes with me and I am good with them😀 This Alaska sailing is very casual.

Lois, which three did you end up with?

My month in France & Italy was a 3-shoe trip.  Wore my Merrell trail runners on the plane, packed my olu kai hi-tops and olu kai mesh low-tops.  Ended up only wearing the merrells once, when we went to the horse/bull ranch from the canal barge.  I shipped them home, along with some other things I bought, so I'd have room in my carry on.  The low-tops were perfect for walking around and wearing with dresses.  The hi-tops were also perfect for walking around and wearing with certain dresses.  

For my 12 day trip to both US Coasts for a girls weekend in So. CA and a wedding in S.Central PA with a day wandering around Washington DC. I had 3 pairs of shoes.  Wore my Olu kai hi-tops on all the flights I had (3).  I wore the hi-tops and the Olu kai low tops day and night everywhere, as there were no dresses involved.  For the wedding, I brought my tan cowgirl booties to wear with the dress I brought.  in the end, I could have left the low tops at home.  I do have a nice pair of leather flats laying around, but they always seem to be too dressy for my usual clothes or not dressy enough.  if I still worked at my last 2 hotel Front Desks, they would be great.

I'm just not a sandal or heel person - no heels because of my reconstructed ankle and no sandals because I just don't like them (never have).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aungrl said:

Lois, which three did you end up with?

Hi, a pair of all black Skechers that are what I consider a mule. Closed toe open back, very cushioned and comfy. Another black pair of flats by the brand Spring Step and a pair of Bzees that I wore mostly on The Denali portion of this trip. They are good for walking and lightweight at the same time. I have been wearing the Skechers 95% of the time while on the ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, OCruisers said:

Sounds like you have a good "shoe plan" because you need to take at least four pairs.

I think the key is having a plan.  When you just throw things in willy-nilly, that's when you end up with a bunch of junk you don't need ... and missing things you do need.  

I literally just put our suitcase in the car for our Saturday cruise, and I'm taking 4 pair of shoes. 

- I'm wearing white tennis shoes (look like Keds but aren't). 

- I'm packing brown Sketchers walking sandals.  The tennis shoes and sandals are both good for shorts, tee-dresses, around the ship or going ashore -- they are my workhorses.  

- I'm packing brown/gold wedge sandals to elevate casual dresses and my white jeans a bit. 

- I'm packing water shoes.  I really went back and forth on these, but we will be doing one beach day, and I decided it was a worthwhile splurge.

My husband is wearing his boat shoes, packing his tennis shoes and water shoes. 

On 9/5/2021 at 9:30 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

I don't dress up often, but when I do, I do. I think my suit, shirt, tie, and shoes are more than all of my other clothes combined. It is crazy. Still trying to figure it out. My formal shoes weigh nothing, I mean 1Lb or less.

Yeah, shoes don't weigh much, but they take up so much space -- especially those boats my husband wears.  

Like I said, I literally just put our suitcase in the car, and it never ceases to amaze me:  I packed clothes for an 8-day cruise, and the 5 pairs of shoes in our suitcase take about 70% of the space that our clothes require!  

On 9/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, peanut head said:

Take what you like!  You'll be sorry and so will your feet if you don't keep them comfy.  Remember the old adage, when your feet hurt your whole body hurts.

Well, that means you need a pair of really comfortable shoes ... doesn't mean you need a bunch of shoes.  

My daughter, who is a nurse, says something similar:  If you don't take care of your feet, your knees will go.  If you don't take care of your knees, your hips will go; and when your hips are gone, mobility is very likely a thing of the past.  

On 10/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, GrammieK said:

Everybody needs a hobby...mine is shoes. Every time I pack I think “hmmmm... which pair can I leave out” and none volunteer!  😂

I'm not sure shoes are a hobby.  

On 10/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, clo said:

I think it's great that you're not a slave to fashion. Even though "high heels" are rapidly going out of style you just continue to enjoy them, girlfriend 🙂

High heels aren't anywhere close to going out of style.  

On 8/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, awhfy said:

I like packing things that I know I will abandon; it seems to be a good plan.  

Is anyone here allergic to wool?  I'm wondering if SmartWool affects you the same way as "traditional" wool? 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, Lois R said:

I don't buy souvenirs so that won't be an issue. And living where I do, I have no desire to buy a fleece vest. I do have plenty of jackets in the closet to choose from......one includes a lined hooded rain jacket so will bring it. 

I don't buy souvenirs either.  

I'm researching Alaskan cruises, and I read something yesterday from a blogger who suggested buying inexpensive warm layers from ebay, then re-selling them after the trip.  Seems sensible to me.

19 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I think the key is having a plan.  When you just throw things in willy-nilly, that's when you end up with a bunch of junk you don't need ... and missing things you do need.  

I literally just put our suitcase in the car for our Saturday cruise, and I'm taking 4 pair of shoes. 

- I'm wearing white tennis shoes (look like Keds but aren't). 

- I'm packing brown Sketchers walking sandals.  The tennis shoes and sandals are both good for shorts, tee-dresses, around the ship or going ashore -- they are my workhorses.  

- I'm packing brown/gold wedge sandals to elevate casual dresses and my white jeans a bit. 

- I'm packing water shoes.  I really went back and forth on these, but we will be doing one beach day, and I decided it was a worthwhile splurge.

My husband is wearing his boat shoes, packing his tennis shoes and water shoes. 

Yeah, shoes don't weigh much, but they take up so much space -- especially those boats my husband wears.  

Like I said, I literally just put our suitcase in the car, and it never ceases to amaze me:  I packed clothes for an 8-day cruise, and the 5 pairs of shoes in our suitcase take about 70% of the space that our clothes require!  

Well, that means you need a pair of really comfortable shoes ... doesn't mean you need a bunch of shoes.  

My daughter, who is a nurse, says something similar:  If you don't take care of your feet, your knees will go.  If you don't take care of your knees, your hips will go; and when your hips are gone, mobility is very likely a thing of the past.  

I'm not sure shoes are a hobby.  

High heels aren't anywhere close to going out of style.  

I like packing things that I know I will abandon; it seems to be a good plan.  

Is anyone here allergic to wool?  I'm wondering if SmartWool affects you the same way as "traditional" wool? 

I don't buy souvenirs either.  

I'm researching Alaskan cruises, and I read something yesterday from a blogger who suggested buying inexpensive warm layers from ebay, then re-selling them after the trip.  Seems sensible to me.

Hi, I have never shopped on Ebay......nope, never. I had enough warm clothes for this trip. (I got home last night). Actually, I packed light and there were still clothes I didn't wear!

• Like 1

I've only bought 1 thing on eBay - a Sherpani bag in the Hula Girl pattern,  and  that was a long time ago...

Regarding Smartwool:  love the socks.  Don't bother me at all.  i've only had 1 shirt (when I worked outside at the ski resort) and it wasn't scratchy.   I buy Woolx now for my wool shirt needs.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2022 at 3:46 PM, Lois R said:

What line  are you going on?

Hi girls,  I don't wear high heels but I have been to several retail stores lately that all had shoe departments and high heels are definitely NOT going out of style.  I was looking around for  a lower wedge.......THAT I had a very hard time finding......actually I did not even find one I liked.  But as I was searching I took notice of a lot of the styles........there are PLENTY of high heeled choices out there.

I am not sure why I continued to look but I saw everything from a high stiletto to a big, clunky, chunky heel. I don't wear either style......but that is just me. 

• Like 1