NCL and Canadians with Mixed Vaccines

scoobiewife

9 hours ago, LeDemonBlond said:

What bugs me is that there is lots of data to support mixing of astrazeneca with mrna ones. It is highly effective. However, regulatory bodies that exist in Canada, US, Europe, Asia and everywhere in between  seem to share some data and reject other data. It seems the sharing of data among usually very informed and caring health professionals in all these countries should be better than it is.  I have the astrazeneca vaccine but its the one made in India vs the UK or USA, is that going to be ultimately rejected because its from India? Does it not matter that Health Canada ( and many other countries) accepted that the vaccine was made to spec.  A not so insignificant chunk of the world is getting the covid vaccine from China. Will that be rejected because it does not work or the fact its from China?   

I don't want to get a 3rd shot just for travel because the country I want to go to does not accept mixed doses. I will if I have to. 

They always say trust the science, then they should do that. Look at how effective these vaccines are in the countries they serve and accept them as legit and allow those people who have them into your country.  

It looks like NB may be leaning towards 3rd doses for those with mixed ones. So it seems more and more provinces are heading in that direction. With an election a couple weeks away we wont hear any news out of NACI since I suspect Trudeau (following the political science) has quieted them until the 21st.  I bet after the 21st there will be a note from NACI that indicates there are no issues with a 3rd dose in a mixed dose regimen. Then it will become country wide.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeDemonBlond said:

What bugs me is that there is lots of data to support mixing of astrazeneca with mrna ones. It is highly effective. However, regulatory bodies that exist in Canada, US, Europe, Asia and everywhere in between  seem to share some data and reject other data. It seems the sharing of data among usually very informed and caring health professionals in all these countries should be better than it is.  I have the astrazeneca vaccine but its the one made in India vs the UK or USA, is that going to be ultimately rejected because its from India? Does it not matter that Health Canada ( and many other countries) accepted that the vaccine was made to spec.  A not so insignificant chunk of the world is getting the covid vaccine from China. Will that be rejected because it does not work or the fact its from China?   

I don't want to get a 3rd shot just for travel because the country I want to go to does not accept mixed doses. I will if I have to. 

They always say trust the science, then they should do that. Look at how effective these vaccines are in the countries they serve and accept them as legit and allow those people who have them into your country.  

No, it doesn't matter to the FDA that Health Canada has approved "X" or "Y" vaccine for use in Canada. The US avoided the thalidomide crisis in the late 1950s and early 1960s when the FDA rejected the application for the drug's approval on the grounds that it lacked sufficient evidence of safety through rigorous clinical trials. Health Canada's unfortunate approval of the drug, along with the approval of many other countries' regulatory bodies, did not sway the FDA. While COVID vaccines and thalidomide are not comparable, the rigour of the approval system should never be compromised.

When people complain about the stubbornness of the US over the AZ vaccine, it would serve them well to remember thalidomide. It would also be helpful to remember that AstraZeneca has yet to even submit a request for Emergency Use Approval to the FDA. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When people complain about the stubbornness of the US over the AZ vaccine, it would serve them well to remember thalidomide. It would also be helpful to remember that AstraZeneca has yet to even submit a request for Emergency Use Approval to the FDA. 

Good points on thalidomide. AZ pulled its emergency use voluntarily in favor of applying for full FDA approval. I believe they applied a couple of weeks ago if I recall correctly. If it does get full FDA approval it wont necessarily mean mixed doses will suddenly be fine of course. That will still be a hurdle to get over.

7 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Good points on thalidomide. AZ pulled its emergency use voluntarily in favor of applying for full FDA approval. I believe they applied a couple of weeks ago if I recall correctly. If it does get full FDA approval it wont necessarily mean mixed doses will suddenly be fine of course. That will still be a hurdle to get over.

AZ had talked about applying for full approval, but to the best of my knowledge hasn't actually done so to date. I spent a bit of time with Google looking for an update before posting and didn't find anything, so if you have a link, I'd appreciate seeing it.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

AZ had talked about applying for full approval, but to the best of my knowledge hasn't actually done so to date. I spent a bit of time with Google looking for an update before posting and didn't find anything, so if you have a link, I'd appreciate seeing it.

Dont have a link but I thought I had heard it on CNN a couple of weeks ago. I'll see what I can dig up

On 9/8/2021 at 6:31 AM, MaddyandMax said:

I gotta tell you...  My family (13 of us) have 3 cruises booked 2021/22 and I am INSULTED by Royal.  All my emails to them they blamed the CDC, which we knew never made sense.  Now I am finding out they are admitting to others that this was a Board decision.

I believe my family has decided that we are going to take our money (and our mixed vaccines) and book elsewhere.  My parents are diamond plus but to alienate Canadians like this.  Canadians who did the right thing...  On top of the fact that all scientific evidence clearly points to the fact that we are just as protected from covid, maybe even more protected...

I completely agree with the above! Spend your money where it will be appreciated.

I'm considering where in Canada I have not been before - we have a huge and beautiful country - so my initial trips when I'm comfortable with travel again will not need my passport (or any worry about my AZ/Pfizer mixed dose vaccination status)....😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No, it doesn't matter to the FDA that Health Canada has approved "X" or "Y" vaccine for use in Canada. The US avoided the thalidomide crisis in the late 1950s and early 1960s when the FDA rejected the application for the drug's approval on the grounds that it lacked sufficient evidence of safety through rigorous clinical trials. Health Canada's unfortunate approval of the drug, along with the approval of many other countries' regulatory bodies, did not sway the FDA. While COVID vaccines and thalidomide are not comparable, the rigour of the approval system should never be compromised.

Need to clarify what I'm getting at. I am not saying that the United States for example should start  to use astra zeneca or start to use mixed vaccines for their own citizens. That is understandable they have their process.  What I am saying is that so far, mixed vaccines appear to be effective and have helped millions in many countries. Why would they not allow Canadians into the country who as far as Health Canada is concerned are fully vaccinated?    

37 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

Why would they not allow Canadians into the country who as far as Health Canada is concerned are fully vaccinated?    

Because it is a different country and they can do whatever they want.

The U.S. doesn't care what Health Canada has decided.

Now here is what I am seeing/reading from many Canadians here. We can travel within Canada and we can even travel to the U.S. with a mixed vaccine (or no vaccine as it is now).

It is really only cruise ships that we can't go on because of the CDC. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

Need to clarify what I'm getting at. I am not saying that the United States for example should start  to use astra zeneca or start to use mixed vaccines for their own citizens. That is understandable they have their process.  What I am saying is that so far, mixed vaccines appear to be effective and have helped millions in many countries. Why would they not allow Canadians into the country who as far as Health Canada is concerned are fully vaccinated?    

To address your last point, at the current time there is no requirement for you to be vaccinated in order to fly into the US. Consequently, what vaccine you may have is immaterial. 

On your broader issue, it's simply a question of jurisdiction. Consider recreational marijuana use, perfectly legal in Canada but illegal in most US states. Just because Canada has approved its use doesn't mean that the US should allow Canadians to use it in those states where it remains illegal. Similarly, just because Canada has approved certain vaccine combinations for its residents doesn't mean that the US should accept those combinations if not approved in the US. 

Jurisdictional issues don't need to be international in nature. Currently, the minimum legal drinking age is 18 years of age in Alberta, Manitoba and Québec, and 19 years in the rest of the country. While it may be fine for an 18 year old living in Edmonton to go down to the local pub for a brew, that doesn't mean that he or she can do the same thing while visiting Vancouver.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Itis really only cruise ships that we can't go on because of the CDC

Not so. The CDC has no problem with mixed mRNA vaccinations. Nor does it insist that all passengers be vaccinated. Look to the cruise lines if you feel a need to place blame.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not so. The CDC has no problem with mixed mRNA vaccinations. Nor does it insist that all passengers be vaccinated. Look to the cruise lines if you feel a need to place blame.

Sorry I should have clarified. I"m talking about AZ/Moderna or Pfizer mixes.

A number of people on these threads have received written answers from the CDC that under certain circumstances ( including those which our government used to make us safe this spring ) mixed vaccines are accepted. I am referring to AZ with Pfizer or Moderna. 

It is the cruise lines who are rejecting the science and CDC guidelines.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, broberts said:

The cruise lines sure have made a mess of things haven't they? I get that its a difficult decision but had most cruise lines simply got together agreed on a vaccination acknowledgement/review strategy and a common strategy to deal with DeSantis, things would be different. The reason we cancelled 3 cruises was only in part because of the mixed vaccine issue. The other reason was the constant confusion and changing rules plus the added costs of PCR tests, antigen test and the ever changing rules for when you do get on board. It was all too confusing. We just gave up and decided to do something else with our money. When/if the cruise lines return with a semblance of sanity in their approach, we may look at cruising again but I suspect that time is more than a year away at this point.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, scoobiewife said:

Just noticed that NCL has added the following statement regarding Mixed Vaccines for ships leaving from a US port:

A mixed vaccination protocol of only Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations (mRNA vaccines) with a minimum interval of 28 days.

My daughter and her husband are Pfizer/Moderna vaccinated 60 days apart.  I wrote directly to the CEO, Harry Sommer, and he responded that they are good to go.

Good to see this. It was causing a concern for us too.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, scoobiewife said:

On 9/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, broberts said:

The CDC considers mixed mRNA vaccination acceptable. I believe it only rejects AZ / mRNA mixes.

True, I received a letter from CDC recognizing my wife and I as mixed mRNAs as fully vaccinated, it s even in their website, its RCL who has dropped the ball on this and many Canadians are travelling elsewhere.

I was watching JJ Cruise's live feed the other day and they noted how NCL is allowing the mixed MRNA vaccines.  They said they "heard" through the grapevine that Royal and Celebrity might be following suit shortly. I mean, do they want to lose all that business to NCL? I highly doubt it.  I am sure that is coming down the pipes in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Carnival is also now accepting mixed MRNA vaccines.  I don't know about sister lines (eg. Princess, HAL)

Carnival was always accpeting mixed mrna doses. Their website doesn't say anything about a 42 day interval or anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Carnival was always accpeting mixed mrna doses. Their website doesn't say anything about a 42 day interval or anything.

Maybe I knew that .... and forgot... Kinda hard to keep track.  I have just checked both Princess and HAL and they accept mixed MRNA as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Maybe I knew that .... and forgot... Kinda hard to keep track.  I have just checked both Princess and HAL and they accept mixed MRNA as well. 

I think we need to pin a chart with the cruiselines and what they accept for vaccines 🙂