Houston to Galveston Day of Departure?

casone

Sailing on Wednesday, October 20, 2021 out of Galveston.  We are driving to the port.  We have done this before and stayed in Galveston the night before the cruise, but my husband is vegan and gluten free and we had trouble finding somewhere to eat.  We are considering spending the night in Houston and driving to Galveston early the next morning.  We have a “well check” appointment at 12:30 p.m. on 10/20.  I assume we will be battling Houston rush hour traffic whether we head to Galveston on the afternoon of 10/19 or the morning of 10/20.  I would appreciate any thoughts regarding benefits/drawbacks to spending the night in Houston the night before the cruise!

We are in the the DFW area. I had a RCL cruise planned out of Galveston for August (We eventually cancelled that when they opened it to unvaccinated folks). Many of the Galveston island hotels had 2 night minimums for the weekend, and were quite expensive (Yes I realize it was a resort town), but we were looking for a bed for the night, different than a resort stay. I found a good selection just south of Houston around the NASA center for very reasonable prices. It is about 35 minutes north of Galveston. plenty of places to eat also. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:48 AM, casone said:

Sailing on Wednesday, October 20, 2021 out of Galveston.  We are driving to the port.   I assume we will be battling Houston rush hour traffic whether we head to Galveston on the afternoon of 10/19 or the morning of 10/20.  I would appreciate any thoughts regarding benefits/drawbacks to spending the night in Houston the night before the cruise!

depends where in Houston you plan on staying

reccommend staying south of the 10 and east of the westside 610 (unless Galleria area)

Less traffic going am to Galveston on a workday if you are south of Houston downtown

Edited by jonbgd

On 9/6/2021 at 9:48 AM, casone said:

Sailing on Wednesday, October 20, 2021 out of Galveston.  We are driving to the port.  We have done this before and stayed in Galveston the night before the cruise, but my husband is vegan and gluten free and we had trouble finding somewhere to eat.  We are considering spending the night in Houston and driving to Galveston early the next morning.  We have a “well check” appointment at 12:30 p.m. on 10/20.  I assume we will be battling Houston rush hour traffic whether we head to Galveston on the afternoon of 10/19 or the morning of 10/20.  I would appreciate any thoughts regarding benefits/drawbacks to spending the night in Houston the night before the cruise!

I am familiar with the traffic and distance from Houston to G. As long as you lodge near the Gulf you should be able to get in and out easily.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, AustinCruise said:

We drive from Austin on the morning of the cruise. But only Sundays so far. 

stay south of the city and you shouldn’t have major problems. Just allow a bit extra time. 

We are too!  Staying with my sister in Austin the night before the cruise.  Could you please tell me around how much time we should allot to driving from Austin to the cruise port?  Thank you!

23 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

We are too!  Staying with my sister in Austin the night before the cruise.  Could you please tell me around how much time we should allot to driving from Austin to the cruise port?  Thank you!

We come from the west side of town and typically allow just over 4 hours. Houston can be a bit unpredictable (probably not as much with Covid). 

• Like 1