Your Coronavirus vaccination may have an official validity end date

notamermaid

...when travelling abroad.

1 Switzerland: When looking through the Swiss official websites I noticed that they only regard you as fully vaccinated for 12 months: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#-440105700

2 Austria: they regard you as fully vaccinated for 270 days 

3 Croatia: they regard you as fully vaccinated for 210 days 

For 2 and 3 see (in German): https://www.rnd.de/reise/corona-impfung-oesterreich-und-kroatien-fuehren-ablaufdatum-ein-M7OS5NZ5MZGTTIXNNNPM5ZAB3E.html

So far I have not come across any other announcements like that. As we know now, protection does vane so there could well be more to come of this sort.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for the info. We are booked on Scenic, Amsterdam to Basel in Sept 2022, along with a land portion in Switzerland. A lot can happen between now and then, but I guess we will have to carefully monitor the rules for the various countries we will be visiting during that trip. For now I am glad it is in the future as this all gives me a major headache just contemplating it.

I was a bit surprised that countries have already put a time frame on it. I think Germany has not yet, as far as I can see in the online documents.

When you think about it, travelling to Austria could already mean that you get a "rude awakening" if you have been fully vaccinated in February and travel in December for a Christmas market cruise. I had to check this of course. An example: if by the standard rule you were declared fully vaccinated on 10 March your status will have already run out by 10 December in Austria as it is 275 days.

Now, that is the governments deciding, so you can still get into that country with a test instead if I understand it correctly. But what will be when this applies to more people come Winter - who knows? Restrictions? Asking for proof of booster jabs?

And what will airlines and river cruise companies say? "We only allow fully vaccinated passengers on board" - will they put an end date on that definition? For most people that is quite a bit into the future, but I would say something to watch.

notamermaid

P.S. If our gracious host would be so kind as to change the word Dutch in my previous post to Swiss, I would be much obliged. @Host JazzbeauThank you.

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now, that is the governments deciding, so you can still get into that country with a test instead if I understand it correctly. But what will be when this applies to more people come Winter - who knows? Restrictions? Asking for proof of booster jabs?

And we have the WHO asking countries NOT to provide booster shots, so that more of the world can be vaccinated.

The Re-open EU web site has been for me the best place to keep up with all of the countries from one location.  Towards the bottom of the page select the Measures in Place tab and then enter the country you want to know about.  This will take you to a country specific page and on the right is a group of graphics which each one a different subject; travel into the country, measures in place, vaccination requirements, links to entry forms, etc.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

The 270 days max for a valid vaccine is also listed on the Vienna Tourist Information web site.  My spouse is going to need a booster to visit on our Danube cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is an indirectly connected scenario. People who have been vaccinated with an unapproved vaccine as per definition by the EU (or destination country), which could be the Indian version of the AstraZenaca or others from outside of the EU, may well not be "fully vaccinated". Check your destination country in Europe what it has decided.

One person's problem as an example:

https://www.dw.com/en/between-sputnik-v-and-biontech-caught-in-vaccine-limbo/a-58915981

notamermaid

• 5 weeks later...

That booster is a good question. Does it renew the time, i.e. going to Austria for example in December and you get a booster shot in November, does it count? CDC card with three dates or a new QR code necessary? Practicalities to get anyone's head spinning I think.

I have just read that the German QR code for Germans is valid for 12 months, so I assume this means the German government will have to decide before 10 January 2022 what to do with the first lucky chosen ones who got the first shot just after Christmas? There are booster shots being offered for vulnerable people but what about the others?

Many unanswered questions that will keep popping up for travellers in winter I think.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That booster is a good question. Does it renew the time, i.e. going to Austria for example in December and you get a booster shot in November, does it count? CDC card with three dates or a new QR code necessary? Practicalities to get anyone's head spinning I think.

I have just read that the German QR code for Germans is valid for 12 months, so I assume this means the German government will have to decide before 10 January 2022 what to do with the first lucky chosen ones who got the first shot just after Christmas? There are booster shots being offered for vulnerable people but what about the others?

Many unanswered questions that will keep popping up for travellers in winter I think.

notamermaid

I got my booster shot two weeks ago; I would have been ineligible for our December 7 cruise starting in Vienna otherwise.  I sure hope the booster will make me eligible again!  I'm going to ask my TA to confirm this before we make our final payment next week.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just got our 3rd/booster shot yesterday.

Think we're good to go for a while...

I got mine this week but the lovely Ms W. is six years younger and not eligible for number three for a while. We're not crusing again until April so not sure where we'll be by then. 🤷‍♀️

Paul

• 1 month later...

From 3 January the vaccine certificate issued to Austrians that have had the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will no longer be valid. Remember that Austria no longer regards you fully vaccinated if your full vaccination cycle does not comply with the 270 days rule, as of 6 December that is. This website says it has a calculator to check if you fit into that, but is in the process of being updated: https://gruenerpass.gv.at/en/geimpft/

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:20 PM, Wings55 said:

I got mine this week but the lovely Ms W. is six years younger and not eligible for number three for a while. We're not crusing again until April so not sure where we'll be by then. 🤷‍♀️

Paul

She maybe eligible tomorrow..... Looks like they are changing the eligibility.

I really appreciate that you all are following this issue.  We got our first booster (third Moderna) on October 25, 2021, and I certainly hope that that will be sufficient for our AMAMagna Danube cruise June 2022 - of course, we will be happy to get our second booster in April, if that is allowed.

• Like 1

Ze big wannabe overlord EU has made another suggestion, 270 days only, you become a "do not want you in here" on the 271st day: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/25/eu-set-propose-nine-month-expiry-date-covid-vaccine-passports/

Expiry date, sounds a bit like end date in Blade Runner... We take milk off the shelf after the expiry date!

I think I need the hut in the Vosges mountains - or Peppa Pig World. 😉

notamermaid

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2021 at 11:21 AM, notamermaid said:

Expiry date

270 days, the EU Commission has spoken: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_6837

This is intra-EU travel. Note that a member state does not have to implement this or may even deviate from this. Especially when entering the EU by plane check what will apply to you.

Here are some more details on Schengen agreement countries: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/another-schengen-country-to-shorten-validity-of-vaccination-certificates-from-january-15/

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Canal archive said:

New Forest Hampshire

Never been, I have often wondered what the area is like. Kind of been around it but not there. What bliss it will be to get to England again without restrictions, looks like this is coming very much into view.

But other countries in Europe, here talking of the EU, are a mess and multitude of restrictions still. About the validity of vaccination certificates: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travel-to-within-eu-to-become-more-difficult-for-persons-holding-expiring-vaccination-passes/

notamermaid

Just received an email from my TA.  As of 01 February, Viking will be requiring passengers to have had the booster shot.  Looks like that is how they are approaching the "expiration" of COVID vaccine validity.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:00 AM, loriva said:

Just received an email from my TA.  As of 01 February, Viking will be requiring passengers to have had the booster shot.  Looks like that is how they are approaching the "expiration" of COVID vaccine validity.

A logical step I suppose. It makes logistics for the company easier.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused (for a change) DH & I are  double vaxed & boosted. For Switzerland the web states 270 days and then "fully vaxed expires" Is this 270 from 2nd does or 270 days from booster? If boosted does the 270 days stand-ie do we have to get another booster?

Many thx in advance for help

Carole