When things are more normal........

Waju

I hope I'm OK to post this here but it's really the only bit of the forum I read.

As the title says, when things are more back to normal does anyone know how this would work?  If I was to visit Spain for instance for 3 months in the winter and then a cruise came up for a couple of weeks or so in the Med or the Canaries would I not be able to go as I had had my 90 days in 180 days out of the country?  I'm wondering how anyone would know, do you think when we are able to get off a ship say in Barcelona for the day will our passports be scanned now we are now we are post Brexit?

Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Hi Dermotsgirl and thanks for your reply.  I wouldn't have any intention of trying to 'get round' the system - I'm too much of a scaredy cat for that 😟

I would be gutted though if I saw a bargain cruise and then had to work out how may days I had left to see if I could go!

1 hour ago, Waju said:

If I was to visit Spain for instance for 3 months in the winter and then a cruise came up for a couple of weeks or so in the Med or the Canaries would I not be able to go as I had had my 90 days in 180 days out of the country? 

What rule are you referring to?

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

What rule are you referring to?

That you can visit an EU country for 90 days in any 180 days - at least that's my understanding but I could have it completely wrong!

Ah, I think your original post mean to say "had my 90 days in the country".

You are right about the 90/180 rule which applies cumulatively to all countries in the Schengen common travel area.

You can however get a visa to extend this. Some countries are more flexible if its just a same day arrive/depart by cruise ship but can't remember if that includes Spain.

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

You are right about the 90/180 rule which applies cumulatively to all countries in the Schengen common travel area.

You can however get a visa to extend this. Some countries are more flexible if its just a same day arrive/depart by cruise ship but can't remember if that includes Spain.

Sorry, yes you're right, that's what I meant.

Interesting if you could extend that for short visits but I'd rather the days when we could pop in and out of these countries when we liked.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Waju said:

That you can visit an EU country for 90 days in any 180 days - at least that's my understanding but I could have it completely wrong!

It isn’t visiting *an* EU country for 90 days in any 180, it is visiting *ANY* Schengen countries for 90 days in 180. So if you visit France for 50 and Spain for 50 within the same 180 day period you have broken the rules.

Not all EU counties are in Schengen at the moment (but are looking to join) - Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania are not, so you could do 50 days in Cyprus and 50 in Spain and be fine.

However some non-EU countries are members of Schengen - Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, and time in those countries count against the 90 in 180, so 50 in Norway and 50 in Spain and you have broken the rules.

The 180 days is a ‘rolling’ 180 days and the easiest way to find out if your stay complies with the rules is to use one of the many Schengen calculators such as this one https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

3 minutes ago, picsa said:

It isn’t visiting *an* EU country for 90 days in any 180, it is visiting *ANY* Schengen countries for 90 days in 180. So if you visit France for 50 and Spain for 50 within the same 180 day period you have broken the rules.

Not all EU counties are in Schengen at the moment (but are looking to join) - Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania are not, so you could do 50 days in Cyprus and 50 in Spain and be fine.

However some non-EU countries are members of Schengen - Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, and time in those countries count against the 90 in 180, so 50 in Norway and 50 in Spain and you have broken the rules.

The 180 days is a ‘rolling’ 180 days and the easiest way to find out if your stay complies with the rules is to use one of the many Schengen calculators such as this one https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

It used to be so easy 😟  I appreciate your input though, I didn't know about the calculators.

19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It isn’t impossible to extend a short stay 90/180 day Schengen visa, but it is difficult and expensive in most cases - https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/how-to-extend-schengen-visa/ and unlikely to be worthwhile for a few days holiday.