Canadian - NCL Travel Protection or Private Insurance

scoobiewife

I was reading NCL's Travel Protection and have a couple questions:

1.  Does it cover Canadians?

If it does:

1. It seems like it covers alot - from Travel Protection/Interruption to Medical including Covid for a very cheap price - am I missing something?

2. Do you need private insurance in addition?

Thanks,

A quick review of what I found via a quick google search

1. Includes CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) if you cancel before scheduled ship departure time. 75% future cruise credit for amount of scheduled penalty.

2. $20,000 in Medical coverage. Better than some cruiseline insurance policies. Way too low in my opinion. Can you financially cover the potential rest of $100+K?

Private insurance in addition? Don't understand the question.

Also, please note that Travel Insurance does not pay any money directly to any providers. If you find yourself in a situation that may be covered by your travel insurance, YOU pay out of pocket, then you file for reimbursement.

Cruise line insurance is secondary meaning it would pay after any other insurance you may have. If you don’t have other coverage, then the cruise line becomes primary. 

At least that it the way it works in the US market. I don’t know if it would be different for Canadians.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 11:36 PM, Babr said:

Cruise line insurance is secondary meaning it would pay after any other insurance you may have. If you don’t have other coverage, then the cruise line becomes primary. 

At least that it the way it works in the US market. I don’t know if it would be different for Canadians.

There are travel insurance policies available in the USA that have *primary* coverage.  This may involve a very modest surcharge (I haven't looked particularly recently, but it used to be $25 for our type of policy).

It definitely makes any reimbursement easier and usually faster, given that there is no need to provide proof that another insurer has denied the claim.  (In the USA, a frequent problem is with Medicare, because they can take a bit of time to make that "denial", and until one has that, there's no payment from the secondary insurer.)

And third-party travel insurance can cover higher medical/medevac costs and it may also provide "cash back" rather than a "credit" that might have a time limit.  So one could use it for any other replacement vacation, with any provider or just on your own, etc.

GC