What is CANT MISS unique Alaska?

SFplusP

Help me out here. I booked last minute leaving NEXT WEEK because I found a GREAT deal. 

We will stop in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan. 

Usually I book a year (or more!) in advance, and I've never cruised leaving anywhere but Florida, going to the Carribean/Bahamas. I usually have a TON of time to plan and this time I have only one week, plus I have to pack, arrange Covid testing and all that. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me, so what things should one see in the ports? It will just be me traveling alone for this trip. I'm 32 and can handle moderate activity levels. Normally I'm drawn to animal experiences or adventure (ziplining and things like that) but really just want to see what is unique to Alaska on this trip, not do something I could do elsewhere. 

Be sure to layer your clothing.  Take rain gear and shoes that are weatherproof.  You can see Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, there is a good zipline in Icy Strait Point, check out the excursions offered by the cruise ship.  Skagway has a bus and White Pass train combo or enjoy the park service exhibits.  You didn’t say which cruise line you are on but I’m guessing your itinerary does not visit a tidewater glacier.  You may have an opportunity with a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm.

Chose ship excursions that have a moderate to strenuous rating. DH & I are doing the Rainbird Trail in Ketchikan from the Catholic church back to the Creek St. area this Sunday. In Juneau we are going to hike some of the trails at the top of the Mt. Roberts tramway and do a city self-guided walking tour. When last in Skagway we rented a car and drove into the Yukon, but IDK what we will do this time around.

Do be aware of bears. And if you are not fearful of helicopters one of those excursions for a glacier hike would definitely be unique!

6 hours ago, Coral said:

I agree about Tracy Arm out of Juneau if time permits.

OP, I agree with Coral.

7 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

And if you are not fearful of helicopters one of those excursions for a glacier hike would definitely be unique!

Never have done that, but it would be "unique" Alaska.  I recommend from Ketchikan a Misty Fjord Floatplane trip that actually lands on a lake in the Fjord.  That trip remains my #1 favorite shore excursion that I have ever done anywhere.  

In Juneau, stop for lunch at Alaska Fish & Chips Company for excellent Halibut & Chips.  It's located in the large building at the start of the cruise ship docks that houses the Hanger on the Wharf Restaurant.  

In Skagway, a trip on the train as far as one is able to go (doubt that it goes into Canada at this time) is a good trip and traces the path of part of Alaska's history.  

At Icy Point they have the "Ziprider" or something like that - it's a zipline that's about 1 mile long and  you drop something like 1,200 feet.  You might find that interesting there.  I think there might be some good whale watching there too but depending on how long  you're there you might have to choose one or the other.  When we were there we did a sea kayak group and after that took a cooking-type class where you learned to cook salmon and  halibut - they have an outdoor wood fired grill and you get to cook some things you eat.  Kind of cool and the classroom was very nice.  That was about 5 years ago, hopefully they are still doing that class.  Good luck!

One of my favorite excursions in Juneau is the Canoe & Glacier Trek with Beyond and Above Alaska.  Gets you out and about and you get to walk on a glacier!

I’m not sure how the whale watching is right now in Alaska (never been in September) but Juneau is generally your best bet to see whales though I’ve been on a wonderful excursion in Icy Strait Point.  

My recommendations to first timers to get a taste of Alaska on a cruise:

Ketchikan —totems, kayak, Misty Fjords 

Juneau—glacier trek, whales

Skagway—train, Yukon, Gold Rush history

ISP—zip line (very fun but over quickly!), kayaking

Enjoy your cruise!

On 9/5/2021 at 9:18 PM, oaktreerb said:

Be sure to layer your clothing.  Take rain gear and shoes that are weatherproof.  You can see Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, there is a good zipline in Icy Strait Point, check out the excursions offered by the cruise ship.  Skagway has a bus and White Pass train combo or enjoy the park service exhibits.  You didn’t say which cruise line you are on but I’m guessing your itinerary does not visit a tidewater glacier.  You may have an opportunity with a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm.

I second what @okatreerb is saying. We lucked out wit beautiful weather but rain all day in Ketchikan. ISP def do the zip rider. Skagway we would’ve done the dog sledding glacier tour if it was being offered but we did the rock climbing & rappelling instead. If you’re scared of heights don’t this excursion. If we go on a cruise to Alaska in the future, we’ll do the white pass train. Def try the fried halibut at Skagway Brewing Co. they also offer their signature spruce beer, if you’re into IPAs.

Juneau the helicopter glacier walkabout was fantastic! They give you the gear and a Fanny pack with 1 bottle of water (which you can empty on the glacier and fill it up with fresh glacier water). We wanted to do the ice trek one but that was sold out. We wished we had more time in Juneau to explore.Ketchikan-we did the atv tour…since it rained, it was muddy which is better then having dust kicked up as your rode the atv. Bring gloves as your hands get cold.def stop at Alaska fish house for some crispy halibut & seafood chowder.

Edited by nitesiren

We were in Alaska at the end of July and had two fantastic excursions. First was the trip to Tracy Arm Fjord where you get very close to the glacier. Second was Expedition Black Bear out of Ketchikan when we were able to see bears fishing for salmon. This was an independent excursion and only is run when the salmon are running but it was a true Alaska experience. 

Bob

• Like 1

One of the best excursions ever was snorkeling in Ketchikan. We booked it through Princess, although it wasn't offered last month when I was on the Majestic Princess. On another cruise, I rented a bicycle in Skagway and biked Dyea Road. I was solo on that cruise (as well as last month). Another great excursion was kayaking in Mendenhall Lake. We also enjoyed kayaking in Chilkoot Lake in Haines. You can catch the ferry over there from Skagway.