Is it possible to fly in the day of cruise to Long Beach

lonig

We are flying from Phoenix to Long Beach and arrive in Long Beach by 10:00 am the morning of the cruise.  It is only an hour and 1/2 flight.  Can anyone tell me if that is doable?  We usually come in the day before but since it is such a short flight thought we could just arrive and get a shuttle to the ship.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Of course it's possible...And, most likely no problem...

Just, if it were me, I like to reduce stress to a minimum...So, I still like to go in the day before.  I am sailing out of San Pedro in October...and I am heading down to Pedro the day before and staying in a hotel...and I live an hour away...BY CAR!!  Things can go wrong...especially with air travel nowadays...

But, yes, highly likely you'll have little problem flying in the morning of your cruise...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, lonig said:

We are flying from Phoenix to Long Beach and arrive in Long Beach by 10:00 am the morning of the cruise.  It is only an hour and 1/2 flight.  Can anyone tell me if that is doable?  We usually come in the day before but since it is such a short flight thought we could just arrive and get a shuttle to the ship.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

No problem. You will be at the port by 1100-1115am. Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lonig said:

I live down the road in Tucson, and have been contemplating this, as well. If the early flight would be canceled, for mechanical reasons, for example, would I still be able to catch a later flight, and make to the cruise port on time? I'm still  weighing the odds, of each. 

On 9/8/2021 at 2:11 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Of course it's possible...And, most likely no problem... Just, if it were me, I like to reduce stress to a minimum...So, I still like to go in the day before.

I am with Steve. For example, we'd never fly into SF on the day of a cruise, too many things can go wrong. If we still lived in Santa Barbara and had a cruise out of San Diego, we'd go down the day before. We might even for San Pedro or Long Beach.

I booked two nights in LGB before my Panorama Cruise to enjoy the City. Found a Superhost Airbnb Room for $73 a night located 2.5 miles to the Port and less then a mile to downtown shopping, restaurants and Aquarium. 

Datapoint I live in SJC and booked a flight on Alaska to LAX in First Class at $208. If I need to do a rapid test I'll do it at LAX.

Edited by travelplus

To the Op

when younger we would fly from SFO to socal airports day of cruise not a problem

Nowadays if we arnt driving to a port we always fly in the day before

I commuted on planes for 10 years and saw alot of things going wrong

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the time it is fine, I've done it from LAX to Seattle.  We almost missed our ship because my son fell and had to have 8 stitches while playing outside of the cruise ship so things happen ( he was 3 at the time).  If you have the time and money get the hotel the day before, if you can 't then chance it.

• 2 weeks later...

Once had a 0930 hrs Delta flight to FL for a cruise.  It left at 2300 hrs that night and Delta never canceled it just kept saying delayed so they didn't have to pay compensation.  We arrived at 1030 hrs the next morning in FL and were zombies.  Luckily we went two nights early and not day of or one night prior.  Even PHX to LGB I would go the day before.  But roll the dice and see what happens.  Direct flight early morning probably not an issue.     

On 10/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, Ashland said:

PHX-LGB...day of should be no problem at all direct flight early morning...LGB is tiny. You'll probably be at the port in record time.

Of course "should be" are the key words. I am sure everyone thought flying from LA to Las Vegas yesterday on Southwest would be "no problem".

Do what you choose, but I'd never risk it.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, scottca075 said:

Of course "should be" are the key words. I am sure everyone thought flying from LA to Las Vegas yesterday on Southwest would be "no problem".

Do what you choose, but I'd never risk it.

DH had a 2 hr 40 min delay DEN-BUR yesterday.....My flight this past Friday DEN-BUR amazingly on time  with Southwest even with everything going on.

I'm definitely not a fan of Southwest regardless...but will find ourselves unfortunately doing the roundtrip BUR-DEN quite often now that our youngest son and his family have just relocated.

You just never know now with flight times....and the reason I'll always add the 

key words "should be".:classic_wink:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm definitely not a fan of Southwest regardless...but

Yes, but....  I am not a fan of Southwest either, but when my choices to Las Vegas from LAX or SNA are $49 on Southwest or $249 on American or United.....  the choice becomes pretty easy. Just don't ever look for me on one of Southwest's flights to Honolulu.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie2086 said:

Why not

1 hour ago, Eddie2086 said:

I arrive 1010. Carnival transfer at luggage carousel for Southwest. 25 minute bus ride

You arrive at 10:10AM assuming the flight takes off on time or takes off at all.

I was going to graduate school in Reno NV. I was flying to London out of LAX on a 10PM flight. There were a dozen flights I could have chosen that would get me into LAX before 8PM to make my London flight comfortably. I chose a 7AM flight knowing that if push came to shove and my flight was cancelled I'd have more flight options and worse case scenario, I could still drive to LAX and make my flight.

Well yes, not only was the flight cancelled, but all flights in and out of RNO were closed because of snow and fog. There were two girls whose connecting flight to Hawaii was leaving at 9:30AM, needless to say, they were not going to make it.

I did make my 10PM flight to London with no problem, because I had planned for contingencies. Some things you cannot control, so you have to control what you can. That includes planning for worst case scenarios.

• 2 months later...